• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

After Firefox New ESR update i.e. 10.0.5 Norton toolbar has stopped working and showing that It is incompatible with Firefox. I'm running norton 360 version 6.2.1.5 and there is no more update available for my version.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

After Firefox New ESR update i.e. 10.0.5 Norton toolbar has stopped working and showing that It is incompatible with Firefox. I'm running norton 360 version 6.2.1.5 and there is no more update available for my version.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Yes this is a constant problem...same for me

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Did you upgrade Firefox first?

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Hi Yasshul,

We support only from Firefox 11.X and above.

Please see more information from this thread http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Attention-Firefox-3-through-10-users/m-p/706331/highlight/true#M372

Please upgrade firefox to latest one and enable the addons in FF->Tools->Addons->Extension-> Enable "Norton Toolbar,Norton Vulnerability Protection" then Restart FF and check the behavior again.

Let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Senthil,

Did you really mean tosay that you will not support Firefox ESR Releases from now onwards? Thats really very very bad support from Norton. Firefox has created ESR for the corporate user so that they dont have to validate the addon again and again. Firefox will update all the security related issue in firefox 10 ESR hence new version 10.0.5.

Can you give us a reason not to support it?

Regards,

Rahul

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

I agree that Firefox ESR 10.x should be supported - I am using Firefox ESR precisely because it is stable and security-supported until early 2013, and because the original version of that forum post said that Norton would support Firefox from version 10 upwards. It now seems to have been updated to say 11 and upwards

I am using Norton Internet Security 2012.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

p.s. I can see why the original Firefox 10 should NOT be supported anymore; but Firefox ESR 10.x is a current version, the Norton add-ons have already been validated against ESR 10.0.4, and 10.0.5 is merely a security patch so the effort required to test it / risk involved in supporting it should be minimal. Furthermore, the Norton Vulnerability Protection extension (version 10.1.1.8 - 4) in my Firefox ESR 10.0.5 hasn't been disabled with the upgrade from 10.0.4, only my Norton Toolbar.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Your comment about the ESR version being for Corporate use, would indicate you should be using a corporate security solution. The Norton products in this forum are for home users.

Check the Symantec site for corporate users and see if they cover this.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

To be pedantic, Firefox ESR is intended for "organizations":

"Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations such as universities and other schools, county or city governments and businesses."

from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Maybe a consumer Norton product shouldn't support ESR - but to be honest, I can't see that it would take all that much effort or risk to do so in this specific case - the whole point of ESR is that it is based on an existing validated version, and then doesn't change except for security patches. I think Norton should be more generous and still support it.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Maybe you should post your comments to the Product Suggestion board of this forum.

Whether a corporation or "organization", the product is intended for larger institutions, that normally do not use home user versions of software.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Thanks for the suggestion - worth a try! I'll do it at the weekend when I've moer time.

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

While Firefox ESR was created at the demand of corporate users, it is also used by many home users who do not want to deal more than once per year with the incompatible extension issues which come with Firefox program upgrades. Someone with a 3-user Norton license could have 3 different sets of extensions to deal with. The ESR version of Firefox gets the security updates without the program updates for a year, and will then jump to something like 15ESR or 16ESR and keep that number for a year.

Firefox 10.o.x ESR is less than a year old. If Firefox hadn't joined in the Chrome version number race, its current non-ESR version would still be 10.x.x . There is no excuse for Norton not to support a Firefox version less than a year old.

My Norton Toolbar was disabled (and grayed out) by Norton Live Update pushing into my system a new Norton Toolbar version (2012.7.3.1) today (June 7th). I had not yet updated to Firefox 10.0.5ESR. I still have 10.0.4 on my system.

Could not Norton give users the ability to reinstall the version which worked a few days ago with Firefox10.0.4ESR, and then test the compatibility of its new version?

Save Search is a very important feature, and it requires the toolbar. I switched from AVG Internet Security, which has a safe search feature, to Norton very recently. I expected this feature to be superior in Norton, not to disappear.


Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

I myself have the same issue and I agree with BenArround, there is a large number of home users who choose not to deal with the issues that occur frequently from frequent Firefox updates, such as incompatible extensions, potential stability issues, etc. These users also want to make sure that any feature improvements to the browser, are thoroughly tested for compatibility reasons before they are installed.

Another good example of users that would install the ESR version of Firefox with Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 are company administrators that use it to interface with various workplace/administrative applications at the office via the web browser, and need to maintain a stable, thoroughly tested version of the browser to allow compatibility with the enterprise workplace.

The most important feature of the toolbar that I frequently use is the Identity Safe Integration into the browser. There is no excuse for Symantec to not support this feature in the ESR version of Firefox, for reasons defined above, and in BeenArround's previous post.

I have been a loyal supporter of Symantec's Norton Internet Security for many years and I've been able to recommend it to a large number of clients both personally and at the office based upon consistent ratings in industry publications, ease of use, and product features. Truly, I expected more of Symantec, to continue to support this feature with the ESR version of Firefox, which is stable and being kept updated with Security Patches.

Unfortunately if they're not going to support, in my opinion, one of the key features of the product, then myself, along with my clients that use Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 with the ESR version of the browser, will take our business elsewhere. There will also be many other users that feel the same way and will choose to do the same.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

RyanKass,

I'm a bit confused as to why when Norton says that their home user product is not going to support a commercial product you have a problem.

I don't know how big your 'a large number' is but it doesn't seen to be large enough to justify the resources necessary to take the toolbar into that area. Perhaps as the number of users grows it will be something that Norton can reevaluate at a later date.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Dick,

Hope things are well with you. Let me try to clarify:

There are reasons as to why home users would install the ESR or commercial version of the Firefox browser, some of which I, along with BeenArround identified in the two previous posts. Some of these home users are also administrators, that work for corporations and small businesses. They may only have a small number of PCs in their home and, like myself, see no reason to purchase and run the corporate version of Norton Internet Security (Symantec Endpoint).

However, as I mentioned previously, these users do see a reason to run the commercial version of Firefox, because they mainly want to free themselves from the compatibility issues that are associated with the many frequent updates that are released that are not security related. These updates seem to be prevalent with the consumer version of the browser. Firefox ESR is also for these people. As I mentioned before, they mainly want to be sure that any and all feature improvements are thoroughly tested for compatibility before installing updates.

Therefore, my biggest problem is that Symantec has chosen to stop supporting a feature of the software with this version of the browser, which is current, is being patched, and doesn't have the frequent compatibility issues that the consumer version of the browser does. There is simply no excuse for this. Unfortunately, if they are not going to re-evaluate their decision, or allow users a way to revert back to a previous version of the product that allows the Toolbar and Identity Safe integration to work, then I will be forced to stop recommending the product to my clients and take my business elsewhere. There will be other users that are just as disappointed as I am that will chose to do the same.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

dickevans,

You said, replying to RyanKass:
"I'm a bit confused as to why when Norton says that their home user product is not going to support a commercial product you have a problem."

I have a problem because when Firefox10 and Firefox10ESR came out in January 2012 it was the SAME program. During 2012 Firefox 10ESR will get only security updates while Firefox 10 will also get program updates and be renumbered Firefox 11, 12, 13 etc. In January 2013 Firefox will release Firefox 16 (or 17) and at the same time will release Firefox 16ESR (or 17ESR) - and they will be the same program!
As I stated in my earlier post, Firefox 10.o.x ESR is less than a year old. If Firefox hadn't joined in the Chrome version number race, its current non-ESR version would still be 10.x.x,. and Norton would still be supporting "version 10".

Why cannot Norton allow us to go back to the version of the toolbar we had before June 7th?

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


RyanKass wrote:

Dick,

Hope things are well with you. Let me try to clarify:

There are reasons as to why home users would install the ESR or commercial version of the Firefox browser, some of which I, along with BeenArround identified in the two previous posts. Some of these home users are also administrators, that work for corporations and small businesses. They may only have a small number of PCs in their home and, like myself, see no reason to purchase and run the corporate version of Norton Internet Security (Symantec Endpoint).

However, as I mentioned previously, these users do see a reason to run the commercial version of Firefox, because they mainly want to free themselves from the compatibility issues that are associated with the many frequent updates that are released that are not security related. These updates seem to be prevalent with the consumer version of the browser. Firefox ESR is also for these people. As I mentioned before, they mainly want to be sure that any and all feature improvements are thoroughly tested for compatibility before installing updates.

Therefore, my biggest problem is that Symantec has chosen to stop supporting a feature of the software with this version of the browser, which is current, is being patched, and doesn't have the frequent compatibility issues that the consumer version of the browser does. There is simply no excuse for this. Unfortunately, if they are not going to re-evaluate their decision, or allow users a way to revert back to a previous version of the product that allows the Toolbar and Identity Safe integration to work, then I will be forced to stop recommending the product to my clients and take my business elsewhere. There will be other users that are just as disappointed as I am that will chose to do the same.


Since I cannot and do not speak forr Norton or Symantec I will have to bow out of the conversation. The business reasons for their decisions are not shared with the users, which is all that I am, and only a volunteer here.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

RyanKass,

This thread does not appear to be monitored by a Norton official. Their announcement of non-support of Firefox 10 was made by Tim_Lopez, Administrator - see http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Attention-Firefox-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-or-10-users/td-p/678453
Is there a way we can bring our posts to his attention?

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


BeenArround wrote:

RyanKass,

This thread does not appear to be monitored by a Norton official. Their announcement of non-support of Firefox 10 was made by Tim_Lopez, Administrator - see http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Attention-Firefox-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-or-10-users/td-p/678453
Is there a way we can bring our posts to his attention?


Hi,

If you go to the post by Tim Lopez that you have linked to above, left click on his name (in Red behind the word Admin) and it will take you to his profile page.  On the profile page (right side under Contact you will see "Send this user a private message". Clicking on this link will open a message box addressed to Tim.  You can then add a Subject and then any text you wish for him to be aware of.  I would suggest you include a link to this thread so he can read all that has been said.

FYI - All you ever wanted to know about PM's (Private Messages):

http://community.norton.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/pm#pm

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

I apologize for the late reply on this thread. This is something our team is tracking, and we'll be deciding what to do about Firefox ESR and how that ties into the Norton Toolbar compatibility patches. Thanks for your patience.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread - that's great to hear that you are tracking it.

A quick technical suggestion: perhaps you could set minVersion in the Norton Toolbar install.rdf file to 10.0.x where 10.0.x tracks the latest version of ESR, i.e. 10.0.5 at the moment. (see below)

That way home users who are on the older non-ESR 10.0 versions will not get support (the non-ESR version only went up to 10.0.2), and only one version of ESR gets supported at a given time. I'm hoping this will reduce your testing and support costs.

Thanks. mond321

p.s. is there any need for me to raise this on the Product Suggestion board as suggested by peterweb earlier?

Excerpt from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19.5.0.145\coFFPlgn , edited as per my suggestion:

    <!-- Firefox -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <!-- firefox -->
        <em:minVersion>10.0.5</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>13.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

There's no need to add it to the Product Suggestion board now; we're tracking it. And thanks for the technical suggestion.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


peterweb wrote:

Maybe you should post your comments to the Product Suggestion board of this forum.

Whether a corporation or "organization", the product is intended for larger institutions, that normally do not use home user versions of software.


I have been stupid enough to suggest norton to support ie x64 version for about 2-3 years now...I dont think I will ever give any product suggestion in norton forum.

Tony... let me tell u one more thing...late support means no support. Ppl will eventually forced to use firefox latest version. You will be sucessful in whatever u will achieve by not support Firefox ESR release.

Rahul

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

I'm still willing to hold out hope for ESR support - whereas 64-bit support is a whole new platform for Norton to develop and test against, 10.0.5esr is almost the same product as the last Norton-supported version 10.0.4esr - security fixes only.

Personally I only use the Safe Web features of the Toolbar and not Identity Safe, I would be content with the Safe Web features being functional in ESR, although others will disagree. At a bare minimum, I'd like the Safe Web "OK" / "Tick logo" feature to work, if not the inline search results indicators.

I'd also say that it's a bit contradictory to support versions 11 and 12 of Firefox, both of which have known vulnerabilities and are no longer supported by Mozilla, but not to support ESR 10.0.5 which is up-to-date, and is virtually the same product as Firefox 10, which has already been supported by Norton previously (hence the initial testing work is already done, and the risk going forwards is minimal).

Anyhow, I am willing to wait patiently for now - I am hoping Norton will be generous enough to resume support for ESR (that's what I see it as - resuming support, not adding something entirely new) and realise it isn't a big risk or cost, and is entirely worth it to keep more customers happy.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and look into this. It's appreciated.

BeenArround,

Agreed that it's the same version, only thing that's different is the type of Firefox Updates - full (both new features and security or security only (ESR version).

mond321,

In regards to your last post, I feel that Symantec should support the whole thing, not just certain features of the toolbar. I think if you asked users as to "which features of the toolbar do you care about the most" there would be enough responses to warrant supporting all the features as they were designed.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


yaashul wrote:


 

I have been stupid enough to suggest norton to support ie x64 version for about 2-3 years now...I dont think I will ever give any product suggestion in norton forum.



Just because someone makes a suggestion in the forum, it does not mean it will be implimented. The 64 bit browser question has been brought up and discussed many times in these forums. A search will find many threads.

There is just not enough demand at the present time. When the time is right, it will be supported.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

peterweb,

this is not the thread to discuss x64 support for browser but I can assure u one thing...many ppl have virtually begged symantec to support x64 browser... its just that sometime the corporate becomes so big...there is no option to listen to individual users...

Rahul

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


peterweb wrote:

Your comment about the ESR version being for Corporate use, would indicate you should be using a corporate security solution. The Norton products in this forum are for home users.

Check the Symantec site for corporate users and see if they cover this.


Small companies like ours will definitely not switch to your corporate solutions. It is still us who decide which software is most suitable for us and wich we can afford. Firefox ESR is just a Firefox for people who want a stable & up-to-date browser which does not get its addons disabled every day because of new browser versions with new features noone really needs. I have to say that we switched to Firefox ESR exactly because Norton's browser plug-ins got constantly disabled as soon as Firefox got updated in the past. Now you tell us that you are not going to support ESR... If this is really the case, we will probably look for another anti-virus solution. For a similar reason we stopped using ESET Antivirus a few years ago. There are a lot of alternatives out there...

Best regards,
Anguel

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Anguel - as far as I am aware, peterweb does not speak on behalf of Norton. The official Norton response from Tony_Weiss is that they are "tracking" this issue at the moment and have not yet made a decision. Like you of course, I am hoping that they decide to support ESR soon!!

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


mond321 wrote:

Anguel - as far as I am aware, peterweb does not speak on behalf of Norton. The official Norton response from Tony_Weiss is that they are "tracking" this issue at the moment and have not yet made a decision. Like you of course, I am hoping that they decide to support ESR soon!!


Thanks for the reply, mond321. I am really disappointed because of the lacking ESR support. Because I don't have the time to wait to see how Symantec will decide, I have decided to immediately switch all computers here from ESR back to the "normal" Firefox. I just cannot afford to have that kind of "maybe" support when it comes to security. We see nowadays how intelligent modern malware is. I cannot afford to see malware slipping through Norton because of some overlooked ESR incompatibilites even if they decide to support ESR. Sad but true.

Best regards,

Anguel

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


alphalas wrote:

mond321 wrote:

Anguel - as far as I am aware, peterweb does not speak on behalf of Norton. The official Norton response from Tony_Weiss is that they are "tracking" this issue at the moment and have not yet made a decision. Like you of course, I am hoping that they decide to support ESR soon!!


Thanks for the reply, mond321. I am really disappointed because of the lacking ESR support. Because I don't have the time to wait to see how Symantec will decide, I have decided to immediately switch all computers here from ESR back to the "normal" Firefox. I just cannot afford to have that kind of "maybe" support when it comes to security. We see nowadays how intelligent modern malware is. I cannot afford to see malware slipping through Norton because of some overlooked ESR incompatibilites even if they decide to support ESR. Sad but true.

Best regards,

Anguel


As Mond321 says  I do not work for Norton. I am just one of the many users that volunteer here to try to help others. You can identify Norton employees by their names being in red letters.

As noted, Symantec  is now tracking this issue, due to the comments made in this thread. So your voice is being heard.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos3 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Thanks everyone. And as someone who does speak for Norton, we are still working on this one. I can't say right now when/if Firefox ESR will be supported, but we are taking it seriously. When I can share more information with you, I will. Thanks for letting us know how much the toolbar means to you.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


peterweb wrote:

As Mond321 says  I do not work for Norton. I am just one of the many users that volunteer here to try to help others. You can identify Norton employees by their names being in red letters.

As noted, Symantec  is now tracking this issue, due to the comments made in this thread. So your voice is being heard.


Sorry peterweb, thank you very much for trying to help others. I did not interpret your reply correctly, because it sounded like a standard marketing reply. Sorry again.

Best regards,

Anguel

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


Tony_Weiss wrote:

Thanks everyone. And as someone who does speak for Norton, are are still working on this one. I can't say right now when/if Firefox ESR will be supported, but we are taking it seriously. When I can share more information with you, I will. Thanks for letting us know how much the toolbar means to you.


Thank you Tony! It is good to know that employees are reading these forums. This is a big step towards satisfied customers.

Best regards,

Anguel

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


alphalas wrote:


Sorry peterweb, thank you very much for trying to help others. I did not interpret your reply correctly, because it sounded like a standard marketing reply. Sorry again.

Best regards,

Anguel



No problem.

It is easy for newer forum visitors to think they are dealing with Norton employees, especially when the Norton Support site sends them here to find answers to problems.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


Tony_Weiss wrote:

Thanks everyone. And as someone who does speak for Norton, we are still working on this one. I can't say right now when/if Firefox ESR will be supported, but we are taking it seriously. When I can share more information with you, I will. Thanks for letting us know how much the toolbar means to you.


Yes, thanks again Tony for looking into this.


alphalas wrote:

Small companies like ours will definitely not switch to your corporate solutions. It is still us who decide which software is most suitable for us and wich we can afford. Firefox ESR is just a Firefox for people who want a stable & up-to-date browser which does not get its addons disabled every day because of new browser versions with new features noone really needs. I have to say that we switched to Firefox ESR exactly because Norton's browser plug-ins got constantly disabled as soon as Firefox got updated in the past. Now you tell us that you are not going to support ESR... If this is really the case, we will probably look for another anti-virus solution. For a similar reason we stopped using ESET Antivirus a few years ago. There are a lot of alternatives out there...

Best regards,
Anguel



Alphalas, another good point. Small Companies/Businesses with only small handful of PCs decide themselves which software is the most suitable for them. It doesn't make since to them to purchase the corporate version and add the extra costs and associated overhead for the number of machines they have.

Your point as to why you switched to the ESR version is also a good one and is one of the reasons why users running Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 switched to the ESR version of Firefox. As I've said previously in this thread, these users simply don't want to deal with the headaches and compatibility issues associated with the frequent updates of the standard version of the browser.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry, we will not be supporting Firefox ESR 10.0.x. It's a considerable amount of work to implement this suggestion, and would require many changes to our current version. I can understand that some of you will be upset at this decision, and for that I apologize. It was a difficult decision, and our team did take your concerns into account. Again, I'm very sorry.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Tony,

It's very disappointing to hear of your team's decision. Are there any plans to revisit your teams decision with future Firefox ESR versions? How about the potential for implementation in a future version of Norton Internet Security or Norton 360?

Also, is there a way those of us using Firefox ESR can uninstall the update that disables the Toolbar as a workaround?

Thanks.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Hi RyanKass,

At this time, there aren't any plans to revisit this decision. There also aren't any plans for potential implementation in a future version of Norton Internet Security or Norton 360. The only "fix" I can think of would be to install Firefox 11, 12, or 13 on your system, but I imagine that's not something you'd want to do anyway.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Thanks for the information, Tony, although it's obviously not what I wanted to hear. I have two further questions:

1) Will Norton Internet Security continue to support the "Norton Vulnerability Protection" extension in Firefox ESR? It has continued to work in my Firefox even after Norton Toolbar got disabled. I would greatly appreciate ample ADVANCE warning if there are any plans to stop supporting Norton Vulnerabillity Protection on ESR.

2) Are there any other Norton products which DO support Norton Toolbar on Firefox ESR? (consumer or otherwise)

Thanks.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

  This is infuriating... I loaded my three home systems with the Firefox 10 ESR simply to get off the madness/treadmill that is the 'Regular' Firefox update cycle.

  The 10.xxx version is current,  doesn't change much, and worked fine with Norton until now...

  If you think I'm going to upgrade my personal home systems to a corporate version of Norton, you will be disappointed.

  As it is, I'm now seriously thinking of switching to a different vendors product, since this was one of the main features that attracted me to NIS in the first place...

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Hi gbohn,

Mozilla specifically states that Firefox ESR is for large organizations, rather than individuals.  It was never intended as a vehicle to allow individual users to avoid upgrading.  There are risks and downsides involved with running ESR that may be acceptable in enterprise environments, but which Mozilla advises may not be appropriate for individuals.  There are many tradeoffs inherent in the ESR model and, unfortunately, the Norton Toolbar is one of the casualties of the fundamental conceptual difference between Firefox ESR and the release update channel version.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

> There are risks and downsides involved with running ESR...

...

> There are many tradeoffs inherent in the ESR mode...

  And what might those be?

  This version is up to date on security patches and is (by design) feature stable. I don't want or need the latest 'features'.  I only want a stable browser with security updates.

  10 ESR certainly isn't  outdated,  unsupported, insecure, or abandoned.

  From a Norton perspective, this version is the least likely to have any major changes (far less so than the 6-week 'Feature Du jour' version). 

> Mozilla specifically states that Firefox ESR is for large organizations...

  That may very well have been their impetus. But. I don't really care what their 'justification' or 'business model' for this was.(They clearly got push-back for going from the prior model to the relentless feature update model).

  The ESR version fits my needs,  is freely available, and has current security updates. Most irritating of all is that it WAS supported  and working with Norton Internet Security.

  That is, until Symantec decided to stop allowing it to work because it was 'too old'.

> Norton Toolbar is one of the casualties of the fundamental conceptual difference between Firefox ESR...

  The only conceptual difference is that 10 ESR is not changing, except for security updates. Ironically, the exact thing that should make supporting it relatively easy...

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Hi gbohn,

I posted links to articles where the advantages and disadvantages of the ESR version are explained, along with a full overview of how the ESR concept differentiates it from the release update channel version.  And you should care about Mozilla's justifcation and business model for ESR - you are using it afterall, and yet you seem to be expecting it to be supported as if it were no different than the release update channel product.  In fact, the only support you are assured of is critical security support from Mozilla.  Everything else is played as it lies.  Despite what you say about Firefox ESR 10 being a current product, it is essentially Firefox 10, which is otherwise not supported at all, being kept on minimal life support for the benefit of large organizations that are unable to adapt to a quick-release schedule.  It is not intended to be a fully up-to-date product with all of the features currently available in newer versions of the browser.  Meanwhile, Symantec still needs to redo the Norton Toolbar for every new Firefox release, and they have stated the reasons why it became impractical to maintain backwards compatibility with all of the growing number of old Firefox versions.  So yes, there are tradeoffs.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

Symantec is not the only company to have 'end of life' situations with support.

Because an outside organization (Mozilla) decides to create a workflow where their software is updated every couple of weeks, companies like Symantec that have to support someone else's software have to draw the line somewhere.

It is a fact of life in business, that you only have limited resources. With competition, you cannot just open the purse strings to supply the extra support, while keeping your prices in line with the competition.

You should be venting more in Mozilla forums to get them to stop their madness.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

The one answer I haven't seen yet is 'why should a home/comsumer product be expected to support a commercial product?' If a commercial Norton product wasn't doing the job of supporting then I can see a point to the discussion. Right now is sounds like the apples aren't supporting the oranges and people are fussing.

Guess I just don't understand

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


dickevans wrote:

The one answer I haven't seen yet is 'why should a home/comsumer product be expected to support a commercial product?' If a commercial Norton product wasn't doing the job of supporting then I can see a point to the discussion. Right now is sounds like the apples aren't supporting the oranges and people are fussing.

Guess I just don't understand


+1

If I am running server software at home, I cannot expect a home security solution to protect me.

If someone chooses to use commercial software at home, they have to deal with what comes with it.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

> If I am running server software at home, I cannot expect a home security solution to protect me.

  That's not quite the same. As I understand it, the only difference between Firefox 10 ESR and Firefox 10 was the update track. They were otherwise essentially the same, with the same functionality.

  The toolbar WAS functional and supported until recently...

  Or maybe NIS just couldn't tell the difference between the two... I guess we'll find out when the next ESR comes along.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5


gbohn wrote:

> If I am running server software at home, I cannot expect a home security solution to protect me.

  That's not quite the same. As I understand it, the only difference between Firefox 10 ESR and Firefox 10 was the update track. They were otherwise essentially the same, with the same functionality.

  The toolbar WAS functional and supported until recently...

  Or maybe NIS just couldn't tell the difference between the two... I guess we'll find out when the next ESR comes along.


Then I guess the same would apply to Ghost and SSR

One is a home product and the other a commercial version. Why should I have to pay commercial prices to get an up-to-date backup solution for my home computers?

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar not Compatible with Firefox ESR 10.0.5

> Why should I have to pay commercial prices to get an up-to-date backup solution for my home computers?

  I think the 'commercial software' aspect is a specious argument in this case.

  As I understand it,

   A) Firefox is free. So there's no additional (any) payment received for the 'Commercial' version.

   B)  Firefox 10 and 10 ESR are essentially the same thing. One does not have greater (or even different)  functionality

         between the two. (I'm not even sure that the difference isn't only in the configuration files for the update server, etc.

         ...).

         When they were released, the only difference was the upgrade path. Firefox 10 and 10 ESR received the

         exact same updates. Security issues were simultaneously released for both.

         NIS Toolbar didn't differentiate between the two since they are basically the same thing. Life was good.

   When 11 was released, the 'regular' channel was directed to upgrade to Firefox 11. The 10 ESR channel

was not. Updates for Firefox 10/10 ESR continued to be released for Security issues only.

    Same deal with 12 and 13. 'Regular' channel was directed to update, ESR channel stays on 10 just applying

occasional security patches.

Then, with the release of 13, Symantec decided that 10 was too old, and prevents the Toolbar from working on any 10 version.

 One could argue that this is their prerogative. But I don't think the 'commercial' aspect is applicable in the traditional sense.

 There aren't any prices involved here... And the product is virtually identical to the 'home' version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.