• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton toolbar not working for Firefox 23.0.1 Win 7

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit and i cannot use the norton identity safe toolbar in firefox, It works in Internet explorer but i never use that browser i dont know why the firefox version is disabled due to being outdated while the internet explorer one is up to date, I really rely on the NIS toolbar when browsing the web. Any help is greatly apreciated : )

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton toolbar not working for Firefox 23.0.1 Win 7

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit and i cannot use the norton identity safe toolbar in firefox, It works in Internet explorer but i never use that browser i dont know why the firefox version is disabled due to being outdated while the internet explorer one is up to date, I really rely on the NIS toolbar when browsing the web. Any help is greatly apreciated : )

Kudos0

Hi Cro68,

Please tell us which Norton product you are using and which version (from Main page select Support and then About).  I noticed you called it a NIS toolbar - but are you in fact on NIS? 

You must be on version 20.4.0.40 and totally up to date in order for the Norton Tolbar to work in FF 23.0.1.  Have you run LiveUpdate (rebooting when required) until such tmie as LiveUpdate responds "no updates found"?

In FF, please tell us which version of NTB and NVP are shown under Add-0ns (from the Menu Bar > Tools > Add-ons)

Once we figure out where you are at with updates and add-ons we can go from there. 

Kudos0

I am using NIS ver 20.4.0.40. NTB 2013.4.1.2

All was well with FF 23. problem started when I upgraded recently to 23.0.1

I appreciate your quick response.

Kudos0

Hi flgolfguy,

The NTB version you are showing is for FF 22.  Please see the following two links - first one for FF22 (which matches your NTB version) and second one for  FF23 - which is a different version than what you have.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-22-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/979947

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-23-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/1001655

Please run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until such time as LiveUpdate responds with the exact words "no updates found".    Once you see that please check your NTB add-on again and see if it is 2013.4.2.2 and is enabled.

Let us know how things go.

Kudos0

I followed you directions to the letter, yet NTB remains ver 2013.4.1.2. I sthere another way of downloading directly the newest version 2013.4.1.2?

Kudos0

I meant to say ver 2113.4.2.2..

Kudos0

OK, flgolfguy,  next thing I would suggest is to run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool .  Please Export your ID Safe Data prior to running the tool.  You shoulod not lose your iD Safe Data, but having it Exported is always a good precautionary measure.

Let is know if that finds anything and fixes your situation.

<edit>  Be sure to run LiveUpdate until it responds "no updates found" after running the tool.

Kudos0

Ok i am running norton antivirus version 20.4.0.40
I have ran the live update 5 times and rebooted there are no updates found anymore and my norton identity safe toolbar is still disabled and on version 2013.1.3.1

my NVP is on version 12.0.0.380-1

Kudos0

This may sound strange, but it worked once for me: right-click on the Firefox icon, choose to "Run as Administrator" and see if the toolbar is activated afterwards.

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. the problem is that  norton update does not download the latest tool bar 2013.4.2.2....

Kudos0

I think that you're now just shooting in the dark. I would rather wait for a better solution. Obviously the problem is on your end. There's a number of us that try as we may cannot download the latest version of NTB. Until you find a real fix,  I'll just go back to the IE browser.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Cro68,

As the origianal thread stater - you first!

The version of the NTB you say you have is for FF 16 per this announcement.  So there appears to be something messed up with your updates.

I  feel the following may be worth a try as thre seems to be some corrupted LiveUpdate files.

Please open Run by pressing windows key + R -> devmgmt.msc -> View Show

Hidden devices -> open Non-Plug and Play Drivers-> Maximize the Screen

If you have a identity safe data back it up ->

Go to Control panel uninstall NAV ->select the second option to

completely uninstall ->restart -> Run Norton Removal Tool -> Restart ->

Go to the maximized screens page -> if you find   NAVENG, NAVEX15, Norton Antivirus settings manager, starting from Symantec

Data Store to SymEvent (entries starting with Sym)  ->right click on them

click uninstall -> For the Restart prompts select no -> Go to Program files

if you find Norton Folder delete it -> Go to Run ->type temp ->Delete all

the files in there -> Run -> %temp% ->delete all ->Now Restart the PC -

>Install Norton Antivirus ->Run Live Update until you get no updates found

message ->restart PC 

Let us know how it went for you.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

flgolfguy wrote:

I think that you're now just shooting in the dark. I would rather wait for a better solution. Obviously the problem is on your end. There's a number of us that try as we may cannot download the latest version of NTB. Until you find a real fix,  I'll just go back to the IE browser.

OK, so you stated your thoughts and that's fine that you think we are shooting in the dark.- but there is a sequence that we use (based on our past experiences) to try to make it as painless as possible to get the situtation fixed. 

The normal sequence is after making sure all updates are applied, is to run the NRnRT, then remove the Norton program via Control Panel, reboot, run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot and then reinstall.  You havenot run the NRT on your system yet - but I feel we can skip itin this case and go onto one of the other methods we use.

After the NRT, if still no good theere are a few other methods we have the user try.  One of them is what I suggestd above to Cro68 and what I am going to suggest you attempt.  Please be aware the origiinal poster on this thread is using NAV and you are using NIS - so the download for  NIS will be different.

Please follow these instructions:

Please open Run by pressing windows key + R -> devmgmt.msc -> View Show

Hidden devices -> open Non-Plug and Play Drivers-> Maximize the Screen

If you have a identity safe data back it up ->

Go to Control panel uninstall NIS ->select the second option to 

completely uninstall ->restart -> Run Norton Removal Tool -> Restart -> 

Go to the maximized screen page -> if you find   NAVENG, NAVEX15, Norton Antivirus settings manager, starting from Symantec

Data Store to SymEvent (entries starting with Sym)  ->right click on them

click uninstall -> For the Restart prompts select no -> Go to Program files

if you find Norton Folder delete it -> Go to Run ->type temp ->Delete all

the files in there -> Run -> %temp% ->delete all ->Now Restart the PC -

>Install Norton Internet Security ->Run Live Update until you get no updates found

message ->restart PC 

Let us know how it went for you.

Kudos0

just one question before I begin the procedure you suggested. How do I back up ID safe data?

Kudos0

Kudos0

That fixed it, it took a while but it fixed it thank you so much for your help!

Kudos0

Cro68 wrote:

That fixed it, it took a while but it fixed it thank you so much for your help!

Glad you got it sorted and all is well - you are quite welcome!

Kudos1 Stats

i have the ame problem but this want help me, and i find this:

after i use live update and i have not see the toolbar in firefox i run the windows in safe mode then i enter to firefox

and i see a message: do you want to install norton toolbar addons i just select yes and i have install after i have install the toolbar i have run windows in normal mode, and that's it it works.

Kudos0

ismystore wrote:

i have the ame problem but this want help me, and i find this:

after i use live update and i have not see the toolbar in firefox i run the windows in safe mode then i enter to firefox

and i see a message: do you want to install norton toolbar addons i just select yes and i have install after i have install the toolbar i have run windows in normal mode, and that's it it works.

Thanks for posting this.

We'll have to remember to try this next time.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.