• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Update 5 Mar 2018

Received a notification to reboot after a Norton 360 (v 22.12.0.104) update.   Did so.   Windows started normally but no mouse keyboard or touchscreen.   The drivers for these (at least) all seemed to have been disabled.

Norton Support did not want to help saying it was a Windows issue although acknowledging that it was likely the update at fault.  I expected some guidance, that if I could get to a command screen on reboot, I could send a command to disable Norton and to allow Windows to start with the devices working.

I had to reload the OS and then recover all apps and data.  3 days of effort lost and no income.    NOT HAPPY

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Update 5 Mar 2018

Are you using USB keyboard and mouse? If so there was a Microsoft update that caused havoc on those.

See this thread in the MS technet forums.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

Hi Adkane54:

If you use Win 10 Version 1709 (the Fall Creators Update) see jgsouthard's thread Latest Norton update blocks USB Drivers on Dell XPS 15 with latest Windows 10 in the NIS/NAV/N360 board of this forum for additional information.

KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248; released 13-Feb-2018) had a major bug that disabled many USB devices and onboard devices like a keyboard, camera or mouse.  KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251; released 05-Mar-2018) was released to replace the buggy KB4074588.  Microsoft support articles for both these Win 10 Version 1709 updates can be found at:
   February 13, 2018—KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248)
   March 5, 2018—KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251)
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS v22.12.0.104 * MB v3.1.1

Kudos0

Thanks for that, Imacri.   That explains it.   Why Norton support couldn't have said that when I asked can only be wondered.   I think that I was on the Feb Win10 update when the Norton update occurred triggering the USB issue.   I have the latest windows update installed now so should be good.

IF I CAN GET NORTON TO ACTIVATE AT ALL!!!!

Kudos0

What message are you getting when you try to activate Norton?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi Adkane54:

Post back if you continue to have problems activating your Norton subscription and the support article Activation Protects You doesn't help.

The Norton Services Status webpage at https://status.norton.com/ is currently showing green (OK) for the Activation Services - at least in my region - but if you've already registered your product in your Norton Account it might help if you enable Remote Management (Settings | Administrative Settings | Remote Management) and/or try to sync with your account at Help | Account Information | Subscription Status.

If you haven't already done so, users with a Win 8.x or Win 10 operating system are usually advised in this forum to disable the Fast Startup power option described in peterweb's thread Windows 8/8.1 or 10 and Fast Start Feature.  This Fast Startup feature can interfere with product updates and loading of Norton services at boot-up and result in all sorts of odd glitches and unexpected behaviour on Win 8.x and Win 10 computers.
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS v22.12.0.104 * MB v3.1.1

Kudos0

All good now thanks.   Support was able to help - reinstalled and set up again

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.