• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Norton Vulnerability Protection and Firefox 22.0

UPDATE by Tony_Weiss 22-July-2013 1:42pm PDT: The update has been released to resolve the Norton Vulnerability Protection incompatibility. The update has been released as a definition update. Please see the announcement for more info.

How come Norton Vulnerability Protection isn't compatible with Firefox 22.0? Generally if the NTB is compatible Norton Vulnerability Protection is too.

Screenshot:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.16.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Vulnerability Protection and Firefox 22.0

How come Norton Vulnerability Protection isn't compatible with Firefox 22.0? Generally if the NTB is compatible Norton Vulnerability Protection is too.

Maybe it will be once Fx 22.0 is formally released, which should happen 'any time' now.  And, besides, in view of the large number of people running Nightlies, Betas and/or RCs, imho, NVP should be bumpted to run one version up all the time.  Of course, at the users risk...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Vulnerability-Protection-Firefox-22-0/m-p/977987#M240528

Kudos0

Well I am on Firefox 22.0 release channel aka final. So I guess I'll just wait.
I just found it strange that NVP wasn't compatible but NTB is.
Kudos0

Norton has just issued a compatibility patch for Firefox 22 final release, so both the NTB and NVP should be working fine, as long as you patch first, before you update to Firefox 22 final.....

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Also,

From the Mozilla website:

Please note that while the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 can be used to run Firefox 22, only 32-bit builds of Firefox 22 are supported at this time.

Which tells me it might not be ready for 64-bit Windows 8 at this time. When I run an update for Firefox I'm told that I'm using the current version (21).

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/22.0a2/system-requirements/

Regards,

Win 10 Home x64, NS 22.5.5.15, AMD A6-5400K APU and 6GB RAM
Kudos0

Same problem over here, Windows 8 Pro x64 NL

I mean wtf... why doesn't it get fixed, it's 2013 Norton!

Kudos0

Norton Vulnerability Protection isn't compatible with Firefox 22.0

Windows XP SP 3,Norton Internet Security 2013

Kudos0

Well, I just updated to FF 22, and the statement FF gave me was basically that the vulnerability protection would be disabled & then re-enabled. After installation, I was given the message that it is not compatible with 22 & will remain disabled.

I noticed that yesterday (June 24, 2013), Norton had a patch update which needed a restart to be applied. I assumed this was for the upcoming release, so I applied it. As of now, not only is Norton Tamper Protection not working, but all my web pages are showing up much bigger then they generally do, along with larger browser icons all around.

I would have waited to install the new version of FF had the message outright told me that Tamper Protection was not going to be supported.

I'm guessing the browser is suffering this weird "Gigantism" due to the fallout of Tamper Protection being disabled, but it's hard to say, too many variables. Firefox used to have a feature that you could roll back to the older version just with a few clicks, however, a search is telling me I will have to uninstall FF completely & re-install the olde version from scratch. Yipes!

I'll sit on my hand for a little bit & see what happens....

Kudos0

Add me to the list. Just updated Fx through the in-product updater and...

Windows 7 SP1 32bit - NSBU - 22.1.0.9
Kudos1 Stats

I just chatted with Norton Support and they said a patch was still being prepared and should take 5-7 business days.

Kudos0

The same problem here.

NIS 2013. Win 8 Pro 64 bit.

Kudos0

Same problem here also.

Win7x64 NIS 20.4.0.40

Kudos0

I got the update for NIS 2012 yesterday and installed FF 22 this morning. In the update announcement it did not mention a new version for Vulnerability Protection. I have toolbar 2012.5.15.2 that works and VP 11.3.0.9 - 5 that does not.

Jim

Kudos0

jaman57 wrote:

I just chatted with Norton Support and they said a patch was still being prepared and should take 5-7 business days.

Support is not always up to speed on these things. I certainly hope that we aren't left like this for 5 to 7 days.

Kudos0

same here winxpsp3,nis2012

Kudos0

Should we NOT use FF 22.0 with the NVP disabled?  I am using Chrome now.

Win 8.1 x 64_ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz_32GB Ram_NSBU v. 22.11.2.7_Free MBAM/MBAE_FFox v.57.0 (64-bit)_Chrome _Fast Startup is OFF.
Kudos0

They need to jump on this asap and make it compatible. Firefox 22.0 is out NOW.

Kudos0

Having the same problem here. I just tried to update to FX22 and got the message that NVP is NOT compatible.

I really hope that Norton will get on the ball with this issue because 5-7 days of waiting for a patch is a little unreasonable, imo.

Kudos0

I installed FF22, which warned that NVP would be incompatible for now.  I don't want to get into whether Norton or Mozilla should fix it.

I have a question for the Norton experts.  Assume the choice is either (a) to stay with FF21 and NVP or (b) to run FF22 without NVP for a presumably short interval prior to a resolution of the incompatibility.  Which option is less risky?

Kudos0

Yeah the official release of Firefox 22.0 was made several hours ago.

But my NVP is still incompatible.

I installed all Norton patches previous to today before I installed Firefox 22.0  So that's not the problem.

Also Firefox 22.0 works on both 32 and 64 bit Windows OS. It's called WoW64 ;)

Kudos0

Any higher ups know what's going on? Is the patch available to download? Do we wait for LiveUpdate to fix the problem?

Kudos0

same here .not compatible with firefox 22

Kudos0

Identical problem here as everyone else.. I got the update from NIS a couple days ago for FF 22, which required a reboot, and which I did.. so I thought that was it and I just needed to wait for the FF 22 update which happened today.. but now it says the NVP 11.3.09-5 addon is incompatible with FF 22.. I uninstalled and reinstalled FF and still no go.. I hope we get a fix soon.. thanks!
Kudos0

I did a check on why FF looks the way it does ( too large in some users cases) & apparently this has been an ongoing problem since the beta stage, so Norton Vulnerability Protection being disabled isn't the cause of the "large browser syndrome." Just coincidence that this happened when Norton was disabled.

Here's the link to the FF discussion about it with some solutions. I may consider doing a system restore back to the last FF until both Norton & FF fix the problems they are having. I really do not like what FF has done here, it looks horrible.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2678897&sid=2ad2b43f8a935a8f0320177cc728c902

Kudos0

Hello all,

I have Firefox set to check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them.  I was going to upgrade to firefox 22, but like everyone else, I received the following pop-up;

If you read it carefully you will see that it says Norton Vulnerability Protection would not be compatible with this update and will be disabled.

I chose not to upgrade and will wait for a patch to be released.

Cheers.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Can someone from Norton please provide some input so that we know that they are aware of this and are working on it.  Feel like this is a forgotten update.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Broadhead wrote    installed FF22, which warned that NVP would be incompatible for now.  I don't want to get into whether Norton or Mozilla should fix it.

I have a question for the Norton experts.  Assume the choice is either (a) to stay with FF21 and NVP or (b) to run FF22 without NVP for a presumably short interval prior to a resolution of the incompatibility.  Which option is less risky?

Imho, you'd be safer staying with Firefox 21, and keeping NVP enabled, until such time as the patch comes out.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

@Krusty13

I did a clean install of Firefox 22.0 and didn't get a warning about incompatiblity :-/

Kudos0

I have the same problem.

I'm on Windows 7  Home Premium 64-bit, NIS 2013.

Would be great help if Norton could get this fixed asap.

Kudos0

Hi ,

now i upgrade to firefox 22 and have same problem .

Security Market Expert : AntiVirus Support , Analysis AntiVirus Market .Analysis sell and support ; AV companies policies .Write more than 4000 Post on disna.ir about AntiVirus ; Security Products ; AntiVirus Companies Policies . www.disna.ir
Kudos0

Anyone wishing to revert to Firefox 21 unti this problem is sorted out, can do so at   www.filehippo.com

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

@SGFE,

I did a clean install of FF22 (removed FF 21 thru Control Panel, and did a regedit to remove any Mozilla references), and am getting the NVP incompatibility warning.

Back to FF21.

Win 10 Home x64, NS 22.5.5.15, AMD A6-5400K APU and 6GB RAM
Kudos0

I have te same problem. Norton when do you fix this?

Kudos0

Um, wow, not even an acknowledgement of this issue? Guess I'll revert back to Fx 21 since there's no word on a fix coming.

Kudos0

Doesn't give much confidence that they could respond to a quick moving virus event, does it.

The firefox 22 release was NOT a surprise.

Kudos0

I cannot find the NVP patch for FF22. Can anyone provide a link to download?

Kudos0

LiveUpdate ran this morning of June 26 2013 but Norton Vulnerability Protection is still incompatible with Firefox 22.0.

I googled Norton Vulnerability Protection and didn't get a good answer on what are the risks if it is not working. Norton Vulnerability Protection is incompatible with Firefox 22. When I clicked the NIS icon in task bar, I can see my computer is secured (green box with 'Secure') with all items, Auto-Protect, Intrusion Prevention, Browser Protection all green.

What are my risks if I were to continue to use Firefox 22 without Norton Vulnerability Protection? Can I still visit websites without any fear of intrusion or protection?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, NIS 2013

Kudos0

I completely removed Firefox 21.0 using this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_firefox

Then I downloaded Firefox 22.0 from here:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Installed Firefox 22.0 and didn't get any warnings about Norton Vulnerability Protection being incompatible. I guess Firefox doesn't warn you on a clean installation. Maybe you're just warned when you update to a new version of Firefox. That or something messed up.

Anyway, Why is Symantec ignoring this post?

By the way Firefox 21.0 can be downloaded from Mozilla. Just go here http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ and right click the download button. Click Copy Link Location or Copy Shortcut and paste it into your web browser address bar. Then change 22.0 to 21.0 and hit enter.

Example:

product=firefox-21.0&os=win&lang=en-US

Kudos0

I had a Windows System Restore Point from just before updating to FF22. I ran that, and it brought back FF21. I then changed the Advanced Option in FF to not update automatically. The only glitch was that my add-ons/plug-ins weren't showing. Started FF in FF Safe Mode, closed and reopened - and everything was back to normal, including Norton Vulnerability Protection. So if you have a recent Restore Point that is a good way to go until the patch comes out.

Using Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit.

Kudos3 Stats

Suggestion...

Perhaps if Mohanakrishnan's NTB announcement presently pinned at the top of the main NIS/NAV board...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Firefox-22-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/979951

...were to be amended to explain that the FF NTB update does not include the (also necessary, but yet to be released) FF NVP plugin update, there might be less confusion....

As that announcement currently stands it seems a bit misleading...

Purely my opinion...

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

Broadhead wrote:

Hi Broadhead:

I can't give you a definitive answer as to which option is less risky, but Mozilla has posted a list of the security risks patched in Firefox v. 22.0 at https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html.

I haven't tried upgrading to FF22 yet, but Norton Vulnerability Protection seems to be working correctly in my IE9 browser so I'm planning to temporarily switch to IE9 until Symantec releases a patch for the NVP extension for Firefox.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 21.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Kudos0

Another day and Norton/Symantec has not provided even a short response and answered some issues raised in this post, plus help put people to ease.  Well, my subscription to NIS runs out in 39 days and I am reconsidering whether to renew.

Kudos0

Mine will be up as well in another 3 months or so. Not renewing either between this and the Malwarebytes that took them months to fix it. I have had enough with their poor and slow responses to fix critical issues. No excuses either especially with them being the biggest anti-virus company and most used in the business.

Kudos0

I just got notice to update FF to 22 and that NVP was not compatible with it. So, I came here to see what to do. Stay with FF21 til NVP is compatible or update to FF22 and not have NVP........I see no one has a definitive answer yet.  :(  Maybe I'll switch browsers til it's compatible.......

Kudos0

I have definitely found updating Norton tool bar before FF is a must. I have set my FF update to notify me before updating, when I get a notice I check this forum and my extensions to be sure they are the latest before updating Firefox. I have never seen Norton only update half of the tool bar extensions. Something is going on ....

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.-Albert Einstein-
Kudos0

AndysGirl wrote:

I just got notice to update FF to 22 and that NVP was not compatible with it. So, I came here to see what to do. Stay with FF21 til NVP is compatible or update to FF22 and not have NVP........I see no one has a definitive answer yet.  :(  Maybe I'll switch browsers til it's compatible.......

If it's not too late, wait to update Firefox until you see  something in this thread about a fix.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

dmay4701 wrote:
Well, my subscription to NIS runs out in 39 days and I am reconsidering whether to renew.

FattiesGoneWild wrote:

Mine will be up as well in another 3 months or so. Not renewing either ......

That ship sailed for me with the elimination of local ID Safe Vault - I'm sure that soon one of these version updates is going to stop us from being able to keep a local vault by upgrading from 2012.

Kudos0

lmacri wrote:

Broadhead wrote:

Hi Broadhead:

I can't give you a definitive answer as to which option is less risky, but Mozilla has posted a list of the security risks patched in Firefox v. 22.0 at https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html.

I haven't tried upgrading to FF22 yet, but Norton Vulnerability Protection seems to be working correctly in my IE9 browser so I'm planning to temporarily switch to IE9 until Symantec releases a patch for the NVP extension for Firefox.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 21.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

I've decided to upgrade Firefox to 22.  I figure there are less security holes in FF22, so less for Norton to watch for.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone, 

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

We are aware of the Norton Vulnerability Protection - Firefox 22 compatiblity issue.

Our team is working on this and we'll get back to you when we have more updates.

Thank you for your patience.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Same here, NVP not compatible with FF22, Windows 8 Pro x64

Regarding the question as to what is less risky, keep FF21 with NVP enabled or FF22 with NVP disabled, the answer is easy: USE CHROME or IE until this issue is resolved.

Kudos0

Day three since Firefox 22 went live, same problem. norton has known since FireFox 22 was Beta, they have had time to work on this.

Just one more reason for me to switch to AVG or even Microsoft. I guess norton must have too many customers and they are trying to thin them out.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.