• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NPE error code 0x80004005,n5,nC0

Hello. Seem to be having a problem that looks to be quite common. I'm trying to run Norton Power Eraser version 5.2.0.19 for Windows 10. I press "Scan for Risks", it scans for maybe a minute if that, and then shows me the error code "Unspecified Error 0x80004005,n5,nC0" which I have attached. I have read and tried what seems like every single forum thread for this problem but haven't been able to solve it myself. I have had a lot of suspicious activity and malware on my laptop and the other Norton scans aren't detecting it. I would really appreciate some help for NPE, as it is what I need the most!

Thanks in advance. 

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NPE error code 0x80004005,n5,nC0

Hello tbow. Right off I would download and run Malwarebytes to rid your system of the bothersome issues you have been seeing. Its free and runs great with Norton products installed: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

The first two things that come to mind with Windows 10 are; 1- Are you logging into the computer with an Administrator account and 2- Do you have "fast boot" enabled.

-If your account is not an admin account go into your control panel and under user accounts find your account. Click on change account type and select administrator. Reboot to have the change take affect.

- To disable fast boot please follow these instructions: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.125 / NSBU 22.11.2.7 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Thank you for the input, though Malwarebytes was unable to find anything I am still very suspicious of the recent activity and wanting to do this RootKit scan. I ensured I am the administrator and that FastBoot is disabled, but still coming up with the same error code. What can I do next?

Kudos0

Hello again tbow. Follow the instructions in this article to remove and reinstall your product: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.125 / NSBU 22.11.2.7 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Sad to update that after having used the tool and reinstalled, still received the same error message. :( Thank you for your advice, though!

Kudos0

tbow  What is your product version as of now? Did you remove ALL the files and settings then reboot, after which ran liveupdate until no other updates are available then rebooted a second time? The initial error code is related to Windows updates so lets start there. Open an elevated command prompt from the start button right mouse click the look for "Command Prompt(Admin). Click and open, type in cmd and press enter. When the DOS window opens at the flashing prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter. Allow the system to check for corrupted system files. Reboot when done and recheck for your issue. In the event the issue reoccurs use the link suggestions below. Please let us know how things worked out.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/error-0x80004005-window-10-update-failure/156adfb8-e7e1-46fa-b5c6-cbd5dcfebbb9?auth=1

Cheers

Kudos0

Hi tbow,

We are working on an update to NPE that may address this issue. However, while we wait for that update, I would like you to try something. Rename your computer. Yup, seems odd.

Use the control panel> system and rename the computer using 'change settings'.

Reboot and try NPE again. Let me know if this 'resolved' the issue.

If you can, share the name before and after.

Thank You,

Jeff