• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NSBU 22.6.0.142 Targeting Windows Build 14342 valid system files as Trojans/Malicious Files

When running a full system scan, NSBU 22.6.0.142 targets several valid and digitally signed Microsoft Windows Files in:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ 

and

C:\Windows\WinSxS\

as Trojans or other types of Malicious files.  

On my system it targeted fontview.exe in SysWOW64

and numerous files in WinSxS.  Running sfcscan /now is unable to repair these files.  I have removed them from quarantine and excluded them and submitted them to Symantec.  Log of some of the files attached.

Be cautious when running a full system scan with Build 14342

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NSBU 22.6.0.142 Targeting Windows Build 14342 valid system files as Trojans/Malicious Files

Thanks for reporting the files as false positives.

This is an example of the risks of running 'test' versions of software or an OS. This is why users are warned not to use test software on a production or everyday computer. Be sure you have a good disk image to repair any damage caused during testing.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: NSBU 22.6.0.142 Targeting Windows Build 14342 valid system files as Trojans/Malicious Files

peterweb:

Thanks for reporting the files as false positives.

This is an example of the risks of running 'test' versions of software or an OS. This is why users are warned not to use test software on a production or everyday computer. Be sure you have a good disk image to repair any damage caused during testing.

Right.  This is a test laptop, an old HP with all my everyday software installed.  I've got a basic production disk image to revert to (and have many times) when things go awry. My main machine is on the Windows Production track until GA, but I like to use the old HP to work with the new OS and sort out bugs with various software programs I use so I can keep them up to date on issues as they arise.  This was definitely one of them.  

A similar issue occurred with a prior build of windows but it was fairly quickly sorted out by Symantec. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.