• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NSBU.EXE running CPU at 100%

I have two computers both of which run Windows 10 at the latest fix level and Norton Security also at the latest level.

On the Lenovo Y460 Norton Security seems to work just fine and rarely uses much CPU.

On the Lenovo X1 Norton Security seems to work well for all tasks but when level unused will often start consuming 100% of CPU, the CPU usage by NSBU.EXE 30% plus.  The computer is then very unresponsive but after a mouse click and a wait of 10 seconds or so the CPU drops to normal usage levels of around 5-10% as norton stops its background work.  Now I know Norton Security is running optimization tasks when  it is idle but why 30%+  CPU.  I have tried reinstalling using the NRNR.Exe which results in no change in behaviour.  I have tired turning on and off "Idle time optimizer" and "Performance Monitoring" and this seems to have no effect.  This is really annoying.

Any suggestion welcome.

Labels: Performance

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NSBU.EXE running CPU at 100%

GJBrain Is fast boot enabled on these systems? Here is how to disable it: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

There are also reports of Malwarebytes causing 100% CPU usage. If you also have that installed update to the latest version and reboot.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

Hello

If you have NSBU .exe in Task Manager, then you have 22.11 running and not the 22.12.0.103 version which was pulled. The NSBU exe is no longer in Task Manager.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I am running what liveupdate says is the latest version =- 22.11.2.7

I do not have Malwarebytes installed but did some time ago.

I have turned off  fast boot and so far no difference.

Attached are performance graphs from Norton Security performance area.

Kudos0

GJBrain Here is how to post images to the forums: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

On the Lenovo X1 run live updates at least twice and reboot each time. Recheck the CPU issue. You can also open your dashboard from the system icon, click on "Help" at the top right, then look in the next window that appears to the far left and click "Get Support". A tool will run to check your install for issues.

If that doesn't find any issues give a removal of your product another shot. REMOVE ONLY, do not reinstall your product. Reboot and recheck for CPU spiking. If you have other A/V software installed remove those as well. Use this link for the tool : https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

If Task Manager is only showing 30%, that is not a lot for one program to use when it is the main program running at the time. And if it runs at 100% only when the system is idle, that too is not really a problem, as you do not need the system resources at that time.

You say everything calms down again when you move/click the mouse, and that too is normal for Norton. The 10 second delay is probably also normal as the tasks Norton is working on have to be smoothly and safely paused.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

In SoulAsylum last append I have done all the actions as suggested in the second paragraph.  The results of the diagnostic tool were:

Norton Security
Windows 10 Pro
16299.15.amd64fre.rs3_release.170928-1534
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

I will see if the spiking occurs today as the problems usually only occur in the afternoon, 6 hours away my time.

In peterweb append above I understand all the comments you have made and whilst I agree in principle it is quite annoying to wait for the computer to become responsive again.  Also it does run hot which whilst OK every now and then I do not like having happen every day.  And as a matter of interest I do wounder why the same problems do not occur on my Lenovo Y460 which is set up very similarly to my Lenovo X1.  Any way good comments.

It is interesting that the problem seem to mainly occur in the afternoon my time.  Stay tuned to see where this goes.

Kudos0

Hello

Computer Heat may be causing the issue if it occurs in the afternoons after the computer has been on for several hours. Is it possible that one computer is perhaps cleaner in the insides than the other computer? Is it possible that perhaps some dust in the fans or filters is causing a heat problem which can cause the computer to try and slow down. When paused, it gets a chance to cool down a little also.

Just a possibility and please don't take it the wrong way.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi GJBrain:

I have Norton Security v22.11..2.7 running on a Vista SP2 computer so I'm not sure if the Performance Graphs are displayed differently on a Win 10 computer, but the images you posted <here> show that most of the CPU consumption is from a non-Norton process (i.e., blue peaks of activity).  When you view your CPU consumption from Performance | Performance Graphs | Usage and click your mouse inside one of these blue peaks, does the pop-up show the name of the process (e.g., a Windows process like svchost.exe or a browser like chrome.exe or firefox.exe) as well as the % CPU it is consuming?

Also note that the image in your original post from your Performance Alert (the PDF named "Shows Norton Security running at 100%") states "100% of at least one CPU", so assuming your Lenovo X1 has a quad core CPU I believe that means that nsbu.exe only maxed out 1 of 4 cores.

Here's a sample image from my own Performance Graph where the pop-up shows most of my CPU being consumed by my Firefox browser (shown as a mostly blue peak) around the 40-minute mark:

--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v 3.3.1

Kudos0

Imarci - Interesting and thanks for the information and observations.  Where are you getting the graphs from you have provided as I cannot find them in Norton Security on Windows 10 - not that same as yours at least?

Kudos0

Hi GJBrain:

From the main Norton interface choose Performance and select Graphs:

...and then click the Usage link (just below Events):

There are two tabs - one to monitor CPU activity and one to monitor Memory (RAM) consumption. By default the graph will show the past 90 min of activity on your computer but you can use the Zoom feature to zoom out as far back as an entire month and click inside the graph with your mouse to see what processes were running on your computer.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v 3.3.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

After some days of research and work I seem to have solved the problem but I am not sure exactly what I did to fix it.

- I updated all drivers that were said to be in need of attention (None of them were significant)

- I updated the firmware and driver of the Lenovo Thunderbird Dock V3 and this seems to have caused the problem to go away (Unfortunately the USB ports on this dock no longer work but that is a different issue, the ethernet and HDMI port do work)

Here is the before cpu trace

Here is the after cpu trace

​So for now the issues can be closed.

Kudos0

The issue can be closed

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Fixed the lenovo thunderbolt dock V3 issue by executing the Thunderbolt.exe that exists in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Thunderbolt Software and is provided by Intel.  This information was in a Lenovo forum but not mentioned anywhere in the installation / usage instructions.....  Just for everyone's interest.

The high CPU issue did not return after this fix.  So not sure what was causing the issue but for now it is resolved.

Kudos0

GJBrain:

Fixed the lenovo thunderbolt dock V3 issue by executing the Thunderbolt.exe that exists in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Thunderbolt Software and is provided by Intel....The high CPU issue did not return after this fix.  So not sure what was causing the issue but for now it is resolved.

Hi GJBrain:

Glad to hear your CPU consumption has dropped.  I noticed in your "before" CPU trace <here> that java.exe was running when your CPU consumption was hitting 100%, and your "after" CPU trace shows that there's still a relatively constant ~15% CPU consumption by some non-Norton process on your computer, so be sure to monitor your CPU activity for a few days and let us know if the problem returns.

I'm not sure if you have the full Java Standard Edition (SE) platform on your computer or just the Java Runtime Environment (RE) plugin installed in your browser, but unless you're absolutely certain that you need Java on your computer I'd suggest uninstalling it (or at least make sure that you always have the latest available update).  There is only one website I used to visit that required me to install the Java RE plugin for my browsers (the https://www.geforce.com/drivers website needed to run a Java applet that would auto-detect my system hardware and recommend the latest available driver for my NVIDIA GeForce graphics card and OS) and I would always leave my Java RE plugin disabled unless I was visiting that site.  I uninstalled Java RE a few years ago after NVIDIA stopped releasing new drivers for my graphics card and haven't needed it since.  Java-based malware can be particularly nasty and difficult for antivirus program to detect (see the 2017 Microsoft article Combating a Spate of Java Malware with Machine Learning in Real-time) but this type of malware can only execute if the user has Java installed, so it's best to uninstall Java if it isn't absolutely required.  It's even possible that your Norton real-time heuristic (behaviour-based) detection is "waking up" to monitor some process on your computer that is running a Java applet because it shares similar behaviors with a known Java-based trojan.

You might also want to read RichD's old thread High Memory Usage by Java (TM) Platform SE Binary.  This user noticed Norton had logged several performance alerts for java.exe at Security | History | Show | Performance Alerts and discovered he had an application that was loading at boot-up and running Java (probably an automatic updater running in the background looking for a software update).  Once he uninstalled this obsolete software his performance alerts stopped.

And just an FYI that threads in this forum remain unlocked and open to further comments, even after the original poster has marked the thread as solved.  Older threads are sometimes locked after a certain period of activity (or will be locked by a forum admin if they go too far off topic) but I don't think Norton has a set policy for locking threads in this forum.
--------------
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos1 Stats

but I don't think Norton has a set policy for locking threads in this forum.

The thread lock was recently set at 30 days of inactivity.

Kudos0

I have seen them locked even before 30 days.

Kudos0

Some admin posts/announcements may be locked earlier than 30 days because they do not need any replies. Or if a thread gets outside the forum rules, it can get locked manually by an admin. The 30 day should be what you see if a thread is just left idle.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.