• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NSW Basic 12.0 CheckIT

When I installed the CheckIt program, from the NSW CD, it creates nine ActiveX problems and six invalid icon problems.  Is this normal?  Here are three snapshots, first - WinDoctor before installing CheckIt (no problems), second - WinDoctor after installing CheckIt with nine ActiveX problems, third - WinDoctor after installing CheckIt with six invalid icons problems. 

Would the CheckIt program create these problems?  Should I be asking Norton about this question or the Smith Micro Software group, that created the software?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NSW Basic 12.0 CheckIT

Did you PM Reese as he suggested?
Hugh
Kudos0

Yes I did, thanks huwyngr..  I first send the snapshots too small, I thought they could be expanded..    Oh well, I'm learning..Message Edited by PC_confused on 05-11-2009 11:01 PM
Kudos0

PC_confused wrote:
  Yes I did, thanks huwyngr..  I first send the snapshots too small, I thought they could be expanded..    Oh well, I'm learning..Message Edited by PC_confused on 05-11-2009 11:01 PM

Good I'm sure he will follow up since as he said it happens to be part of his knowledge base <s>

Yes I find the image in your first message here low in resolution (?) so that if I do use the zoom function on my browser when it goes up in size it is blurred and not readable.

Maybe it would be worthwhile reposting a higher resolution image?

Hugh
Kudos0

Can you see this enlarged version any better?  A lot of post suggest not using the full sized picture, takes up too much space.  It shows after installing CheckIt, WinDoctor found 9 ActiveX problems (on another snapshot not shown) and 6 Invalid icon problems.  If I use the uninstall program, all of the problems also go away.  That is why I think the problem is with the CheckIt program.  It looks like the program is trying to put the icons in a win95 directory, I am running Windows XP?  That may be causing the problems, I don't know.. 

[edit: Resized image.]

Message Edited by shannons on 05-12-2009 10:22 AM
Kudos1 Stats

Viewing the larger images, it looks like WinDoctor is finding legitimate, yet for the most part harmless, issues.

Both the ActiveX/Com screen and the Invalid Shortcuts screen are indicating that some icons are missing. This just means that you won't always get appropriate pictures when you see the PIF files in explorer. In reality, they probably aren't missing but the installation of CheckIt pointed them to the wrong area (expected a Win95 folder to exist.)

Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Thank you for saying you didn't think there was any problem, that is all I was trying to make sure of.  That NSW Basic version 12.0 must be an old program, if it is still looking for Win95 file folder.  Thanks again for the solution.

Kudos1 Stats

Yes that is clearer and enlarging makes it readable for me.

I'd echo what Reese is saying although I don't know any of the specifics as he does. It's been my experience with utilities that check and want to repair the Registry that unless you know more about what they want to do and how the registry works then you are better off not using them unless you have a "visible" problem.

My desktop is unusually complicated because, besides my XP installation that I use all the time for now and an installation of VISTA that I'm using to learn about, I have several other Test Bed installations of different Windows versions including Windows 7 RC now.

I was running a trial  download of NSW Basic 12 on one of the VISTA test beds and it told me it found some errors in the registry (of the test bed VISTA) and corrected them so I had a look at the History to see what it had done. One of the "mistakes" it found and fixed was that one line pointed to a location that did not exist so it looked around and found the file that was being pointed at and rewrote the registry line to point to that file.

The only problem was that the file was on another drive within my regular copy of VISTA and not on the same drive as the installation it was fixing.

It could not know that I had mulitple installations. I could see that it was incorrect because I knew that so I used UNDO to put it back as it was and although it appeared to be a mistake in the registry there was no sign of a problem.

See what I mean? <s>

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.