• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NSwB Blocking Windows 10 Upgrade Process? Error C1900208

I have three different systems that I reserved the Win-10 upgrade on - 1 Win-8.1/Pro/64-Bit, 1 Win-8.1/Pro/32-Bit, and 1 Win7/Pro/64-Bit.

All three have NSwB (current version) installed (that's supposed to be Win-10 compatible).

All three received their install images this morning.

All three failed to initiate the Win-10 install process...

The Error Detail for the failed update (on all three systems) is as follows...

When I web-searched on the C1900208 Error code I found many references - Most all of them detailing the cause as being due to the installed Security software...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/upgrading-from-81-pro-to-windows-10-build-9926-is/f4b1922f-d95a-4734-a019-58e5acbf69bd?auth=1

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
John

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NSwB Blocking Windows 10 Upgrade Process? Error C1900208

Same problem here John. Mine has also failed the update to Win 10.

I keep hearing about a notification that is sent out when the time comes to update. I haven't received that notification yet, I found the problem by running a Windows Update and checking the update history.

@bjm_ I'm currently running NS 22.5.2.15.

Win 10 Home x64, NS 22.5.5.15, AMD A6-5400K APU and 6GB RAM
Kudos0

bjm_:

Have you seen > https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-compatibility-and-windows-10
and > https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113033802_EndUserProfile_en_us

Hi bjm_,

Yes, I've seen both posts - The first post basically says that there's nothing to do if you're already on v22.5.2.15, which all three systems are. The second post deals with what to do after 10 is installed. Since all three systems are still on their current OS versions and (so far) unable to upgrade to 10, I don't think the second post applies yet...

Question: Am I required to uninstall NSwB before the Win-10 upgrade can proceed?  Note: Remember these are the official MS background delivered platform upgrades, not the Preview Program ISO image.

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

What happened to reports W10 install process would scan your machine un-install your security product > install W10 > then reach out for latest compatible security by your product

Kudos0

Ballistic:

Same problem here John. Mine has also failed the update to Win 10.

I keep hearing about a notification that is sent out when the time comes to update. I haven't received that notification yet, I found the problem by running a Windows Update and checking the update history.

@bjm_ I'm currently running NS 22.5.2.15.

Hi Ballistic,

Thanks for the confirmation!

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind me asking...

Did you participate in the 10 Preview?

Were you trying to upgrade a late-build 10 Preview or a predecessor OS (e.g. 8, 8.1, 7)?

One of my failed systems (the Win-8.1/Pro-32Bit) had the final 10 preview build, but I opted to restore its predecessor OS image a couple of days ago (and wish now I hadn't).

Thanks again for the info,
John

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_:

What happened to reports W10 install process would scan your machine un-install your security product > install W10 > then reach out for latest compatible security by your product

Excellent question...  

Wax off - Wax on?  But so far, No Soap... 

Kudos0

Hi folks, I've sent you both Private Messages with information on turning on, then gathering and sending logs to us. If you're able to get logs for us, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

John,

I didn't participate in any Win 10 preview testing.

I'm trying to upgrade a Win 8.1 system.

Did you get a notification that your system was ready to upgrade? My system has been found to be completely compatible. I wonder if we have to wait for that notification for the upgrade process to begin.

And I also have all the update files on my hard drive and ready to install.

Kudos0

Thanks for the fast turnaround, @avjohnnie!

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

avjohnnie:
bjm_:

Excellent question...  

Wax off - Wax on?  But so far, No Soap... 

Hey, I got of million of em'....................... he he he ... run away 

Kudos0

Well, I've rebooted one of the affected systems a few times now and rechecked the Windows Update history afterward...  Shortly after the last reboot, I saw that the system had tried once again to invoke the Win-10 installer - but this time, when it failed, it had a new error code...

So I web-searched "Win-10 Error Code 80240020".  Seems that it's an indication of a damaged installation image / installation folder ...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-failed-to-install-error-code-80240020/9d69a99b-1851-4464-b10b-e69946993e78?auth=1

Question now is... Why?

Kudos0

Hi John,

There is a possible solution offered in the article you cited and that is to redownload it.

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Good Luck! ;)

What is the size of your download folder? Mine is 3.89 GB

Also, I'm waiting for feedback from Symantec on the logs we sent them.

Kudos0

Thanks Ballistic...

FWIW - I've now confirmed that all three are now getting the same new error code after doing a few reboots.

I tried the "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" without doing the purge - didn't work. I'll do the purge and try it again.

Here's the stats on the installation directory on the machine that I'm currently on... (BTW, they're different sizes on each system)...

I'll post back regarding how it goes...

Kudos0

Interesting John,

The size of that download folder is similar to mine but my folder has 16,365 files in 3,577 folders.

Is that folder located on the root directory of the C:\ drive?

Accepted Solution
Kudos3 Stats

Hello John and Ballistic

Please see if this article helps with your install difficulties. Read especially # 2. Thanks

http://time.com/3970922/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade/

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks floplot for the article.

Have you gotten your notification yet?

Regards,

Kudos0

Ballistic:

Interesting John,

The size of that download folder is similar to mine but my folder has 16,365 files in 3,577 folders.

Is that folder located on the root directory of the C:\ drive?

Hi Ballistic,

Yes, it's on C:\

Also - the suggested recovery fix did work to repair the (presumed) corrupted installer directory on any of the three systems.

I'm going to restore the recent backup images I have of them, remove the NSwB installations from them, and then try the upgrade process again.

I'll post back (probably tomorrow) with how it all went.

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello John and Ballistic

Please see if this article helps with your install difficulties. Read especially # 2. Thanks

http://time.com/3970922/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade/

Hi Flo,

Thanks for the reference link.

It never got that far along in the process on any of the three system - apparently there's a conflict and since the first error code report pointed toward Security software interactions, that's where I'll start the elimination process.

If it fails again (sans Norton), I'll do a final image restore, opt out of the upgrade (for now), and cool my jets until more of the smoke clears...

Thanks again,
John

P.S.  BTW, I've yet to see a (non-ISO) Win-10 upgrade success story posted around these parts...

Kudos0

Hello John

After receiving the download, did you get a 2nd popup saying you can start the process of installing? See the first sentence of # 2.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello Ballistic

I'm not interested in attempting to install Windows 10 yet. I have my first popup that we received a long time ago and it's still sitting in my task bar untouched by me. I rather wait and see everyone's reports first and wait for some of the bugs to be fixed first. I do that with Windows Updates. I never install them the first day they come out. Thanks.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello John

After receiving the download, did you get a 2nd popup saying you can start the process of installing? See the first sentence of # 2.

Hi Flo,

Nope - It simply never got that far (nothing viable enough to put that popup up on the screen)...

The entire downloaded installation structure was corrupted on all three systems.

Question is, what caused the corruption...

Cheers!
John

(P.S. Thanks for trying to help - Really do appreciate it!)

Kudos1 Stats

FYI - I found a very helpful little article at PCWorld… 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2952649/windows/how-to-download-windows-10-iso-files.html

The link it gives for the Mickeysoft “Win-10 Media Creation Tool”…

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

…(I think) will turn out to be just the right shade of lipstick for this little piggy…  

I'll burn the ISOs in the AM and give this another go...

Think I'll leave NSwB installed to see how well the mix blends... 

Cheers!

Kudos0

I just checked my winupdate history I was getting the same failed download

Kudos0

Hello all,

This is easy. I used the link provided by floplot (thanks for that floplot) and downloaded the Media Creation Tool.

I ran it, in my case choosing the 64-bit option, and chose the option to upgrade this computer.

All my apps, including Norton Security, transferred very well. I performed a manual LiveUpdate as soon as I got back online and that went well. The Windows installation was automatically activated.

avjohnnie, how are you doing?

Thanks to all for your help.

Kudos0

I don't think anyone linked directly to this but this Windows Secrets today has valuable experiences of several installations by their people, the errors encountered and how to deal with them, one of which -- deleting the download and redoing it -- has been mentioned

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/updating-to-win10-definitely-a-mixed-experience/

Hugh
Kudos0

I heard that deleting the download files didnt work (I dont think it is safe to delete) then some said dont delete. It maybe to many people are bum rushing to get this and servers are flooded IDK maybe

Kudos0

If you read the linked article you will see that more than just deleting is involved .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello John

My son installed Win 10 remotely using Team Viewer while he was at work this afternoon. He also at first was getting the errors like you got and it mentioned something about security problem. He has NS 15.5.2.15. What he did then was just to disable Auto-Protect while installing win 10. After the install, he re-enabled Auto-Protect in NS. He said all files were there and every thing was working. He did have to update one video driver and had to tweak his monitor I believe.  All of this while he was at work doing his preparations for the monthly closing that will have to be done next week, everything done remotely. It activated automatically.

If he could do it remotely, then Norton Tech Support should be able to do it remotely also.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello Ballistic

I'm glad that my link was useful to you and helped you get win 10 installed and that everything is working ok. Thanks.

Kudos0

Okay - I used the media creation tool to download and burn the Win10/Pro ISOs for both 32 and 64bit to DVDs. Auto-Ran the DVDs (from within the booted systems - to satisfy the license transfers) and voila, not a single problem doing the upgrades (with NSwB left running "in full protection mode" on each system as it upgraded)...

Seems the Microsoft background updater had some kinks that they failed to detect / get ironed out, before it was show time!

Didn't even need to reinstall a single program or application on any of the upgraded systems... 

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

Hello John

Glad to see that you got your Win 10 x3 installed successfully. I have put that article into my macros to help out other users as well. Thanks for marking the thread as solved.

Kudos1 Stats

It appears that Windows 10 upgrade failing with error codes C1900208  & 80240020 may be caused by a corrupted download of the Windows update files, not necessarily a Norton issue. As some have stated, downloading the update again seems to resolve the issue, and that's what we've seen in our testing. Nothing appears to point to it being a Norton issue, but we're still continuing to research it. Thanks.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hello

It seems like Sunil's response agrees with John's  opinion. Thanks.

Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

It appears to be that Windows 10 upgrade failed with error codes C1900208  & 80240020 are caused due to a corrupted download of the Windows update files, not a Norton issue. 

This (80240020  anyway) is dealt with  in the Windows Secrets article:

Updating to Win10: Definitely a mixed experience  with its link to Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/ 

although not having encountered it I can't vouch for it working here it makes sense and includes resetting the Windows Update which I have done when one of the Insider Preview builds failed to install.

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

So far 100% of those I've talked to (since my own aforementioned unfortunate experience occurred,) regarding their own Win-10 upgrading experiences, has proven out to show similar results...Meaning - those who had reserved the Win-10 upgrade, but have not (yet) been prompted about it...

Upon learning of my experience (regarding the failed acquisition process), have then gone into Windows Update, examined their Update History log, and discovered that they too have a growing list of Failed Win-10 update attempts being logged...

Some of these individuals have Security products installed other than Norton, yet the failure seems to be exactly the same...

To me, this puts the burden of blame mostly (and quite squarely) at Microsoft's feet.

I have absolutely no idea what may have induced these corruptions - but I do know that I've now downloaded multiple versions of the Win-10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool (verify mode enabled) and have yet to produce a bad media copy (with Norton fully enabled throughout the entire download and DVD burn process).

I have also now updated 3 different systems encompassing a mix of very dissimilar hardware, architectures, and OS versions - all with Norton (current version) installed and fully enabled...

Not a single problem encountered yet (using the created install media method)...

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

I just did the download last night and installed it everything was still intact.So far everything is working.The only glitchy thing was watching youtube videos or news videos that maybe a flashplayer thing that needs another update

Kudos0

Is it possible Windows Media Center has something to do with the problems?   Windows 10 does not support it.

Kudos0

Meda Center will be automatically uninstalled as the reservation tool in your taskbar says. So that cannot and is not the culprit, as Install knows what to do.

I upgraded one system With MC with the Windows Update method and had no problems at all.

W10 Fall CU / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 56 & 57, TB 52.5, NS 22.11.2.7, (Android 4.2 with NMS)
Kudos0

It's Microsoft's fault. They announced a release date of July 29th and guess what? People expected it to be out that day. Even though Microsoft blogged that it'd be out in stages similar to Norton's product patches. Then it said on Microsoft Canada's Windows 10 page get Windows 10 in August 2015. I learned about the Media Creation Tool by clicking "more information" on the failed Upgrade to Windows 10. I only experienced one of those failed messages with NS latest version installed.

My second machine with AVG didn't produce a "Windows 10 is downloading" notification either. I didn't check the update history but I don't think AVG or Norton was blocking any upgrade.

I point the finger at Microsoft and it's lofty promises and bad ideas. I think MS noticed that the Windows Update upgrade wasn't going as planned. So they put out the Media Creation Tool. But that's just a guess.

I even tried to force Windows Update to download the upgrade on my NS PC. It didn't work correctly and only downloaded a partial upgrade. The second time I tried it seemed to work but the file was huge 5GB+. I used that command wuauclt.exe /update now

That was my experience. After several failed Google searches I discovered the media creation tool by dumb luck and everything went fine after that.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.