• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Original Embedded Unsupported Obsolete Norton Security in My HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop "CAN NOT BE REMOVED"!

To Whom it may Concern:

Original Embedded Norton Security in My HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop "CAN NOT BE REMOVED"!

Although I have marked this thread as  "I need a solution" I really " DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS ONE!"

For almost Two years now I have struggled with an HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop Computer 
which came factory installed  with Windows Vista/Norton Security-pre-installed! 

After upgrading to Win 10 Pro x32 currently ver. 1709, O.S. Build 17074.1002 
as I participate in the Microsoft Windows Insider O.S. Build Preview Program.

I have contacted Norton numerous times concerning this issue, where upon 
a Norton Tech would perform a remote session diagnostic & alleged repair 
to correct this "UNSOLVABLE ISSUE".

Since NORTON has abandoned 
the Norton Security Product which is EMBEDDED in 
the Original Vista Operating System -"IT CAN NOT BE REMOVED"!

The dilemma that this causes is multi-faceted,
in that when an attempt is made to install 
the Norton "Internet" Security Product that is currently still supported 
by Norton, even though at first it appears that
 the Original Embedded Obsolete unsupported Norton Security Product was been removed &
 the Norton "Internet" Security Product "APPEARS" to have been Installed correctly,
 & updates & Scans correctly,  in actuality after a few reboots of the Computer
 the Original Embedded unsupported Obsolete Norton Security Product re-installs itself, with the end
 result of "BOTH"  the Original Embedded unsupported Obsolete Norton Security Product & 
the currently supported Norton "Internet" Security Product trying 
to "BOTH" run on the "SAME" Computer at the "SAME" time!

At this point, my only purpose for this Thread is to Document what
 has occurred & explain my position for my decision to "NOT" re-new my subscription of 
the Norton "Internet" Security Product when it comes due for renewal!

Presently, I've been left no other alternative, other than to rely on 
Microsoft's Built in Anti-Virus Protection Software-Defender
 & Scanning tools that Norton offers,
but unfortunately, presently, Norton's currently supported "Internet" Security Products 
can not be installed in Old Computers that came with 
Embedded Factory installed Obsolete Norton Security Products  
that are no longer supported by Norton, & 
"MOST IMPORTANTLY CAN NOT BE PERMANENTLY REMOVED" - 
UNLESS YOU REPLACE THE ENTIRE OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH IS COST 
PROHIBITIVE!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Original Embedded Unsupported Obsolete Norton Security in My HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop "CAN NOT BE REMOVED"!

Hello J80r59m. You stated: After upgrading to Win 10 Pro x32 currently ver. 1709, O.S. Build 17074.1002 
as I participate in the Microsoft Windows Insider O.S. Build Preview Program

The "embedded" old version of Norton which is in your original factory partition shouldn't be trying to install unless you as the user are prompting it too. That usually happens when a factory restore has taken place. FWIW! Windows Vista will NOT upgrade to Windows 10 and is not supported further by Microsoft. You may consider wiping the factory partition at some point.

As a Windows insider myself its common knowledge that running a production antiviral solution on "preview builds" is asking for issues to abound. I personally run my insider install on a machine where nothing matters if the OS goes bottom up. Windows Defender in the only AV solution running. That being said, allow me to ask:

-Are you logging into the machine in question under an admin account, whether it be a local admin or with your MS credentials.

-Is fast boot enabled? If so disable it.

-Have you ran the official removal and reinstallation tool for Norton? Here is the official download link: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Note: When you run the removal tool select "remove only" follow prompts and reboot the system. Check that the remnants of Norton are indeed removed. Then reinstall your product by logging into your account and downloading from there. Let us know how your situation is when done.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.253 / NSBU 22.16.3.21 / Norton Core v.270 on Android
Kudos0

Re: Original Embedded Unsupported Obsolete Norton Security in My HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop "CAN NOT BE REMOVED"!

What is the name and version number of the pre-installed Norton program and does it show up in Windows Programs and Features?  All pre-installed software should be able to be uninstalled.  There is something wrong if you are unable to remove this product.

Kudos0

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

Hello again. Given that you are on a "preview build" of Redstone 4 check the setting in the screenshot below. Removing old installation files and refreshing your PC may help with your issue.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.253 / NSBU 22.16.3.21 / Norton Core v.270 on Android
Kudos0

SoulAsylum;

Nothing you suggested in your reply is relevant to this issue! FYI, I did upgrade from Vista to Win 10 Pro x32 & since the upgrade a restore has "NEVER" been performed! Please do not reply again as I will not respond to your ignorance!

Kudos0

Twilight Princess;

It was, by Level II Norton Techs who have spent hours trying everything to remove the original Norton Security Product, but "NO MATTER " what was done it keeps coming back!

Kudos0

Hello again. I suggest you contact support with your issue. For the record there has NEVER been an upgrade path from Windows Vista to ANY version of Windows 10. Since you are running a insider install of Windows 10 the only way you could have that installed is if you performed a "clean" install. The ignorance is all yours sir. Have a nice day.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths

Kudos0

SendOfJive; The Original Norton Product was factory installed by Hp in the Original Operating System which was Vista. It's identified as "Norton Security", which is obsolete and no longer supported by Norton! But, "NO-MATTER what the Level II Norton Technicians have done, spending hours in their futile attempt to Remove the embedded Code in the system files, it "CAN NOT BE REMOVED" without doing a clean install of a Win 10 Pro x32 Operating System that costs about $100.00.  

Kudos0

SoulAsylum; You need to read original Thread! Whether you want to except the fact that my HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop has been upgraded from Vista to Win 10Pro x32 ver 1709 O.S. Build 17074.1002 is irrelevant to me! Those are the facts!

Kudos1 Stats

Sir!! Not to be argumentative in the least. I have read each word posted here. As a Microsoft Certified Professional I can absolutely tell you that Win 10Pro x32 version 1709 O.S. Build 17074.1002 IS an insider Redstone 4 build, there isn't any question about that. The confusion on your parts seems to be that your FACTORY OS was Windows Vista. That being pre-installed on a hidden partition on your original hard drive. IF you had Windows Vista on your machine wasn't eligible to install Windows 10. You would have needed to perform a CLEAN install of the insider build because it wouldn't have "upgraded". The confusion on your part is the "upgraded" position. I am trying to tender that to you in a sense that makes sense to you. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-windows-vista-windows-10

Either upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista then upgrading to Windows 10 OR backing up your current OS and doing a clean install had to happen. RTM or insider, both require a "qualifying" OS, Vista is not one. Making that clear as a first step helps us assist in rectifying your issue of HOW the pre-installed Norton continues to be installed from your factory partition.

If you "reset" your install of Windows 10 it should re-activate IF it is tied to your credentials under a Microsoft account if you have established one.

Cheers

Kudos3 Stats

None of this is making any sense.  Pre-installed software is not "embedded" anywhere.  It cannot resurrect itself.  These are just regular programs installed on the operating system.  If you do a supported upgrade to Windows 10, the program is retained; if you do a clean install, it is gone forever.  Far from being obsolete and unsupported, Norton Security is the current product.  I agree with SoulAsylum that the issue is very likely a result of how you got a beta version of Windows 10 to replace Vista.

Kudos0

Hello

Norton Internet Security is the older program. Norton Security is the current program. Both programs are on version 22.12.0.104.

How did you contact Norton Customer Support?

www.norton.com/contactcs     is the link for Norton Customer Support. You can get either chat or a phone connection number with that link.

Isn't a backup program or current images required for the Insider Program and a test computer required and 1 Security program?

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.3.21 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

Hello J80r59m 

Back when I was on dial-up I had  no success downloading NRT.exe the Norton Removal Tool. I PM'ed another forum member who sent it to me attached to e-mail as a zip. That method worked but when I started it, I aborted because that tool disclaimed that it would remove ANY and ALL Norton Products, nothing selective about it. I was not about to remove and later have to install ALL my  products.

Either I found that the N360 installer first checks for an existing active or inactive Norton protection product then activates it if possible and queries to save settings or not save setting and just remove. Or, I did a Windows Recovery - restore to before I had the Norton product go loose cannon.

That old program has been replaced by NRnR.exe, Norton Remove and Replace tool which only removes Norton Protection products. Yesterday the NRnR.exe failed to R&R my Norton Partner CentruyLink Norton Antivirus Online , the Phased Distribution of Version 22, Release 12.0, Build 104, and has been opening, begging for another chance, each re-start since, that's for another topic. (22.12.0.104 problem here: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recent-update-disabled-firewall?page=1 )

If you PM me with an e-mail you have access to or request for one from me I'll attach and send that zip to you. This is an AYOR I never used it except as far as the disclaimer from opening it on my (HP) Compaq Presario CQ3520F with Windows 7 Pro.

Does anyone know if NRT.exe ran or runs in the Windows 10 (name goes here) OS?

J

Kudos0

To Whom it may Concern;

Attached Snip shows "Norton Security Product "STILL" being detected, even though "ALL", (involving "HOURS" of Numerous Remote Sessions by Level II Norton Technicians), REMOVAL attempts involving Special Removal Tools exclusively available to "ONLY" Level II Norton Technicians -Case# - 33866936-01-22-2018, FAILED to REMOVE  THE ORIGINAL EMBEDDED, OBSOLETE, UNSUPPORTED "VISTA" - "Norton Security Product"!, Relentlessly returning, listed in the Task manager as "running", "EVERY " time an attempt is made to install the currrently Supported "Norton Internet Security Product!

Kudos0

Hello

nrnr can run in Windows 10. The nrt tool now redirects you to nrnr. If that is used in Advanced Mode, then it will remove the Norton products.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.3.21 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

J80r59m:

Attached Snip shows "Norton Security Product "STILL" being detected...

Hi J80r59m:

Sorry, but I can't see an attached image.  If you'd like to embed an image in the body of your next post using the IMCE button in the editor's toolbar peterweb has posted instructions at How to Post an Image in the Forums.

My HP Pavilion dv6835ca Vista laptop was purchased in 2008 and came with a factory-installed 90-day trial version of Norton Internet Security v15.x (a.k.a. NIS 2008).  At the end of the 90-day trial I decided to keep using NIS, and each year I would purchase a new product key to renew my annual subscription and upgrade NIS as newer versions were released.  Symantec introduced a new line of Norton products called Norton Security (e.g., Norton Security Basic, Standard, Deluxe or Premium) in September 2014 and I eventually switched to Norton Security Premium in 2017,  but older product lines like Norton Antivirus (NAV), Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Norton 360 (N360) are still fully supported and all these v22.x products recently received the latest v22.12.0.104 update described <here>.

Could the "original embedded unsupported obsolete Norton Security" you refer to be an older trial version of Norton Internet Security (NIS) that was installed at the factory by HP when you purchased your Vista computer?

When you look in your Windows Task Manager and show processes for all users what is the name of the loaded Norton executables (e.g. nis.exe, nortonsecurity.exe, etc.), and are these executables located on C: drive in the default Norton installation folder (e.g., C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\..., C:\Program Files\Norton Security\...)?  Please note that the current NIS v22.12.0.104 should have two running processes for nortonsecurity.exe (i.e., not the nis.exe for older versions of NIS).  The main nortonsecurity.exe process is owned by SYSTEM and manages high-priorty real-time protection tasks while the second nortonsecurity.exe process is owned by the USER currently logged in to Windows and manages lower-priority tasks like rendering of the Norton GUI and background idletime tasks. Here's what Microsoft Sysinternal's Process Explorer currently shows for my Vista SP2 computer, which now has Norton Security Premium v22.12.0.104 installed.

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB v3.1.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

If it's starting up it could be left over instructions in Task Scheduler just as Norton had done to me. Those instructions in Task Scheduler could be activating code in the hidden HP factory_image or whatever - Vista(?) partition. If the instructions are removed the code is just using space in there that can't be used anyway. If it can't be removed, just prevent its activation.

Look in the third frame of https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-internet-security-constantly-stoppingfaulting .

Maybe later a new SSD with just the current OS partition with installed programs and a partition with your libraries and desktop, your data. Hard disks wear out eventually. SSD's have no slow-moving-parts compared to electrons only.

J

PS: The NRT.exe I had referred to earlier is in MY archive I would attach it as a zip to an e-mail. My thought was that a vintage un-installer might be a better fit for a vintage program version on a vintage OS. Enough grapes to open a winery, eh, clink, clink, aah.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.