• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos2 Stats

Outlook 2010 and Norton's AntiSpam add-in are not playing together

This latest update (22.12.0.104) seems to have completely broken the Outlook 2010 Antispam add-in. Strange how Symantec/Norton seems to repeat history when it comes to integration issues. This same thing happened back in 2015 and no solution or explanation was ever given by Symantec for it then either. There was even a thread here that claimed Norton was not compatible with Outlook 2010. Here were a few years later and once again Outlook and Norton's Antispam add in are not playing together.

Tried everything suggested including uninstalling and reinstalling both Norton and Office 2010. Once Norton finishes the updates the issue returns and the add-in is rendered inactive. Registering the add-in is a total waste of time as it appears to always get deactivated by Outlook if it ever gets registered in the first place when clicking the appropriate text link in the Norton settings screen. I do find it strange how Outlook doesn't even show a location for the add-in. I already spent too many hours on the phone with Norton tech support and no solution or explanation was offered. In fact, this foreign accented person actually suggested I do a complete reinstall of EVERYTHING from the OS on up. That is NOT even worth considering!!! It would far quicker and easier to remove Norton and switch to a different security program. I, like most people, do not have the time to reinstall Win 7 64-bit from scratch followed by the hundreds of updates to the OS and Office software.

Labels: AntiSpam

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Outlook 2010 and Norton's AntiSpam add-in are not playing together

Wiz,

I'm running Outlook 2010 with the latest Norton update and Anti-Spam is working fine. When I look at my Options.. Add-Ins in Outlook I see the Norton Antispam Outlook Plugin with the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\ Engine 32\22.12.0.104\ msouplug.dll  (Win10 Home, 64 bit)  My Norton info is in the Active section of the add-ins.

You might want to see what's at that location in your Program Files. Possibly the dll is missing or corrupt???

Kudos1 Stats

Wiz, bit bemused by your screen shot. Add-ins I would have thought should be on your 'C' drive, 'D' drive is normally your Recovery drive and ideally should not have anything saved to it, all programs and associated files should be on the main 'C' drive. I have Windows 8.1 & Office 2013, slightly different Add-Ins to yours but those that are identical are on my 'C' drive.

Kudos0

All: Wondering if Wiz has enabled outlook in the antispam setting from the Norton dashboard and clicked the "Register Addin" just to the right of it. His screenshot isn't pointing toward it although it appears he stated he has done so. Just a thought for him to recheck.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.168 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

To answer your question, no matter how many times the slider is turned on and the add in is registered it fails to appear in Outlook with a location. It cannot even be added manually through the COM add-in's interface in Outlook 2010. I know because I have tried it multiple times. With literally decades of IT experience I actually do know what I am doing. This all started with the latest Norton update to 22.12.0.104. Until then everything functioned properly.

Kudos0

You can be bemused all you want. I don't buy off the shelf systems that are setup that way; never have and never will. I wisely chose to build my own system long ago for good reason. Simply put - better parts and real warranties that are actually useful (and often longer than store bought systems) and don't require surrendering the entire system when something goes awry. Besides the simple fact that Windows can map the plugin's wherever they may be located. Well, all except this particular one which worked fine until Norton updated to 22.12.0.104. That is when it disappeared and stopped functioning. This was verified when I reinstalled Norton and things were fine until the update patch to the latest version. I did incremental checks in Outlook during the reinstallation process after each patch was applied and things were back to as they should be. Then came the last patch to 22.12.0.104. Literally, as soon as the system was restarted after that patch was applied the plugin was broken, the toolbar was removed and Norton Antispam completely stopped working. In other words, the drive location has nothing to do with it.

Kudos0

Wiz are you running Windows 10 by chance?

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.168 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

Nope. I almost made that mistake. Thought about the no choice updates and decided no way Microsoft was going to kill my system with one of their screwed up updates. Literally spent months reversing clients, friends and family's PC's that did and regretted it. Then came the rude awakening regarding the damage done when you choose to roll back to the original OS.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
Office 2010 (Office 14) Professional 32-bit SP2
Norton Security 22.12.0.104

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback. I did see that you are running W7 Ultimate but wanted to rule out the possibility you may have upgraded. Having been with W10 from the beginning of the insider program, all the way to present I have gotten to know W10 thoroughly. I trust it, and others should as well provided they have trusted assistance to get it setup correctly. Just a matter of opinion I suppose. Your issue is eerily similar to one I have on one of my Windows 10 Pro x64 AMD Zambezi machines where a failing Office 2010 update is related to a Windows update breaking dll's in the WinSxS directory. KB4056892.

My Outlook 2010 on that machine is fubar as well. My other machines are fine although they are a mix of Intel and AMD. I found that KB4056892 having been successfully installed twice, and cannot be removed. I know its related to only "specific" AMD chips https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/. My AMD Zambezi machine is one on the listing.

Norton update to 22.12.0.104 does have its issues, specifically that it wiped the required registry entry regarding Meltdown and Spectre specific to A/V vendors and stopped MS updates being able to install. The entry info can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/january-3-2018-windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software Upon R&R of the Norton product on this machine the registry entry was presented again as it should have been. Problem solved in that arena. Windows updates are still blocked. Outlook 2010 functions but has add-on registration issues as well. Hope this helps in some fashion.

Cheers

Kudos0

I am running Windows 10 64 bit with Norton 360.  I also have the problem whereby Norton anti-spam sudddenly stopped working back in January.  When I look at Outlook -File-Options, I see that the Anti-Spam plug-in is listed as "Disabled".  It is Outlook- enabled on the Norton dashboard.  When I try to 'add' the plug-in through Outlook, it claims the file path does not exist, even though I am copying it directly from File Explorer.  Rebooting Outlook does not help.   Any solutions for Windows 10 Outlook 2010?

Kudos0

Hello

I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I also have Office 2013 Click to Run. For some reason it never installed the Feb. updates on it's own. I don't use Norton Anti Spam, so I don't have that issue. I let Outlook collect the Spam.. I will have to try and do a manual install of the Feb updates this weekend as Tuesday is Windows Update day again. Outlook does see that an update is available, but hasn't installed it yet. I am wondering if Norton is responsible. I had this problem once before for a couple of months and I think Norton was responsible back then.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

floplot: Thanks for the input.  In reading about this issue via Google searches, it appears (from others) that this is a recurring problem with Norton/Symantec/Intuit et al.  Seems ironic since it's their busniess to prevent malware, viruses, and spam from getting to their customers' computers . . . and they seem to be failing.  Maybe one of their tech's will come up with a solution.

Kudos0

I am Windows 8.1 with office 2013 Click to Run. Up until November last year, Office used to auto update a few days after patch Tuesday. On both computers, December onwards it has not, have to do a manual, also Microsoft apparently stopped issuing spam updates 18 months ago. I have Anti-Spam switched off in Norton as it considerably slows down send/receive. The Add-In in Outlook is enabled, this seems to installed by default. Switching off will then switch itself on next open. I use 'Spam'/'Not Spam' along with Rules & Alerts but that only works on Inbox receipts.

Kudos0

@Wiz The solution to your issue is as PhxFlyer previously stated. Reinstall your product, and install with ALL components installing into the same directory one a "specific" drive.

All: Please have a look at this article:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v115546062_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

Kudos0

SoulAsylum:  I looked at the link you provided.  It only speaks to "adding a port".  Unfortunately, for those of us who are not programmers, it doesn't provide instructions on determing the port type nor the port number.  So, while I appreciate your assistance, the link doesn't help.  As for the dll file, my search on File Explorer found the file where PhxFlyer said it would be; however, Outlook does not recognize the file string.  So, with that in mind, it appears your other recommendation of uninstalling Norton and re-installing is the only option remaining.  Seems like this makes it a Norton compatibility issue, yet again.

Kudos1 Stats

Closing out my thread.  Magically, the Norton Anti-spam welcome screen appeared when I opened Outlook this morning.  Don't know if this was the result of a secret update or karma from the ethernet twilight zone.  Nonetheless, it is mysteriously working again.  Thanks to all who provided assistance.

Kudos0

sheets07 You are as always most welcome. Glad hearing your issue is gone. I suspect an update of some sort corrected your issue.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.