• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Patch application on 3-5-2018 Crashed Machine, Removed critical components of Office and Norton itself

I don't have time to go through a chat/call and all the steps that I would be taken through. I fixed it myself but I thought I would report that this happened.

My laptop had been off for 2 days. Upon starting it up today, there were 10 updates reported in live update. The sequence ended requesting me to apply a patch. I did. During the patch process, unlike in the past, it asked me to manually close ScanSnap Manager and Mailbird email, which I did. It then resumed the patch. Moments later, I got a blue screen (full system crash). It ran through its data collection process and restarted the machine.

Upon restart, none of my Microsoft Office application shortcuts worked. After closer inspection, my Microsoft Office root folder had been decimated - almost all files missing, folders remained. I tried to run Norton again from the START menu and nothing happened. I attempted a roll back using System Restore to a point three days previous. It failed.

I uninstalled Microsoft Office completely using Revo Uninstaller. I rebooted per Microsoft's recommendation. I then ran the Norton Removal tool to remove and reinstall Norton. Microsoft Office works normally now.

As it did last week, I was unable to activate Norton because I had 2FA enabled. I spent an hour on chat with Norton last week trying to figure this one out only to discover on my own that I could disable 2FA, activate, and re-enable 2FA. FYI NORTON - your 2FA system still does not work for new install activation.

After activation, Live Update had 14 updates including a patch. The patch worked this time without requesting I close anything.

Just wanted to put this out there in case it happens to anyone else. It may have just been a one time things, combination of random events on my machine that caused it. If you start getting multiple reports - you should look into it.

Windows 10 64-bit.

I think this data related to the crash:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
Code:    3b
Parameter 1:    c0000005
Parameter 2:    fffff80d2e9fcd3d
Parameter 3:    ffffef8fbd628c30
Parameter 4:    0
OS version:    10_0_16299
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
OS Version:    10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    1033

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff80d2e9fcd3d, 0xffffef8fbd628c30, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 9d76bf65-daa4-4f91-86a8-5b877fcaec3b.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Patch application on 3-5-2018 Crashed Machine, Removed critical components of Office and Norton itself

Hello Paul. The error code 0x0000003b no matter what the parameter codes following it are, is due to the system going from non-privileged to privileged data and vice versa. Usually its the result of a few common things. Outdated video drivers or incorrect drivers, faulting memory or just a result of having applications running in the background when installing software. When you said the following below gives me the inclination open processes caused your issue.

During the patch process, unlike in the past, it asked me to manually close ScanSnap Manager and Mailbird email, which I did. It then resumed the patch. Moments later, I got a blue screen (full system crash). It ran through its data collection process and restarted the machine.

The first thing needing asked is whether or not you have "fast boot" enabled or disabled on the system, as well as hibernate. If they are both enabled disable them since it is well known having them enabled in Window 8/8.1/10 does frequently cause issues as you have had. Having them enabled even with a system shutdown doesn't give you a 100% clean restart next boot time. Also get the latest OEM video drivers for your system and disregard the Windows update versions offered. I have had issues with them on a lot of my customer devices in recent months. Regarding 2FA, I just installed NSBU on a new machine 3 hours ago having used two factor authentication. Zero issues.

Thanks for reporting your issues. We will ensure one of the admins views your post as a reference to yet another possible bug in the latest release 22.12.1.15.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.168 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

Re: Patch application on 3-5-2018 Crashed Machine, Removed critical components of Office and Norton itself

Thanks so much for a detailed reply. I do always want to learn about these things.

The most concerning thing is that I recently reset my laptop. I hadn't done so since I got it over a year ago and noticed that the install/uninstall and use of so many different programs had started to show little issues. I did this reset last week and have yet to install most of the software I use. I do have a discrete graphics in this laptop so it runs additional drivers (Nvidia) for those. That was one of the things I installed soon after the full reset. It's concerning, since this is so close to a fresh install of Windows, this shouldn't happen.

I do have fast boot enabled as I have ... almost always. I do understand how it works. Again, it has caused no problems. I will take your advice in part though and turn it off, do a clean reboot, then turn it back on. That will reload everything that may have changed since the reset. Fast boot has caused no previous problems. I haven't seen the blue screen.... wow.... I can't even remember.

Hibernate - I usually jack up the delay to over a day. You may have something here. This was a very rare time that I had not used this laptop for 2 days. I used my other laptop and desktop computer. It very well could have gone into hibernation. This laptop has an SSD drive so hibernation is barely a step away from sleep when it comes to starting back on the computer.

As for 2FA - the reason I ran into the problem recently is also because I just reset my PC and had to reinstall Norton. I spent about an hour with Norton tech support who went through so many attempts to fix it including the usual full uninstall/reinstall. I asked them if it was 2FA and they said no. They moved me up to tier 2 support and the first thing I asked the guy was should I turn off 2FA. While he was answering, I just went and did it, it activated. I told him. Then he tells me Symantec was updating their servers or something. I tried again today, didn't work. Odd thing is that it sends me the text message every time ...  doesn't give me the option to enter the code, reports and error, and takes me back to the logon screen. I know it works otherwise... because I just did it here on my Chromebook to reply to your message. I have no idea why it doesn't work on my installs on this laptop (all of a sudden).

I wanted to respond with more info that might help. I certainly don't want the developers wasting time on an isolated incident. The crash may have been. The failure of 2FA makes no sense unless that would also be related to bad drivers? That doesn't seem to make sense.

I still find Norton Security to be a good product and this doesn't change it. I was a little annoyed by the hour with tech support that should have taken 5 minutes. Otherwise, your fast and detailed response just further reinforces that. Thanks!

Kudos0

Oh - wait - it says fast boot does not affect reboot. Is a reboot with fast boot on equivalent to a full shut down and cold boot?

Kudos1 Stats

Fast Boot is only used with the Shutdown command. It stores system data in a special Hibernate file and loads that file when you  boot the system.

A Restart command ignores the Fast Boot option and nothing is saved and it does a normal boot.

Jim

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.