• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Peek at NIS 2010 review

----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Peek at NIS 2010 review

Kudos5 Stats

There are a couple of things that bother me about the review.  First, he says that they aren't malicious to the operating system, and from what we've seen on the forum, they are more damaging than the rootkits.

We have no idea what his browser security was set or whether heuristics in Norton were on aggressive.  He went looking for a rogue antivirus, specifically clicked on it and downloaded it.  I don't see that any commercial antivirus is likely to block something that the user clicks on.  Can you imagine the screaming from the gamers trying to download mods, or the music buffs on p2p when Norton simply blocked them.

While it might be a bit tacky to have Norton Safe Web give the payment site a safe rating, do we actually think that the owners of the site are going to have any malware on it for NSW to find.  No, they want it to look safe.

So yes, it is going to give people an unfortunate view of Norton protection, but for many wrong reasons.

Just my humble opinion.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

true - didn't look at it this way.... well we'll see how the final review will come out
Kudos5 Stats

I agree with delphnium about the legitimacy of this review.

The first thing I notice on the task bar are three instances of the Norton interface open, plus the help center. Why?

Perhaps tweaking Norton to arrive at a predetermined result?

Second, the software site mentioned is not listed by Safe Web as being safe; it is Grey - not yet rated: http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=SoftSafeness.

However in the screenshots we are seeing the green check mark from Safe Web when paying for the product. Unfortunately we cannot see if the https payment page is from a third party payment site which may be unrelated and trusted.

Third, in this Norton Forum thread I performed a Real-World test on a similar type of rogue application. Norton blocked the attempted attack and even when I acted like an unsuspecting user and "took the bait" by clicking to download the software it was blocked by NIS 2010.

I think more investigation into this test is required before we regard it as legitimate.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Real quick since I'm taking care of my sick daughter....nothing special happened here.  I loaded a rogue (a very basic one by the looks) and NIS 2010 did nothing really..just said it was untrusted and let it do what it (the rogue) was designed to do.  All settings were at DEFAULT.  Video due out in the next 48 hours...stay tuned.

Also, I have to say that the only thing NIS lets through is a rogue...stops everything else cold.

Kudos0

Hi removemalware and welcome!

It is nice to meet the author of the review and I should like to watch the video when it is available.

I am curious as to why three instances of the NIS GUI were open as indicated in the taskbar.

Best wishes to your daughter on a speedy recovery!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

ok, the review has now been uploaded to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjWh0AJh58M

Kudos0

Well i had a chance to see this before, and yes the reviewer is right, Norton did not block the rogue, personal antivirus 2010, i tested myself and shared here. But nothing is 100% that can protect us..the good things is how many days it takes to develop definitions for it..
Genuine Windows 8.1 x64 Pro; NIS 2014; HP Pavallion G6 Notebook with AMD Core 2 Quad A10; 6 GB RAM; ; 1TB Western Digital HDD, AMD Radeon 2.5 GB Graphics Card
Kudos0

Wow! A 43 minute video.

I'll need to set aside some time to view it in its entirety, but thanks for the update cinek!

Kudos0

Hi:

I think Symantec can take some suggestions from the video.

He seems to point out some interesting things. Pity they rouge

scarred the video.

Maybe Symantec should look at the video.

Mitka

Message Edited by Mitka on 09-23-2009 11:15 AM
"Life opens up when you do." - Procter & Gamble
Kudos0

yep, lets hope they'll release a patch which will include few suggestions
Kudos0

What bothers me about letting the program through is that SONAR previously blocked other threats with similar trust levels, and user rates, but not this one. Why not? I think the reviewer makes a good point.  I would be interested in any comments from Symantec.

I would have been curious also to see what happened if he used the quarantine function to kill and remove the threat.

jackrabbit

Kudos2 Stats

For me the crunch on all these reports of weakness -- and we have some experts here at seeing out baddies! <g> -- is your opening remark:

I went out looking for a rogue ....

Well, you found it and Norton warned you that it was not a trusted file ......

Given the speed of proliferation of attacks what more can you ask in reality?

As a wise man once said -- it wasn't me, I just quote it -- "The biggest defense weakness on your system lies between the left ear and the right ear .... "

Incidentally some in the comments to your review refer to the weakness of signature definition protection as if Norton still was dependent on it -- it is not. There are some excellent explanations here in the Forums by Symantec Staffers -- names in red -- and in the blogs on how Cloud technology is being used.

And I must say -- great to see you here. I hope your daughter is soon recovered and we see you here more often.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.