• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Please help Norton 360 security has been modified

Please help. After finding a backdoor trojan with malwarebytes that neither Norton 360 or Superanti Spyware detected, I am unsure about about my internet security, and think it might have been modified, the anti phising I noticed has not been updated since the 18th, and other things dont look right. To top all this I hastily changed my Admin Logon password, and for some reason it is not being recognised, so now I cannot update programs or install or remove programs without Admin permission, and as I dont have the password so I am stump. I feel really physically sick with all this business, it has made me ill. Can someone please give me some help and advice, because the way I feel right now lets just say I'm not in a very good place. The thing is I only scanned my computer with the afore mentioned products a few days ago and it showed everything was o.k. I'm not sure whether this has to do with the firefox/Norton issue that I ended up getting this trogan, but in 10 months online I have never had a virus or any other malware including tracking cookies until now. I just really dont know what to do as this as caused me so much stress, if I could only get into my admin account I would feel a whole lot better.  

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Please help Norton 360 security has been modified

Please help. After finding a backdoor trojan with malwarebytes that neither Norton 360 or Superanti Spyware detected, I am unsure about about my internet security, and think it might have been modified, the anti phising I noticed has not been updated since the 18th, and other things dont look right. To top all this I hastily changed my Admin Logon password, and for some reason it is not being recognised, so now I cannot update programs or install or remove programs without Admin permission, and as I dont have the password so I am stump. I feel really physically sick with all this business, it has made me ill. Can someone please give me some help and advice, because the way I feel right now lets just say I'm not in a very good place. The thing is I only scanned my computer with the afore mentioned products a few days ago and it showed everything was o.k. I'm not sure whether this has to do with the firefox/Norton issue that I ended up getting this trogan, but in 10 months online I have never had a virus or any other malware including tracking cookies until now. I just really dont know what to do as this as caused me so much stress, if I could only get into my admin account I would feel a whole lot better.  

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Kudos0

When you hastily changed the password, did you have Caps Lock enabled, or not ?

Try your password in Upper and Lower case, or a combination of the two.

Have you tried your old password again, just in case it didn't change afterall.

Is there another account on your pc with Admin Rights ?

Have you tried in Safe Mode, with old and new password.

Kudos0

boneidle wrote:

When you hastily changed the password, did you have Caps Lock enabled, or not ?

Try your password in Upper and Lower case, or a combination of the two.

Have you tried your old password again, just in case it didn't change afterall.

Is there another account on your pc with Admin Rights ?

Have you tried in Safe Mode, with old and new password.

I tried all of those things except trying in safe mode. I cant see that will make any difference really. I did a google search which led me to a pc help forum that pretty much gave advice like yours to the person that posted, and suggested as a last resort using a program called ophcrack, which is a Windows password cracker that can be downloaded as ISO and burnt to disk, and does not require installation. The person recommending the program said he tried it out and it found his 10 digit Windows password in 10 seconds. That is a worry if a program can find a 10 digit password in 10 seconds.

What do you thing, is it worth trying it?

Kudos0

I think you should at least try Safe Mode, clicking on the 'Administrator' Icon, and trying  with your old, or new password.

The Administrator Account doesn't normally show in the logon window, unless you have altered the registry.

If you get in via the Administrator account, you can create another account for yourself with admin rights.

Yes those progs do work, but that's up to you if you try it.

When you get it sorted, do another Malwarebytes scan.

By the way, what OS are you using ?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.