• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos39 Stats

Please Return The Local Vault

I know this is a rusty old bell, but I thought I'd clang it again.

Please return the Local Identity Safe feature in v21.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.

Replies

Kudos13 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Krusty13 wrote:

I know this is a rusty old bell, but I thought I'd clang it again.

Please return the Local Identity Safe feature in v21.


Yes .. Fully Agreed 100%. It would be very nice to once again have the Beloved Local Vault back upon doing any Clean Install.

 

Rusty old bell or not, I'll clang it with you.

 

 

 

Ed

Kudos9 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Fully agree, I'd prefer to have the choice.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos12 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

yes i agree!!! please Symantec give us back the local vault!!! i hated the removal of local vault in Nis 2013. please we want it back!!! dont make us to look for another product!!!!!!!

Kudos6 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Agree, the Local ID vault is a feature that was badly missing from version 20, do not let it happen again in ver 21.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.
Kudos6 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

The problem is noticable when you're making a new profile for the PC and the only option is to make an online vaul. There isn't any option to make local vault. This would be annoying if you should decide to make a new account on the same PC later down the line. Also, I hate having to go through loops of installing NIS 2012 first and then over installing it with NIS2013 (NIS20). Please bring back local ID Safe.

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I'm calling this a glimmer of hope  -


Tim_Lopez wrote;

Hi car825,

Yes, if you have a local vault from version 20, you can retain it by installing version 21 over version 20.

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-Norton-Internet/Local-Identity-Safe-Vault-amp-NIS-Ver-21/m-p/979995/highlight/true#M89

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos7 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Yes but this is getting ridiculous.. I mean we have to install three version of Norton in order to get local identity safe back. that's just crazy, it's not like it's a engineering problem of the software. it's just symantec being stubborn with it's users. Give the people want they want, make your customers happy. Build local Identity safe back in. PLEASE!
Kudos9 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Microsoft did listen to their customers about Windows 8 so now we will see win 8.1 with some of the most missed feature. Local Vault is the feature that most people miss from Norton, so please listen to your customers and bring it back.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.
Kudos4 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


jarrycanada wrote:
Yes but this is getting ridiculous.. I mean we have to install three version of Norton in order to get local identity safe back. that's just crazy, it's not like it's a engineering problem of the software. it's just Symantec being stubborn with it's users. Give the people want they want, make your customers happy. Build local Identity safe back in. PLEASE!

Well not 3.  Just 2.  Norton 2012 and Norton 2014 (I hope).  But why do I have to install that far back?  It's crazy.  So my routine for glitchy install is:

  1. Uninstall current Norton completely
  2. Restart
  3. Run Norton Removal tool
  4. Restart
  5. Reinstall Norton 2012
  6. Upgrade to current version of Norton
  7. Run LiveUpdate until no updates remain

In the past it's:

  1. Uninstall current version completely
  2. Restart
  3. Run Norton Removal Tool
  4. Restart
  5. Re-install current version of Norton
  6. Run LiveUpdate until no updates remain

See how simpler that was.

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I'll add my 2 cents here.

I have kept my local vault through many reinstalls. I am about to rebuild both my systems and would love to be able to just install the latest version and not have to jump through the hoops we have to now.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Hi! All,

I must again add my voice to the call for the return of the local ID Safe; this is a much needed component and for some a required component for security.

Thanks,

Tech83 :-)

Kudos9 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

My comments are aimed @ the Norton folks who make the decisions:

Comcast's Norton Security Suite (a clone of N 360) does not offer the Online Vault, but instead maintains the Local Vault.  That means the Local Vault has to remain engineered (programmed) into the latest versions of NSS that is released. By the same token it also means that the Online Vault has to be removed from the latest version of NSS.

I understand all about the Norton Account being the central player in the Online Vault and know that NSS does not have a Norton Account associated with it - which in part is why NSS users can not have their ID Safe sync with their mobile devices. 

I can set up a Stand Alone ID Safe on a system that doesn't have any Norton products installed and create a "fake" Norton Account to do so - but I can not do it on a system that has NSS installed on it - which does not have the same capability as the retail versions possesses for the Online Vault.

Bottom line it seems is if NSS has to be programmed to inculde the Local vault and exclude the Online vault, wouldn't it be easy to include the same programming into the retail products to include the Local Vault programming - as it is already developed for NSS??

I agree totally that the retail products should include an option for the user to choose either the Local, the Online or Both Vaults on their systems.

Kudos7 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

My PC and laptops are all protected by NIS.

NIS does not protect my router, nor the many miles of cable down which the password data needs to travel to get to the online cloud.

By insisting that only an online storage of passwords is preferred, is Symantec trying to suggest that they don't trust their product in the customers' hands?

I have no issue with the idea of convenience for those who want it, hence the online capability.

However, I don't want my passwords to leave my premises.

Please, Symantec, give us, Your Customers, the CHOICE.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Altocumulus wrote:

NIS does not protect my router, nor the many miles of cable down which the password data needs to travel to get to the online cloud.


Whatever risks might exist for the security of the Norton Identity Safe password, also exist for any password you use online, such as for online banking.  Yes, the Identity Safe password is of primary importance because it safeguards all of your other passwords - I get that.  But if you already use passwords to conduct sensitive online business, then you must have some confidence in the safety of secure online transactions - otherwise you would not be doing things like online banking, and you wouldn't have any passwords for Norton to protect.

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I am getting the impression that Norton does not listen to there customers input.  Maybe there sales dip. They might start to listen.

Kudos6 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Dear Symantec,

I thought it time I tried your online vault.  I am currently testing your stand-alone Identity Safe on one of my systems and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with it's functionality and performance.  So far, I haven't had any log in issues and it has exceeded my expectations.

All that said, I still believe it is important for you to give your customers a choice of Local or Online, lets face it, if you are still providing the local version to NSS customers then shouldn't your paying customers also have this option?

With kind regards,

Dave Krusty13.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Krusty13 wrote:

 […]

 

All that said, I still believe it is important for you to give your customers a choice of Local or Online, lets face it, if you are still providing the local version to NSS customers then shouldn't your paying customers also have this option?

....


I agree, and Symantec should really take into consideration their customers’ requests to get (back) the Local alternative as well.

 

Thanks,

Laura

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

....

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

What I don't understand is the hoops you have to go througt to keep your Local vault. Set it up in NIS 2012 and update over the top with Ver 20 (formally NIS 2013) and do the same thing with Ver 21 Beta. If the Local vault works just fine in VER 20 and 21 why not give us a choice. It's not like it won't work. Maybe an option on the setup screen to turn on Local vault. What is so hard for Norton to give us back something that still works.

Jim  

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Just adding my voice to the Local Vault Side. I think it should be up to the users to choose which one they would like to use. Being forced into the clouds doesn't sit well with many. Give us back the Local.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.-Albert Einstein-
Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

it's one thing to have your credit card number floating about as you do transactions, but we are talking about access to ALL your bank logins, ALL your credit card logins, ALL your financial institution logins ALL stored in ONE file in ONE location. IF COMPROMISED EVERY PENNY YOU OWN COULD BE GONE WIHT A FEW MOUSE CLICKS IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.
Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I counld't agree more, it would be nicer if you'll give the cust an options to have it registered Online or locally... there is nothing wrong with that, just play it safe

Kudos4 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Just to add my 2 cents. Bring back the local vault, please!

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

On-line banking uses maybe one or two transactions at a time, easy to check for any untoward activity. Any intercept that initiates fraud is (usually) re-embursed by the bank (etc).

We're talking here, with the on-line vault, of the possible compromise of every password for every site simultaneously. The inconvenience of having to chase up each of those sites would be extremely time consuming.

Will Symantec make good any losses?

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I've been ranting about this since I had lost my local vault but despite all of us here demanding/requesting the return of the local vault (which they had removed without giving us any option or explanation why) there is not one reply from the NORTON bigwigs themselves on what to do with this issue.  It almost feels like that this was their ultimate goal.  To get a hold of our log-in credentials.

For some reason I can't help but feel that the NSA/CIA aka PRISM had their hand on this.  What's not to say that when the spooks flash their "patriotic act" badge at Norton that they are not going to comply?  Even the mighty US companies Google, Microsoft, Apple, Yahoo cannot refuse a request (more like a demand) from these agencies to comply.  Heck they are not even allow to divulge on to what extent they have shared (more like handed over) someone's information.  Mr. Snowden's expose just confirms all this - to what extent the agency would go to know more about a "person of interest"...

Our online log-in details are a GOLDMINE for anyone who wants to get their hands on them. The CLOUD system for the Identity Vault just makes it easier (for companies who deals with these kind of services) to just hand them over.  

So what's there to gain?  For starters it can be one or all of the following:

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, various email accounts, bank details, online billing for utilities and phone (which will include telephone numbers of the people you contacted) - basically your whole life and that may include your links to friends and family and of course where you live.  AGAIN - it's a gold mine.  It's not just a silly program storing your log-in details - it's THE PROGRAM (software) that stores your life.  In the wrong hands, it could even destroy your life - cancel payments and direct debits... send bogus (libelous) e-mails using your account... just to name a few possibilities.

So much for the "convenience" huh?

I just find it very suspicious that Norton migrated us to the cloud services without an opt out option or the choice to keep it local.  One day I had my local vault and the next day it's gone and I've involuntarily subscribed to their online cloud services.

And the fact that with so much clamour to bring it back (and mind you these are Norton's loyal PAYING customers who may have been subscribing for years) goes on deaf ears worries me even more.  It was so easy for them to "update" the software and totally removed the local vault option from something that was working fine for the most of us... and I see no reason why it should be HARD for them to release an update to bring it back.

Plain and simple, THEY DON'T WANT TO GIVE IT BACK.  If indeed they wanted to, we would have gotten it ages ago.

Sorry but no Norton for me come 2014.  Tired of this ****. I just hope that the European Union courts get a wind of this and fine Norton/Symantec just as how they did to Google for illegal username/password harvesting and Microsoft for Anti-trust violations. You gotta teach these companies a lesson or they'll keep crossing THAT line and trample into our right to privacy and consumer choice.

Kudos4 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

naps917

I agree with you on the need for a local vault.

FYI   If you have been upgrading your Norton products by installing over the previous versions you will still have the local vault available. There is also a way to regain it if you want by reinstalling the previous version. Post or search in the appropriate forum board for your product if you want that information.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


naps917 wrote:

The CLOUD system for the Identity Vault just makes it easier (for companies who deals with these kind of services) to just hand them over.  

So what's there to gain?  For starters it can be one or all of the following:

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, various email accounts, bank details, online billing for utilities and phone (which will include telephone numbers of the people you contacted) - basically your whole life and that may include your links to friends and family and of course where you live. 


I'm not sure that the encrypted data stored in your Identity Safe vault would make the NSA's job any easier than it already seems to be.  The potential target accounts you mention already seem to be readily accessible to government agencies without them having to crack passwords.  I don't think giving up Norton would materially decrease your exposure to potential governmental surveillance.  If you are serious about what you wrote, abandoning the telephone and email (which we already know are broadly monitored) and the internet would seem to make more sense.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Wow,

That seems like a giant step backwards. To do that you almost have to move out into the wilderness and live off the land. Which might also require going to the barter system so that you don't need cash or credit, which might be checked or traced.

Good luck. I'd say 'keep us posted' but if you do drop out that won't be possible.

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


SendOfJive wrote:

naps917 wrote:

The CLOUD system for the Identity Vault just makes it easier (for companies who deals with these kind of services) to just hand them over.  

So what's there to gain?  For starters it can be one or all of the following:

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, various email accounts, bank details, online billing for utilities and phone (which will include telephone numbers of the people you contacted) - basically your whole life and that may include your links to friends and family and of course where you live. 


I'm not sure that the encrypted data stored in your Identity Safe vault would make the NSA's job any easier than it already seems to be.  The potential target accounts you mention already seem to be readily accessible to government agencies without them having to crack passwords.  I don't think giving up Norton would materially decrease your exposure to potential governmental surveillance.  If you are serious about what you wrote, abandoning the telephone and email (which we already know are broadly monitored) and the internet would seem to make more sense.


It would seem to me that Norton is claiming ignorance. If you have the technology to encrypt the passwords in the first place, then it only seems reasonable that you know darn-well how to unencrypt it. Companies like this are in the business of telling us one thing, but doing another. Its their image they’re trying to protect, not their customers. I want to control my own destiny (so to speak). If someone compromises my local vault then I’ll live with the consequences, but at least allow me that choice.

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

If you mistakes with logging  in Local Vault NIS2013, and want to reset your Safe Indentity, you have to go all the way  back through removing/reinstalling NIS2013 and NIS2012. Because NIS2013 does not allow to reset Local Vault parameters.

Norton developers, and sellingmanagers, are drifting away from the customers.

When KIS improves their update-downloadtime they will see what I mean.

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Krusty13 wrote:

I know this is a rusty old bell, but I thought I'd clang it again.

Please return the Local Identity Safe feature in v21.


Agreed! As a user of various Norton/Symantec products since 1997, I normally don't make demands.

However: This is a situation  numerous others feel quite strongly about, thus concur  wholeheartedly with the many comments asking for the return of the local vault. I never upgraded to NIS 2013 because of the change to cloud storage and will continue to use NIS 2012 on my main box until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction. If NIS 2014 rolls out and the local vault access has not been reinstated, I'll move my passwords to LassPass. When that occurs, it will only be a short time before NIS is dumped altogether by me. It would strongly behoove Symantec to read the proverbial writing on the wall before they find themselves in the embarrassing situation of losing customers by the boatload due to such arrogance as was the case a few years ago.

Kudos0

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


scelli wrote:
If NIS 2014 rolls out and the local vault access has not been reinstated, I'll move my passwords to LassPass.

Last Pass is also an online password manager.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


SendOfJive wrote:

scelli wrote:
If NIS 2014 rolls out and the local vault access has not been reinstated, I'll move my passwords to LassPass.

Last Pass is also an online password manager.


I'm aware of that as I mentioned it, albeit misspelling the product name. Or are you saying LastPass does not maintain a local vault? If that's true, then they need to change the FAQ for the program as one of its main attractions to those displeased with the current NIS Identity Safe issue is that supposedly all password data is encrypted and stored at the local level on a user's PC. Or am I not understanding something?

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I don't know if LastPass stores logins locally, but they are definitely stored online.  I tried LastPass quite a long time ago and if I sign in to https://lastpass.com/ my saved passwords are still there.  I don't have LastPass installed on either of my systems now.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Krusty13 wrote:

I don't know if LastPass stores logins locally, but they are definitely stored online.  I tried LastPass quite a long time ago and if I sign in to https://lastpass.com/ my saved passwords are still there.  I don't have LastPass installed on either of my systems now.


Thanks for the reply! If this issue isn't resolved, what do you and the others here plan on using if I may ask? There really isn't any reason for us all to go through this sort of nonsense and I'm not going to be as tolerant of Symantec regarding the issue as I've been throughout the years on some other things.

The bottom line is this and I'll state my piece in plain, everyday parlance which is aimed at the suits and skirts who come up with such grandiose schemes: Bring back the option to have a local vault, so either fix the situation ASAP or lose my business.  

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

So far I still have the Local vault by upgrading over the previous version and Tim Lopez mentioned that the Local version can be maintained by upgrading v21 over v20.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/Please-Return-The-Local-Vault/m-p/980285/highlight/true#M3472

It is a pain in the butt, I know. 

Hopefully this ability will remain when v21 is released, but I, yourself and many others hope that Symantec will have a change of heart and return the option of a Local Vault.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Krusty13 wrote:

So far I still have the Local vault by upgrading over the previous version and Tim Lopez mentioned that the Local version can be maintained by upgrading v21 over v20.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/Please-Return-The-Local-Vault/m-p/980285/highlight/true#M3472

It is a pain in the butt, I know. 

Hopefully this ability will remain when v21 is released, but I, yourself and many others hope that Symantec will have a change of heart and return the option of a Local Vault.


I'm just gong to continue using my NIS 2012 ver 19.9.1.14 until it simply isn't practical to do so any longer as that's the easiest way to maintain the ability to operate the vault locally. I'm truly hoping Symantec is listening to what we consumers are saying about this issue as well as others because that's the only way they'll stay competitive.

Kudos6 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Like everyone else who has posted in this thread, I too want the local vault returned to its former status!!  Otherwise it's certainly time to start looking elsewhere when my renewal is due.  It's one thing having to go back one generation for a fresh install but going back to generations would be ridiculous.

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

The new version (Version 21) not only haven't returned the native support for local vault, but it also removed the "all logins" drop down menu in favor of a new window.  Good for Windows 8 users (I think), but those that hate Windows 8 will also hate this version.

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Dave20 wrote:

The new version (Version 21) not only haven't returned the native support for local vault, but it also removed the "all logins" drop down menu in favor of a new window.  Good for Windows 8 users (I think), but those that hate Windows 8 will also hate this version.


Can you post a screenshot of the information available for pulldown in the new version? it would be nice to see what we are getting into.  O

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Msradell wrote:

Dave20 wrote:

The new version (Version 21) not only haven't returned the native support for local vault, but it also removed the "all logins" drop down menu in favor of a new window.  Good for Windows 8 users (I think), but those that hate Windows 8 will also hate this version.


Can you post a screenshot of the information available for pulldown in the new version? it would be nice to see what we are getting into.  O


Sorry.  I've already switched back to 2013.  Maybe someone else will.  Or check out http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/bd-p/Toolbar_IDSafe

Kudos0

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

I love Win 8 but hate the new identity safe toolbar as I used to use the all logins list to visit several sites which I haven't bookmarked.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos6 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Please kill the online vault with fire! I hate it!  Shame on you norton for forcing this garbage on your customers!

For the first time in many years I won't be buying any new Norton products.

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Another related issue.  Everytime you log into Identity Safe (even using it locally) i still have to click through the same question about staying local or moving vault to cloud.  People have made their choice why ask them every time you log in, one day i will accidentally click the wrong button and local will disappear.  Why do Norton make it so hard to keep your details local and not in their 'cloud' ?

Remove the question 'pop up' from the login process.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


winterdown wrote:

Another related issue.  Everytime you log into Identity Safe (even using it locally) i still have to click through the same question about staying local or moving vault to cloud.  People have made their choice why ask them every time you log in, one day i will accidentally click the wrong button and local will disappear.  Why do Norton make it so hard to keep your details local and not in their 'cloud' ?

Remove the question 'pop up' from the login process.


This should be fixed in an up coming patch.

I just click the X (top right corner) to close the window and don't worry about choosing local vs online.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos8 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Norton really needs to start listening to their customers again!  People keep asking to have the local vault back and keep getting ignored.  The functionality of it remains so why not just give us the option of creating one again?

Also the new format of the vault when we open it is much worse than the old one.   The old one was much easier to navigate for everyone.   And don't even get me started about having tags instead of folders, whoever dreamed up that change should go to work for someone else because their talents certainly aren't needed by Norton.  N

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault


Msradell wrote:

Norton really needs to start listening to their customers again!  People keep asking to have the local vault back and keep getting ignored.  The functionality of it remains so why not just give us the option of creating one again?

Also the new format of the vault when we open it is much worse than the old one.   The old one was much easier to navigate for everyone.   And don't even get me started about having tags instead of folders, whoever dreamed up that change should go to work for someone else because their talents certainly aren't needed by Norton.  N


Completely agree!

Listen up Norton, I've been using your products for at least 15 years but this is something that will make me look to other companies.

Kudos5 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

This is INSANE. Each and every time I open my beloved LOCAL VAULT my Norton 360 asks me if I do not want to move to the online vault. This is as annoying as the worst pop-up ads we see in some sites! And Symantec forces us to read (and click) this each and every time we open our local vault! It seems Symantec Product Managers do not like to listen to users. They created the online vault, removed the option of having the local vault in a "clear installation", forced us to adopt some "tricks" to have it back (installing an old version + upgrading) and, not satisfied, now we have to deal with this annoying advertisement of their "great" online vault, where we can "trust them" to keep all our passwords on their servers... great, no? NO. I beg Symantec to bring local vault (and the right to choose) to its users or I'm going to give up on being one of them. This problem has aroused some time ago, many users provided Symantec with negative feedback about this (forcing us to land Symantec our passwords) and it seems not to work. PS: I've been a Norton user since its first versions, but I WILL NOT compromise my privacy landing my passwords to Symantec. If this comes out being the only choice, my choice will be not using Symantec products anymore.

Kudos0

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

The pop up for the cloud vault will be addressed in a future update. Norton is aware of this.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos6 Stats

Re: Please Return The Local Vault

Yes please return to the local fault as I have no desire or need to store my data "in the cloud" make it an option if you want. Oh and please get rid of the slow and unsorted Tags system too or at least make 'Tags or Folders' view. another option.