• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

port 55135

Seems for the first time ever, my DSL box has allowed connection from DSL box to computer via port 55135

message says

port blocking allowed 192.168.xx.xx (55135)

I have done a search and cannot find anything on 55135 and find nothing.

Anyone know what this might mean?

As my Norton is the inbound firewall, I post this question here

Replies

Kudos0

Re: port 55135

Seems for the first time ever, my DSL box has allowed connection from DSL box to computer via port 55135

message says

port blocking allowed 192.168.xx.xx (55135)

I have done a search and cannot find anything on 55135 and find nothing.

Anyone know what this might mean?

As my Norton is the inbound firewall, I post this question here

Kudos0

Hi there,

this may be a running VoIP connection, as port range 55123 to 55135 (udp) is used for that.

best regards,

elko

Kudos0

thanks

what is a VoIP connection? And why would that just start now?

Kudos0

Do you have any kind of phone system connecting through the internet?  Skype, for instance or Vonage.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

No we don't have any online phone services

Could it just have been a "misdial" or maybe just some simple error?

Kudos0

Voip=voice over internet protocol (at least that's what i think the P stands for )

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

ot likely to be a method of system attacks eh?

Kudos0

Unsure as nearly everything can be used as  a form of attack with computers....MSN can use Voip as well.

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

does this sound alarming? The "address" that shows this being allowed through is my DSL box (not router)

Kudos1 Stats

This link would suggest that because this particular mode of communication on this particular port is tied into online gaming and is only responded to by the actual application that uses it, that a UDP call might be allowed by a DSL box through the firewall, but without the application to answer it, the packets are dropped.

http://www.hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-925383.html

You also do not have a hard two-way firewall.  It is not going to react the same way as the full Norton version that you get by updating to NIS or  updating NAV and installing a free firewall like Comodo.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.