• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Possible v22.15.0.88 Bug - Update Wipes Norton Firewall Program Rules

I don't know if this is a bug or designed behaviour on Symantec's part, but my Norton Security Premium was updated to v22.15.0.88 on 11-Aug-2018 via Automatic LiveUpdate and all the program rules in my Norton Smart Firewall at Settings | Firewall | Program Control were deleted after the update (i.e., as if I had deliberately reset my firewall at Settings | Firewall | General Settings | Smart Firewall | Firewall Reset | Reset).

Since yesterday's update new program rules are being automatically re-created the first time an executable tries to access the firewall.  That's fine, except that programs rules I had previously customized [e.g., changing the access for ccleaner.exe from Allow (the default) to Block to prevent outgoing/incoming connections with the Avast/Piriform servers] are set back to their default access settings when the program rule is re-created.

I don't know if it's relevant but I have a 32-bit OS.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88

Labels: Firewall

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Possible v22.15.0.88 Bug - Update Wipes Norton Firewall Program Rules

Hello lmarcri

I have Norton updates do that many times over the years when they do some updates to new versions. They reset the Smart Firewall and put the rules back to default and perhaps make changes in the rules. I guess you need to take screenshots of your custom rules so that you will know what to change to the way you want it. You will find that this happens with other settings also. They may put them to defaults and sometimes the defaults have changes. Some settings remain the same now, but some still change. There have been complaints before about changing custom rules, but they haven't made any changes despite customer complaints.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Having the same and it was before some times. It's good for me that I don't have modified rules there, but anyway it's not a good idea. Also I noticed that such a big updates delete information about the date when Norton do a full scan...
Kudos2 Stats

floplot:

I have Norton updates do that many times over the years when they do some updates to new versions. They reset the Smart Firewall and put the rules back to default and perhaps make changes in the rules. I guess you need to take screenshots of your custom rules so that you will know what to change to the way you want it...

Symantec employees:

Version 22.5.0.88 was released as a "minor" update, not a major upgrade, and just because these update problems happen all the time doesn't make it acceptable.  Symantec needs to follow basic best-practice standards for managing their software updates / upgrades and adapt better quality control procedures to ensure custom configuration settings aren't being wiped every time there's an update released.  Rigorous in-house beta-testing would be a good place to start, and from what I can see at https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton_EAP a v22.5.0 release candidate wasn't even posted for a public beta test before it went into wide release.

Norton v22.0.x was released back in September 2014, and in spite of all the features changes over the past four years we're still waiting for a v23.x release.  For me, that means years of buggy updates, lost configuration settings and clean re-installs to fix corrupted installations.  I don't even have a way of stopping (or even delaying) these point updates because enabling Settings | Administrative Settings | Automatic Download of New Version will only allow me to control the download of a major upgrade (e.g., from v22.x to v23.x).

Don't worry, folks - that thump, thump, thump you hear is just me banging my head against the wall.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88

Kudos1 Stats

Vitalik93:
Having the same and it was before some times. It's good for me that I don't have modified rules there, but anyway it's not a good idea. Also I noticed that such a big updates delete information about the date when Norton do a full scan...

Hi Vitalik93:

Thanks for confirming that v22.x updates can wipe your Norton Smart Firewall programs rules.

I first noticed that same glitch with my Full System Scans in late 2016 around the time v22.7.1 was released.  I have a monthly Full System Scan scheduled for the 1st day of every month but every time I receive a Norton v22.x product update it wipes the Last Run date and Duration of my last scan at Settings | Administrative Settings | Background Tasks | Configure.

Even worse, I find that my scheduled Full System Scans usually stop running after a v22.x product update, and I often have to go to Settings | Antivirus | Scans and Risks | Computer Scans | Full System Scan | Configure and edit the scan schedule (e.g., change the schedule from the 1st day of the month to the 5th day of the month) to get the scans working again.

I reported that Full System Scan bug to Symantec employee Gayathri_R in mgirons' August 2016 thread Norton Insight Fails to Run but never received a response.
-----------

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.