• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

problem with Firefox 36.01 update

Hi all,

This morning i updated from Firefox 36 to 36.01.

During the update a "File Insight" message from Norton popped up .

I never noted the exact words but it said that

Auto Protect is processing a security risk -

Then said it had quarantined "program files\Mozilla Firefox\Updated\Xul.dll" because it was infected with "Suspicious.Cloud.9.B"

I tried to start Firefox but it showed a message that the run file was missing.

I restored the Xul.dll from quarantine to the Mozilla folder and did a Mawarebytes scan. that was ok.

Tried Firefox again and it started and seems to be working ok so far

Is this a false positive?

Has anyone else experienced it?

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Norton 360 21.6.0.32  - Windows xp sp3

Replies

Kudos0

Re: problem with Firefox 36.01 update

Hello

You are the first one that has reported it that I have seen. We don't have too many people that are still using xp. Perhaps it had something to do with xp. Where did you get the update from?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi floplot,

Thanks for the reply

Got update in the usual way.

I read there was an update available so clicked on "help" in firefox menu bar - then "about firefox" and it updated itself.

Never had a problem before. All seems to be working ok at the moment.

Scans with N360, Superantispyware and malwarebytes have found nothing untoward.

Just have to see how it goes I suppose.

Kudos0

Hello

Here is the write up for that malware that it found.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2013-091708-4759-99 I would recommend that you send that file to Virus Total and see what they report about the file..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks floplot.

Virus Total reported that the file is harmless (probably)

Seems it may have been a false positive

Kudos0

I had exactly the same problem that pixma had.

An inexperienced user might not realise that Norton had caused Firefox to stop working after its update, because the Norton message about 'Suspicious.Cloud.9' appears on the screen for a while, then disappears, and the Firefox update can complete as normal.

It is only by going into the Norton 360 Security log that you can see that Norton has removed a Firefox dll.

So there could be more people out there with Firefox problems, but who don't know why!

Kudos0

Hello Peter

Are you using XP also? When the file is in Quarantine, there is a more options link to click on and then options to click on. That should submit the file to Symantec to analyze it again. That should be able to get Symantec to change the definitions so that it isn't flagged again.

Please come back and let us know if you were able to submit the file to Symantec. Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello floplot,

Yes, I am using Windows XP, SP3, with all the latest updates. I am using Norton 360 version 21.6.0.32.

I did submit the file to Symantec on 6 March 2015, and also again just now - just in case!

Attached screenshots from Norton 360 regarding the threat it detected.

The message when trying to start Firefox after this has happened is "Firefox" "Could not find the Mozilla runtime."

Peter

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello Peter2050,
Curious, R U running a branded version of Firefox.  e.g:  Yahoo! optimized Firefox.  Do you have Toolbars besides Norton

Kudos0

Hi Peter,

The screenshot you posted is exactly what I got,

It will be interesting to see what Symantec have to say about the file you submitted.

Kudos0

Hi bjm_, It is plain-vanilla Firefox. I don't have any special toolbars, actually I don't even have Norton Toolbar enabled. Please let me know if you want me to double-check which toolbars I have - I am not using Firefox for the moment.

Pixma,

I have a fully-licenced version of Norton 360, but I haven't registered my email address to it, so Symantec will have to reply here, I think.

Peter

Kudos0

Peter2050,
Thanks.. ..  I was reaching for something that may have been associated with FF update.

Kudos2 Stats

Peter2050:

Yes, I am using Windows XP, SP3, with all the latest updates. I am using Norton 360 version 21.6.0.32.

Hi Peter2050:

I'm aware of a previous report where N360 quarantined xul.dll, but that was for a beta version of Firefox 36 - see RustyHightower's thread N360 quarantined xul.dll (Firefox 36.0a1).

I can't say for certain why xul.dll was quarantined for some XP users when they upgraded to FF 36.0.1, but the screenshot in your PDF <here> shows that this was a heuristic (behaviour-based) detection.  Norton's latest list of Virus Definitions and Security Updates indicates that the definitions for N360's behaviour-based protection haven't been updated since 25-Feb-2015.  If xul.dll (a library for Mozilla Runtime) behaves slightly differently on 32-bit XP computers it's always possible that it was quarantined for "suspicious" behaviour while Symantec compiles information on the reputation of the file from other XP users in the wider Norton community via Norton Community Watch.

If anyone having this problem is worried about restoring xul.dll from quarantine they can try performing a clean reinstall of Firefox as instructed in the support article Firefox Keeps Crashing at Startup just in case xul.dll was corrupted during their update to FF v. 36.0.1.  As noted in that article, uninstalling Firefox and deleting the Firefox installation folder should not delete your bookmarks, saved passwords, add-ons or other personal information since this information is stored separately in your Firefox Profile folder.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 36.0.1 * NIS 2014 v. 21.6.0.32 * MBAM Premium 2.0.4
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

lmacri, thanks. The clean re-install of Firefox worked fine.

Kudos0

I ran into the same problem when upgrading to Firefox 36.0.3 (xul.dll "quarantined" due to Suspicious.Cloud.9.B) and Firefox would no longer open. I have uninstalled Firefox and will try a clean re-install as was mentioned in a previous post.

Windows XP SP3 with all patches; NIS version 21.7.0.11 (just installed via LiveUpdate)

Kudos0

Hello notbig

The 7.0.11 patch was just released this week on Tues. night. It is being released in a phased in manner to see if there are any problems with the patch. Can you submit that .dll to Symantec for a re-evaluation as a false positive? This way they can correct their definitions so that it doesn't do that.

To report a false positive, please use this link

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi, floplot -

I guess some clarification is in order.  After looking through Security History and other items, it seems that my NIS engine was not updated to 21.7.0.11 until after the Suspicious.Cloud.9.B risk had been "processed" (under previous version of NIS). In light of this, it may be inappropriate to submit a false positive for 7.0.11, but I can if you think it necessary. I also see that a couple of Statistical submissions to Norton Community Watch have been made.

I should also add that deleting and re-installing Firefox 36.0.3 (after the 7.0.11 update) was successful and without incident. In fact, I'm using Firefox 36.0.3 this very minute, so all seems to be well and there have been no further "alarms" regarding the suspect file (xul.dll).

Kudos0

FF 34.0.4 is out now.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hello notbig

See how you do with FF 36.0.4.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

FF 34.0.4 36.0.4 is out now.  Oops!

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi All,

Just updated to FF 36.0.4 and had exactly the same problem as the original post with the .dll file.

FF would not start due to the file missing.

I opened N360 security history and restored it from quarantine to the Mozilla programme files folder and FF starts again now.

When I restored it from quarantine I ticked the option to exclude that file from further scans for the time being.

Kudos0

I have this same problem on XP SP3 with all updates. Does Symantec confirm that this IS A FALSE POSETIVE?
Kudos0

jdorocak:
I have this same problem on XP SP3 with all updates. Does Symantec confirm that this IS A FALSE POSITIVE?

How to report false positives 

Kudos0

floplot (and everyone else) -

I just successfully updated Firefox to 36.0.4 without any warnings about Suspicious.Cloud.9.B and no quarantined files (xul.dll).  I did, however, get a warning that "updater.exe has no available reputation information."  This disappeared after a few seconds and the update continued.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently this time was to close Firefox while the "background" update service downloaded the necessary files, etc.  I don't know if this made a difference or not, but thought I would mention it.  When I restarted (reopened) Firefox, the update was applied without issue and seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

seems to be a norton,firefox and xp thing.  auto-protect blocked my internal ff 04 update on my xp-nis2014 machine. restored file from Qu and firefox works again.  updated ff 04 on win7-nis2014-no problems.  updated ff 04 on xp-avast free-no problems.  thanks

Kudos0

Hello notbig

Thanks for your update. Perhaps it will help others..

Kudos0

Hi folks,

New member here, just signed up to say that I just encountered this problem on an XP machine running Norton Internet Security, while updating to Firefox 36.0.4. NIS quarantined the xul.dll file and not surprisingly after restarting Ffx I got an error message. I just restored the file from quarantine (to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\xul.dll). Firefox is now running fine.

A case of a false positive from heuristic detection methods, by the looks of it. First time it's ever happened to me I think, in eight years using NIS.

As another contributor pointed out, this is likely to be a problem for many users. Re-installing Firefox would presumably not be an option, since the package will contain the same dll.

Regards

Kudos0

Hello jo

This seems to be a problem with xp, nis,and updating fire fox. I am going to bring this up to Norton and see if there is anything they can do about this. Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi floplot

N360 21.7.0.11 too

Kudos0

Hi all, my first post out here. I too have a Win XP Pro SP3 machine with N360. Was updating FF to 36.0.4 this morning and N360 quarantined the xul.dll file. I restored it and FF opened again. So the problem is still there as of now. Just an FYI, I had closed my FF session and then ran the FF update from the FF update window. While it was running a N360 bubble popped up and said updater.exe was safe, as it usually does. Then a couple of minutes later, after the FF install was complete and I clicked to restart FF, N360 bubbled up with the 'Auto Protect is processing security risk Suspicious.cloud.9.B'. Hope this helps and they get a fix out.

Kudos0

I reported a false-positive dispute to Symantec as suggested by bjm_: Name of the software being detected: firefox 36.01 Name of detection given by Symantec product: Suspicious.Cloud.9.B ... I am running with: - Windows XP SP3 - Norton Security Suite Others have reported this with XP SP3 with other Norton Products at: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6288791comment-6288791 Your submission has been sent Mon Mar 23 09:10:21 PDT 2015. To make another submission, click here. I hope we hear from Symantec on this subject. Thanks for the help. Love and peace, Joe
Kudos0

Hello All

I heard back from my inquiry to Norton that I made on Sunday night. They are looking into the situation now. I will let you know if I hear anything further unless some one from Norton posts here first. Any problem that NIS has with this, N360 would have the same problem  I mentioned that this happens with every update now, so what ever fix they come up with would have to last. Thanks

Kudos0

Thanks for contacting Norton. I hope they respond better to you than they did to me. :) I sent them a false-postiive report as i said I would here [https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6290401#comment-6290401] I included the link to the FireFox download. Here is their DISAPPOINTING reply to me. Remember this is for FireFox, not some unknown software. In relation to submission [3752804]. Thank you for contacting Symantec. Having reviewed the information provided we are unable to reproduce or confirm the issue described. Please ensure that you are using Symantec's latest virus definitions for detection. These can be found using live update or alternatively via the URL below. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html If the issue persists with the latest definitions, kindly send us the file getting detected for further processing. Without the software we are unable to further investigate this issue. Due to not being able to retrieve the software in question, we ask that you do one of the following: - Provide a specific URL to download the software in question - Submit the file to us via the link below and reply with the tracking number: https://submit.symantec.com/retail/ Please note that the submission form above will not accept files larger than 20MB in size. If the file in question is somewhat larger than 20MB in size, please use a file compression software (e.g., 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRAR) to compress and split the file into multiple smaller files and submit them via the link above and reply with all the tracking numbers. Sincerely, Symantec Security Response http://securityresponse.symantec.com
Kudos1 Stats

jdorocak:
I reported a false-positive dispute to Symantec as suggested by bjm_: Name of the software being detected: firefox 36.01 Name of detection given by Symantec product: Suspicious.Cloud.9.B ...

Hi jdorocak:

Since you reported that the name of the software being detected is Firefox and gave them the download link for the installation file, they are likely assuming that the file being quarantined on your system is the Firefox Setup 36.0.4.exe installer.  You will need to submit the quarantined xul.dll file for analysis before they can confirm this file is safe and release an updated whitelist via Automatic LiveUpdate.

When you submit your false positive report, you will have to restore the quarantined xul.dll file as instructed <here> (choose the option to Restore & Exclude this File if you believe that xul.dll is safe and you want Norton to stop detecting xul.dll in future scans) and then submit this file as instructed at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/.  Since xul.dll is ~ 35 MB (i.e., larger than the max 20 MB upload size), it will have to be compressed first and saved as a .zip file using file compression software such as WinZip or WinRAR before it can be uploaded for analysis.

Kudos0

Hello jo and imacri

It isn't really a false positive.  A false positive would affect everyone when they update their Firefox. I believe this is happening mainly to all users who are using XP and Firefox.  At first it was happening to everyone who was updating to the little updates  being that they are still on 36. I think it's only now with the xp users since they got to 0.3 and then quickly to 0.4.

Kudos0

As others on this forum have stated, we were also having the same problem on two of our computers.

Try to open Firefox and get a message, "Could Not Find Mozilla Runtime" -  We cannot afford two new computers, so we are limping along with both of them still on XP SP3 and found we could access pages that would not run on an un-update-able IE by using Firefox.  And, we've used Norton for so long I can't remember when we started.  Both programs are set to update themselves when needed.  Then, last night, neither of us could get online with FF!

I've been searching all night and day to figure out how to make our computer's run again.  Then this afternoon, I read about restoring the XUL.dll file, here, (which is very obvious to me that Norton put in quarantine on both my computers yesterday due to the "Suspicious.Cloud.9.B" false positive confusion.)  So, I just did it, I also clicked on the option to not scan this file again... and it worked instantly.  I don't know for sure if I am allowing a virus into my computer, or if it's just something Norton messed up, again (something like this happened several years ago and it cost me $100 to get it fixed.)

Reading that Norton has a Fix, but is "phasing" it in too be sure it works, as well as, not making the new all-in-one Security program available by pro-rating the price of as a free upgrade to people who had to renew their Norton program within 30 days before the release date - is showing me Norton has bad customer service.  It's acutally annoying enough that I'm planning on getting a different security program when it's time to renew again this Fall!

It took all day for me to figure out this was a Norton-caused problem in both of my compters.  Unfortunately, we have allowed computers to become way too essential in our daily life...  for instance, paying bills; and, for us to be unable to go online with FF (where all logins and passwords are safe in the Norton Vault) caused my husband and I extreme anxiety and panic... and, hopefully no late fees.)

So, if there is a bloody Fix available for this mess you all made... you need to get it out to your paying customers!

I am not a geek, this stuff doesn't come natural to me and I no longer have a Computer Guru to get help from.  It was an accident I found this forum and learned this has been a Norton problem all along.

Good luck to all those Norton Customers like us who are stuck running XP still!

I'll be monitoring this thread and hope to read the Fix is released, and if anyone ends up having a new problem with the "virus" Norton claims is in the XUL.dll file some of us "recovered" from quarantine.

Thanks to those of you who wrote about this issue!

JursyGurl!

Kudos0

Hello JursyGurl

Reading that Norton has a Fix, but is "phasing" it in too be sure it works, as well as, not making the new all-in-one Security program available by pro-rating the price of as a free upgrade to people who had to renew their Norton program within 30 days before the release date - is showing me Norton has bad customer service.  It's acutally annoying enough that I'm planning on getting a different security program when it's time to renew again this Fall!

What was being phased in was a new patch for the NAV,NIS,N360 programs. That was the 21.7.0.11 patch. This patch is now being given out to just about every one by clicking on live update. That patch though didn't fix the .dll problem for the xp users with FF when moving up from 36.0.up through each of the smaller updates. I realized that there was a problem with Firefox 36 and up for the xp users. I reported this to Norton last night and they are looking into this problem now. It's not really a false positive because then every one would get that happening to them. This seems to be only happening to xp users unfortunately.

As soon as I hear of a fix for this, I will be making an announcement about it or a Norton Employee may.

Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup are the 2 new programs that came out near the end of last Sept. It was not a free upgrade. It is considered as a new product and not as a upgrade to NAV,NIS, N360.  Any one can buy the product and install it and then they can get any left over days from their 2014 products added on to the 366 days subscription. Those people who had to renew their All those users had to do was to make a chat with customer service to get the extra days added on. If those people who had to get a renewal on their NIS and used up lets say 25 days, they got 341 days added on to their subs. No one lost anything if they did that chat.

Kudos1 Stats

floplot:

Hello jo and imacri

It isn't really a false positive.  A false positive would affect everyone when they update their Firefox.

Hi floplot:

From the introduction to Report a Suspected Erroneous Detection (False Positive):

"Use this 'wizard' to tell us about a situation where you believe that a Symantec or Norton product is incorrectly reporting a clean / good file or website as being a threat or malicious in some way. This is sometimes called a False Positive."

From the Technical Details tab for Suspicious.Cloud.9.B (from Symantec's A - Z Listing of Threats & Risks):

"What to do in case of suspected erroneous detection (false positive).  In rare cases where a legitimate file is misidentified and subsequently quarantined, your computer may behave abnormally or you may find that one or more applications no longer function as expected. In such rare situations, you should open the Quarantine in your Symantec antivirus product and review the list of files detected as suspicious. If you identify a potential misidentification, restore the file from Quarantine and allow it to run normally in order to regain the functionality of your computer or application.

Suspected false-positive detections can be reported to Symantec using our false-positive detection reporting page to contribute to the effectiveness of our product."

A file does not have to be quarantined on every OS by every user to meet the definition of a false positive.  The Mozilla Runtime xul.dll dynamic link library is being quarantined because of the way it behaves on 32-bit XP operating systems, not because the SHA hash (digital fingerprint) of the file was found in Norton's virus definition database. I would still suggest that users submit the xul.dll file to https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/ so Symantec can analyze the file and determine if it should be whitelisted.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 36.0.4 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.4
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Hello

I have reported the problem to Symantec, so they are already looking into the issue. They are looking into the issue so that it doesn't happen after every little update to Firefox as has been happening, to eliminate that file from getting quarantined from all xp users of Firefox. If the users just send in the .dll file that is causing the problem, it will pop up every time another update occurs. Also to make sure it doesn't start affecting the rest of the users of Firefox again also. I've requested a fix so hopefully it stays fixed even when it goes up to 37 and above within the limits of support for the number of different FF's.

If they want to submit the .dll, they can if it's done properly.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for the inconvenience.

This issue has been reported to the concerned team as a high priority since it deals with prevalent software like Firefox and they are currently investigating all the submitted xul.dll.

I'll update this thread when I have more information.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hello Mohan

Thank you for the high priority investigation and also for posting here.

Kudos0

Does Norton have any idea when this problem will be resolved for those of us using Windows XP. This is a very annoying issue and I would think that Norton should ethically move on this quickly and just as quickly issue a fast, rapid response to all who continue to suffer with this issue; doesn't Norton have a large, well educated, well trained IT staff, or is it just one person warehoused in a motel room in some far flung edge of the galaxy.

Kudos0

Hello all

I have just enquired for another update for the xul.dll problem with Firefox 36 and the xp users. I have also asked them if there will be any difficulties with Firefox 37 which I think probably will come out soon.

Kudos0

Hello All

Here is the latest KB which will tell you how to submit the false positive files. It will tell you also what to do if you feel the file is safe so that it doesn't get deleted by Norton product. It's best for you to read it for yourself, but if you have any questions, just ask away.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100222230832EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Kudos0

I updated to Firefox 36.04 yesterday without any problems. I ran a LiveUpdate in Norton 360 first. I used the update facility in Firefox under Help->About Firefox.

So I did have the problem described in this thread when updating to the earlier version of Firefox (36.01, I think), but not from Firefox 36.01 to 36.04.

Kudos0

Hello Peter

That's good to hear. Perhaps they have fixed the problem with that xul.dll for xp users. Let's hope it will continue on when I think FF 37 will be coming out shortly. Thanks for the update. If I hear some more confirmations from the others, then I know it was fixed. Since it's the weekend, I haven't heard anything from Symantec yet.

Kudos0

floplot:

Let's hope it will continue on when I think FF 37 will be coming out shortly.

The official release date for FF37 is this coming Tuesday on 31-Mar-2015.  The Future Branch Dates section of Mozilla's RapidRelease Calendar at https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar lists all expected release dates for FF37 through FF43 for the rest of 2015.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 36.0.4 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.4

Kudos0

Hello Imacri

Thank you. I saw that when I did a Google search even though I don't use FF. I saw they moved up the schedule by a week because of the holidays. I'm still hoping though that the possible fix will work when FF 37 comes out. I know that a new toolbar will come out also, hopefully that will work for everyone ok who needs it to work.

Kudos0

Hello Floplot,

Thanks so much for staying on top of this -- it is very appreciated. Just wondering if your contact/s at Norton have acknowledged that they have put in place a fix for this and if not what is the delay for.

Thank you again,

MRIE- SF

Kudos0

Hello MRIE- SF

A patch came out today for Firefox 37 today. It is a 3 in 1 patch. It contains the FF 37 and 2 vault problems. Please check to see if you got the patch. If you haven't got it yet, then please run live update until you do get it.  It is called browser toolbar add-on. I think you have to reboot after getting the patch. After you get the patch, then please download and install Firefox 37 and let me know if it works ok. Thanks.

Kudos0

Dear Floplot,

Thanks for the info. I was able to update to version 37 -- per your suggestion I had already excluded the xul.dll file from any and all scans. I assume the update might have already corrected this as I don't see any more complaints from XP users.

Again, I want to thank you for your assistance and vigilance with this.

Best regards,

MRIE- SF

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.