• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Problems with a new Canon Color imageClass MF628Cw printer.

I recently purchased a new Canon Color imageClass MF628Cw printer. The printer is installed through a network router but directly wired to my computer.  I installed the drivers and told my Norton 360 which ports the printer would be using.  All capabilities (print scan fax) originally worked fine for a short time but soon thereafter the printer and computer stopped recognising each other.  I have reinstalled the print drivers and it works fine to start and then stop working after a day or 2 (i.e. after I power down the computer and/or the printer). There is nothing mechanically wrong with the printer so I believe it has something to do with the Norton firewall or my Norton 360 in general.  FYI - I run Windows 7.  Any help appreciated... 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problems with a new Canon Color imageClass MF628Cw printer.

I'd suggest resetting the firewall and let Norton automatically configure the firewall settings.  That's why it's called Norton Smart Firewall.

If that doesn't solve the problem then post back and we'll try again.

Thanks.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Nope.  I reset the firewall but the problem remains.

Kudos1 Stats

If you have the printer connected to the computer directly AND by the network, there could be some conflict between the two methods. Choose one or the other and see if that helps. 
If the printer is used by other computers on the network, just unplug the direct connection to your computer and use the network connection.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello

Do you have the latest drivers according to the Canon website for your model of printer.? If you want all the computers to be able to use the printer  also, then install the printer software onto all the computers. Make sure the network is set up correctly so that all the computers can use the printer.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Printer still not working.  To be clear the computer is ONLY connected to the printer through the network connection, so there is no "double" connection.  I have reinstalled the newest driver three times: once for the initial installation and twice thereafter when the printer stopped working.  Re-installation of the drivers only seems to hold while I leave the printer and computer running.  As soon as I shut them down and start up again the printer connection isn't there. I can install the drivers (printer and scanner) again but I suspect it will likely quit working again, so I have eliminated (presumably) any issue with the drivers.   

Kudos0

Hello

"The printer is installed through a network router but directly wired to my computer." So this is a wireless printer and not wired to your computer? I was going to suggest to try a different wire. If it is USB, try a different USB port and make sure it is the proper kind of USB.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

After further investigation I temporarily disabled the firewall and auto-protect to determined that Norton 360 is NOT the problem.  I appreciate all the suggestions forwarded but now looking it another direction for the true culprit.  Thanks much. 

Kudos0

Not sure if this is any help. When I installed an HP network printer, the instructions were very clear that you had to start the software install before connecting the device. I also used a direct USB connection to configure the printer and then disconnected the USB and used the network.

I also set a fixed IP address for the printer and reserved that IP in my router.

Have you tried the support forums for your Canon printer?

Please let us know what you find.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.