• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Question - NIS 2010 - Application Ratings.

Hi:

How come that my percent of Trusted Files is decreasing a bit, if I did not load any new software or perform a full system scan?

Decline is 1-3% over 2 days.

TIA

Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Question - NIS 2010 - Application Ratings.

Hi:

How come that my percent of Trusted Files is decreasing a bit, if I did not load any new software or perform a full system scan?

Decline is 1-3% over 2 days.

TIA

Kudos0

Hi Plankton

It could be due to routine things like windows updates or some other update that goes on in the background. There were a ton of windows updates this past week.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

The Trust level can change at the database level also.

"

A Norton Internet Security scan can identify threats on your computer in the following ways:

The Blacklist technique

At regular intervals, Norton Internet Security obtains definition updates from Symantec. These updates contain signatures of known threats. Each time when Norton Internet Security obtains the definition updates, it performs a scan of all of the files that are available on your computer. It compares the signature of the files against the known threat signatures to identify threats on your computer.

The Whitelist technique

Norton Internet Security obtains specific information about the Files of Interest and submits the information to Symantec during idle time. The information includes such things as file name, file size, and hash key. Symantec analyzes the information of each File of Interest and its unique hash value and provides a confidence level to the file. The Symantec server stores the hash value and confidence level details of the Files of Interest. The server provides the details immediately after you open the Norton Insight - Application Ratings window. Even the slightest modification of the file causes a change in the hash value and the confidence level of the file. Typically, most Files of Interest belong to the operating system or known applications, and they never change. These files do not require repeated scanning or monitoring. For example, Excel.exe is a file that never changes but you always scan it during a normal security scan.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Good, thanks!

Do you have the link to this information?

Message Edited by Plankton on 10-18-2009 02:25 PM
Kudos0

Yes.  It's in the Help file for NIS2010 under the Index > Norton Insight > about.  Also, you may want to read the following blog:

Norton Insight: A solution to performance improvement without sacrificing security 

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.