• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Re: [Vista] and N360 Firewall

Hi,

This thread has been very useful - thanks - but still leaves a question unanswered for me..

I have Vista firewall turned off, N360 installed with the firewall enabled, and I was surprised to find that on my home wireless network I could access my files from another computer. I tried to turn off file sharing in the Microsoft Network Center, but couldn't. I understand that protecting my files is the responsibility of N360, but the concern is that the files were visible in a which which I didn't expect, and I don't know how to hide them without turning on the Vista firewall as well as the N360 firewall.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

[edit: Originally posted at the end of this NIS thread, relocated and retitled.]

Arundel62

Message Edited by Allen_K on 07-29-2008 10:06 AM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Re: [Vista] and N360 Firewall

Hi,

The sharing is controlled by the N360 firewall and it will allow sharing on the connected networks at the time of install.  These files will only be visible/shared on your home network, and not from the internet.  Since you do have shares available, the assumption is that you will want your other computers on the home network to access the shares.  If this behavior is not desired, you can set the network trust level back to "Protected".  (You can do this via the Trust Control area in the options)

You should not have both firewalls enabled.  This will have a conflict in policies.

Thanks,

/Chester 

Kudos0

That's spot on.  Thank you for your help!

arundel62.

Kudos0

What I find interesting is that out of the box Norton 360 does not, in my experience, allow home network. Usually users are asking how to enable rather than disable the network, because they cannot see or share files on PC's connected in a home environement, albeit that they are on common workgroup.

I am not sure what ChesterK is referring to when he says "at the time of install". I am not aware of any questions during install concerning activitating networks. By default the Netwowrk Locations tab in Firewall is set as protected. I wonder why yours was not.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.