• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Real trouble with my Norton 360 restore

I'll try to be as brief as I can. My computer wouldn't boot - all we got was a BOOTMGR IS MISSING - PRESS CONTROL +ALT+DELETE to boot your computer. This of course just led to a cycle of pressing c+a+d without any response but a suggestion to do it again one million times, etc. Eventually we had to call Dell and pay the $49.00 fee for tech support - which although the man was congenial at best, he could do nothing to solve the problem and promised to have a supervisor call us the next day. The supervisor never called. In any case - we went ahead on our own computer semi-illiterate way and reinstalled the Vista operating system from the disk that came with the computer. This took 14 hours. Nest we called Norton - who have given us the very best of everything so far. What a wonderful company and product according to my estimation. Well the Norton rep(s) and supervisors labored to help us. they gave us the free upgrade to 360 3.0 and everybody's data was efficiently reinstalled - except mine. I am the main user for this computer and my favorites list has business files that go back to 1999. Norton made every attempt to get my data back for me but said that there was some conflict which disalllowed the transfer. All my files are there and I even saw them on a page the rep took us to when he had control of the screen. The end result was that in one week, by next monday, I will have my files back as they were. I must admit I am extremely unsatisfied with this. I try to understand that things (particularly with computers) go on the wonky side sometimes. But a week to retrieve my existing files and send them to me actually has me considering another backup provider?!?! Who knows. Does anyone have anything they can or would like to add to my dillemma? This is my first post so I am a real neww newbie. Beside this catastrophe in the making (will I ever see my treasured files again ?) Norton has been the best product and support setup of all that we have used. Thanks for listening - M

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Real trouble with my Norton 360 restore

rudy792,

Once in a while things do, as you say, go wrong in computing. The Norton branded Online Backup products are a tad more complex than your average online storage which is why it can take some time to provide service when necessary. Your online backup data is broken into small blocks which are individually encrypted (using a key which is stored at a separate facility from the data) and compressed into big archives. In order to retrieve it for you we have to essentially do that process in the reverse which can take a non trivial amount of time. I would say that the fact that it takes an engineer a week to reconstruct your data speaks to the level of security provided by our online backup service ;-)

If there are specific files you need with more urgency we can generally accommodate. I'd be happy to work with you off the forums to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. If you'd like, feel free to send me a PM or an email note and I will get back to you right away.

~scott 

Kudos0

Thanks for the response Scott. Any attention from Norton is highly appreciated. I'm just worried that I'll never see my very important data again. It sure makes one antsy - but thanks again and thanks for the explanation which promotes much more understanding to me regarding what's going on.
Kudos0

Thank You very much S. I got all my stuff back. You didn't do this because you were mandated to - You took it upon Yourself to help another where you had the means. I have favorites going back to 1999 that would have been gone forever if not for You. I cannot Thank You enough. With deepest gratitude

-rudy792

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.