• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

received 16.7.2.10! and everything works fine

there's 1 topic about issues with this update so I made another :P

this morning, 1 small update downloaded which required me to restart the pc - which I did..... it booted fine etc

ran the update again, it downloaded just over 10mb of updates, again it required me to restart the pc which I did, and it booted fine lol

anyway everything works fine, didn't have any problems 

win vista sp2 32bit

EDIT: forgot to add, that the norton toolbar is in firefox, and it's working fine

EDIT2: FF 3.5.2

Message Edited by cinek on 08-20-2009 09:42 AMMessage Edited by cinek on 08-20-2009 10:11 AM<<Edit: Subject edited for clarity>>
Message Edited by TomV on 08-20-2009 06:40 AM
----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit

Replies

Kudos0

Re: received 16.7.2.10! and everything works fine

cinek wrote:

forgot to add, that the norton toolbar is in firefox, and it's working fine

Message Edited by cinek on 08-20-2009 09:42 AM

What version of firefox are you using?

Kudos0

The FF IPS and Tool bar issue has been fixed with this release.  You should be able to run both 3.5.2 and 3.0.13 and have no problems with the Norton Tool bar or IPS.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

I have 3.0.13 and have no issues in Firefox at all.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

FF 3.5.2
----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit
Kudos0

Hi all,

Why am i one of the happy few who got the patch 16.7.2.10 to install smoothly, without any problems? FireFox now fully protected runs like a charm and in Windows Explorer there is just a SINGLE instance of NIS in the "engine" repertory. Is there a bug in my system? Weird.. 

Cheers

Herve

[edit: Changed subject for clarity + spelling.]

Message Edited by shannons on 08-20-2009 02:57 PM
Serious mode OFF: I'm French but i try to treat this matter seriously! LOLSerious mode ON: To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. - Jerry Pournelle
Kudos0

At least there is two of us as I had no problems either!
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos1 Stats

I didn't have any problems either.

I also updated to Firefox 3.52 last night, no problems with the Norton Toolbar or IPS as well.

Kudos0

No problems here, NAV 2009 on XP SP3.

The only thing I noticed was that the program folders from the previous version were only deleted on a second restart. My settings were preserved, Live update (I use manual update) works fine, as does quick scan. Not checked anything else yet.

PS Two registry entries still point to files from previous version 16.5.0.134:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{047DA109-AD92-4DCA-823F-8413EE048BA6}\InprocServer32

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{2486B52E-F3AF-4379-B187-4174C830796C}\1.0\0\win32

point to

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\16.5.0.134\SymClgX.dll

whereas that file is now in C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\16.7.2.10\

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 08-20-2009 10:10 PM
Kudos0

Hello Shannons :-)

Since you have accurately moved my thread to a previous one that was dealing with the same subject, would you mind correcting the bad spelling in the title : PROBLEMS and not PROBELMS. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Herve

<<Edit: corrected a typo in the subject line as requested>>

Message Edited by TomV on 08-21-2009 12:13 AM
Serious mode OFF: I'm French but i try to treat this matter seriously! LOLSerious mode ON: To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. - Jerry Pournelle
Kudos0

Hi

After 2 reboots yesterday afternoon which weren't requested, the antivirus part of System Works 12 Standard seems to be working fine. I have had numerous  idle quick scans run since the install at 4:45 PM on Wed. I noticed just before that the old folder in the engine part was gone after today's reboot. It was still there yesterday after the 2 reboots. So far, so good with my update.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi Heco, I have edited your subject per your request! Please let me know if I can be of any additional help!

Thank you for contributing to the Norton Community!

Shannon

Norton Community Moderator

Kudos0

Dear Shannon :-)

It was not MY subject you have edited. Mine had "Worried!" as a title (i admit it was a little bit ironic but without the intention of offending those who encounter problems with the new patch). But you have moved my thread to another one dealing with the same subject. The thread where my post has been moved, had a bad spelling in the title. So i have found appropriate to ask you to correct the title in good English even though i am French! LOL.

It's a pleasure for me to contribute to the Norton Community under your supervision.

Cheers,

Herve

Message Edited by Heco on 08-20-2009 04:35 PM
Kudos0

I'll mention that, other than ccsvchst.exe (part of NIS 16.7.2.10) listed as being "not trusted" in Norton Insight, I'm not seeing any issues either. 

I was never notified that 16.7.2.10 downloaded, but on a whim I happened to look at the NIS program folder and saw 16.7.2.10 was there.  I'm not sure how long it was there for since I hardly ever reboot my laptop.  In any case, after one reboot 16.7.2.10 became active.  After a second reboot the old 16.5 files were gone.

Kudos0

Hi All

I have the Update no problems did not even notice it had arrived,I have FF 3.0.13. I have a laptop that has still not recieved the 16.7 should I take that as normal?

Don't Worry about the above it has arrived on the laptop...OOPs

Message Edited by mo on 08-21-2009 12:05 AM
Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

Downloaded the new patch 16.7.2.10 a few days ago on 2 computers with no problems.  Both computers seem to be working better (faster) with the new patch.
"Top Safe Web Reviewer with over 23,000 Reviews."
Kudos0

Upgraded from 16.5.0.35 to 16.7.2.10 on two laptops today :

=> XP SP3 using Firefox 3.5.2

=> Vista SP2 using Firefox 3.0.13

NIS and its toolbar have been working fine on both laptops for hours now !

.. and no trace of version 16.5.0.35 in my registry and my program files.

Off-topic : speaking of Firefox, the version 3.5.2 is way slower than 3.0.13 version on my XP machine. And I had to downgrade from 3.5.2 to 3.0.13 on my Vista machine because Firefox was even more slower there and would hang after minutes of use (even when running safe mode). So, after having lost my day, I would strongly recommand you to avoid installing the 'crappy' version 3.5.2 of Firefox and wait for 3.6 or above.

Message Edited by giom on 08-20-2009 11:16 PM
Kudos0

Norton IPS finally works, I was surprised because I was expecting the 24th
Kudos1 Stats

mike852 wrote:
Norton IPS finally works, I was surprised because I was expecting the 24th
Just proves that Symantec can exceed your expectations
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Just updated to FF3.5.2 and no problems with that either....Located in Australia,I wonder if geography has anything to do with it??
Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

Message and its replies moved to another thread for better exposure
Kudos0

Got the latest patch a couple of days ago and everything is running smoothly.  IPS is working in Firefox 3.5.2.  Will check the auto updates issue not turning back on after full screen mode next time I reboot this, probably tomorrow.

XP Home SP3

Comodo Firewall

and that's about it.

Message Edited by JolietJake on 08-21-2009 11:47 PM
Kudos0

Hi,

I´ve had the new version 16.7.2.10 installed and running for about 8 hours over 2 days.

There have been no issues but normal instabillities just shortly after the installation.

Nice work !!!

Kudos0

I'm happy to report that everything here is running smoothly, knock on wood.

The only thing I noticed that seemed amiss at first was when the program took a bit longer than normal to load. I then checked my version and sure enough it was 16.7.2.10 installing itself. After that, smooth sailing.

Didn't prompt for a reboot but I did one anyway and then another one about an hour later just to be on the safe side.

Kudos0

how come theres is working and the rest of us are suffering :*( man i installed the update and it screwed up
Kudos0

All fine here since the update 2 days ago, even IPS appears to be working & even no crashes in Firefox 3.5.2.

Touching wood as I type this!

Kudos0

All OK here as well.

FF 3.5.2 installed after this latest auto upgrade. I checked the FF compatibilty list before installing FF and IPS is now compatible.

Only noticed I had a new Norton Internet Security because it placed a new Icon on my Desktop.

Lets be careful out there !
Kudos0

Got 16.7.2.10 few days back......working very well.  No problems whatsoever.

Using :- Notebook, WINXP SP3.

Kudos0

You can add me to the list of folks with no issues...

FireFox 3.5.2 and Windows XP SP3 (really old but stable install), NIS 16.7.2.10 installed overnight yesterday (along w/some Windows Updates, zero-day fixes I guess since it's not Tuesday)... After the first reboot the system seemed to hang while booting up (just before it loaded Windows' tray apps) but after a manual reboot it came up just fine. The only minor issue is that NIS seems to have reset some of my default settings (Early Load for instance) but that's no biggie. The FF add-ons are working perfectly and there aren't any mis-labeled entries within the Norton Insight window.

Seems as snappy as ever, well, for this aging system... I'll soon be installing NIS on a new system I'm finishing building and I plan to slap the Win7 RC on it rather than Vista so we'll see how NIS handles that, there seems to be very few folks using W7 and reporting on the update... So either they're having no issues, they're trying the 2010 beta instead, or they've decided to use something else w/their Win7 RC installs ('cuz I know a lot of NIS users had been eagerly awaiting this update w/Win7 in mind). I'll also be installing it on my netbook next (or whenever LU decides to push it to me anyway).

Message Edited by Impulse on 08-22-2009 05:13 PM
Kudos0

I've got a question however, is the NIS setup located at the URL below the 16.7.2.10 version or is it the older 16.5? I ask because for the Win7 RC system I'd obviously like to avoid the hassle of installing the incompatible 16.5 then waiting for LU to push a fix (or would it auto-download 16.7 during the install routine?)... I think I've read a few times on the boards that the version located at the Update Center page should be 16.5 rather than 16.7, hence why I ask.

http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis09/

Kudos0

Hi Impulse,

Welcome the community!

<<I've got a question however, is the NIS setup located at the URL below the 16.7.2.10 version or is it the older 16.5?>>

The link in your post has the latest 16.7 version of NIS. Besides, our Norton Update Center should have the latest versions of our products as well. Check the following annoucement from Abhay for more information.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=66164

Thanks,

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation 

Message Edited by TomV on 08-22-2009 05:49 PM
Kudos0

Well, that announcement is a tad older and it predates this one for instance:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=67948

If I'm reading it correctly, it states that they're actually pulling back 16.7 (again?) due to the issues some users have reported... Hence my confusion as to what's currently available (either from the link I posted or from Update Center)... It'd be nice if the Update Center site clearly stated which version you're downloading previous to actually doing it (if it's specified anywhere I haven't seen it).

Usually it's not a very big deal as I imagine whichever version you've got up at any given time is bound to be the most stable... But since I'm planning to install Win7 on a new system this week (and since 16.5 is completely incompatible with it), the situation presents a bit of an exception.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurkin about for a while (following the progression of 16.7 & Win7 compatibility, and the 2010 beta)... Finally decided to register this week.

Edit: FWIW, the link I posted before still provides 16.7.2.10 as TomV stated, for those interested... I hadn't bothered to actually download the setup file and check it but I just did so in preparation for my Win7 install. I'm not sure if the Update Center is still providing 16.7.2.10 as well or if it was pulled back as Abhay suggested in another thread...

Despite him saying that, other posters stated they were still getting 16.7.2.10 from the UC and others stated they got 16.5 if they went thru the Removal Tool page first which eventually links to another page to re-dl the setup files IIRC... So I guess there's some confusion on all sides, heh.

Message Edited by Impulse on 08-23-2009 08:01 AM
Kudos0

NIS 2009 on 3 pcs.

Laptop, Vista Home Basic SP2,  32bit, 16.7 appears to be working fine.  In fact, I didn't even realize that version had been installed until I checked.

Netbook, Win XP Home, SP3, 32bit, still on 16.5.  It appears Symantec pulled the 16.7 update before I happened to get it on this computer since 16.7 is not to be found in the NIS folder.

Desktop, Vista Premium SP2, 32bit.  I'm getting the nag screen to reboot on my desktop, which is still on the 16.5 version.  16.7 is in the folder and obviously ready to go after a reboot but I've been too scared to reboot.  I'll try to keep the desktop going with 16.5 until I read here that Symantec has pushed out a new, safe version.

Firefox 3.5.2 on all of them.

Message Edited by boxner1 on 08-23-2009 02:50 PM
Kudos2 Stats

Hi,

I´ve done my 2nd installation of NIS version 16.7.2.10, this time not by using LiveUpdate but 

Norton Update Center, and it worked  as expected - successful without any issues at all.

Simple and strait forward !!

My OS used on both installations, Vista SP2.

Kudos0

As Impulse mentioned, you can't install the 16.5 version on a Win7 system in order to let it update to 16.7 so Win7 users need a 16.7 installation file. Unfortunately, the file at the download link he provided only seems to be 16.5 after all. I just downloaded it and, when I hover over it with the mouse in Explorer, it shows the version to be 16.5.0.135. Does anyone know where I can get the 16.7 file? I am currently running the NIS 2010 beta on my Win 7 system, but am only doing that to have a working NIS. I'd rather install NIS 2009 and just use my subscription instead of having to apply for new activation keys every 14 days.
Kudos0

Hi Sellador,

Use the following link. At the bottom there you can find a link to the Norton Update Center and to

download NIS/NAV 16.7.2.10.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=66724

I´ve downloaded the new version 16.7.2.10 by doing so and it worked strait forward without any 

issues on  a Vista Ultimate SP2.

Be carefull and let your system stabillize over a period of 2 hours or so, that has helped me lots

of times in the past.

Let´s hope it workes for you as well !

Good luck and take care !

Message Edited by Kurt on 08-25-2009 09:09 PM
Kudos0

Hi kurt,  the link at the bottom says - 

If you wish to download and install the previous version of Norton Internet Security (16.5.0.135), please visit the Norton Update Center:

http://www.norton.com/update

It doesnt say where you can get a link to install (16.7)....I also need the 16.7 exe file because norton update center only has 16.5 when you download it and the one impulse had was 16.5 and not 16.7....

Could anybody be so kind and upload their norton 16.7 exe file and post a link so everyone here that is looking for it can download it more easier ?

Message Edited by gbp007 on 08-26-2009 01:49 AM
Kudos0

Hi gbp007,

I understood the same thing your´re writing. Nevertheless I tested to download the NIS-installer -

and it was the new version 16.7.2.10, date was Aug 23. This can have been changed.

Please, test and you´ll find out the same way I did.

I´ve made a download right now, Aug 26, and the version is 16 .5.0.135.

I´m sorry to say, that right now only Symantec can tell us when and were version 16.7.2.10 can be

downloaded.

Please, be patient. The version to be used on Windows 7 is not far away.

Message Edited by Kurt on 08-26-2009 05:59 AM
Kudos0

I came to this forum soon after I discovered there was an issue with the Norton Plug inns & FF. Unfortunately,live update downloaded the update to rectify this problem before I got a chance to find out there were so many issues with the upgrade. Well, thanks to the upgrade, not only did the Norton framework collapse,windows was destroyed along with my hard drive. I have gone the last few days without a pc & am significantly out of pocket. 

I know that the incompetant people at Norton dont care but I just had to get this off my chest. I will NEVER,EVER again use any product from this company. Not using anti virus software is safer than using Nortons.

I have made the switch to another anti virus software despite having months left on my Norton Subscription.  

Kudos0

Just got the same message after having applied the hotfix for NIS 2009 version 16.7.2.10 last weekend. However, the original problem was the System Framework message, not including a Data Execution Prevention error message. Things were running so smoothly until tonight.  I reapplied the hotfix and I'm waiting to see if this problem recurs.Message Edited by irbrenda on 08-26-2009 10:50 PM
Kudos0

Thanks for trying, Kurt. I think that must be what happened to Impulse's link as well. It must have worked before, but then moved back to 16.5 after these problems started. I'm sure it won't be much longer, but it's frustrating that I have 16.7 working on my Vista system (via automatic update, and working fine), but that I can't get it on my Win7 computer. My 2010 beta license expires again in a few days. I'm so tired of renewing that all the time!
Kudos0

Hi Sellador,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to bring to your attention a recent announcement from Tony. 

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=68963

As Tony's annoucement states, we are currently deploying the HotFix thorugh LiveUpdate to all those users who are currently running 16.7. Once we distributed the HotFix via the LiveUpdate, we will provide the new updated 16.7 to all.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

The message I received BEFORE reapplying  the hotfix, as I stated in the post above this,   was the following:

"To help protect your computer, Data Execution Prevention has closed Symantec Service Framework."

The help page has the following info:

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you."

It is now 6 hours later and there are no errors yet.  So far, so good.

Kudos0

Looks like we're playing musical patch links here... :p Dunno why they took down that direct link as well, I can understand reverting Update Center to 16.5 (like they said they would) given the issues some are having, but they could've 'least left that other direct link up (that few people would've stumbled upon w/o knowing exactly what they were looking for) just for those running the Win7 RC... If it wasn't an RC (and I hadn't downloaded 16.7 already myself :p ) I'd be sligthly more annoyed, it IS an RC after all tho, and you should know what you're gettin in when you beta test stuff.
Kudos0

Impulse wrote:
Looks like we're playing musical patch links here... :p Dunno why they took down that direct link as well, I can understand reverting Update Center to 16.5 (like they said they would) given the issues some are having, but they could've 'least left that other direct link up (that few people would've stumbled upon w/o knowing exactly what they were looking for) just for those running the Win7 RC... If it wasn't an RC (and I hadn't downloaded 16.7 already myself :p ) I'd be sligthly more annoyed, it IS an RC after all tho, and you should know what you're gettin in when you beta test stuff.

The reason that the links were all taken down was so that nobody could download 16.7.2.10 until it was rereleased. The assertion that nobody would have stumbled across it is wrong. Sooner or later someone would have and would then have posted that link in an open post.

16.7.2.10 is being distributed in a controlled manner via liveupdate.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.