• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos4 Stats

At Risk - Problem with macOS 10.12.4 and NIS

after upgrading o the new IOS Norton start to give an scan at risk and when I try to fix it keep trying to download updates but never do anything. It also brick all my browsers. I restore the Mac and when I installed the software again the problem persist, contacted service and the offer me to download the intelligent updater and solve the issue for a few seconds but when the safe web plugin was installed the problem appears again.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: At Risk - Problem with macOS 10.12.4 and NIS

I have the same problem on my iMac and MacBook Pro!
Kudos1 Stats

Hi

I am having the same issues with norton for Mac. I due not have time to chat or email with norton.  Can some one reach out to one of the norton employes who responds to the board.  And ask them to look into this matter.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I'll pass it on to the team.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

I also have seen problems. The SymDaemon process is running at 100% at random times which slows the system to a halt and causes crashes. I spent more than an hour troubleshooting with Norton before a tech pulled my logs, gave me a case number, and said someone would reach out to me. The only short term fix is to disable the app.. that DOES do the trick. Hopefully the problem will be fixed shortly.

Kudos1 Stats

I have the same problem

Kudos1 Stats

Same problem. I hope it will be fixed soon.

Kudos1 Stats

I've had the same problem.  Thought it was the update itself until the toolbar in the browsers started crashing.  Removed NS and reinstalled without browser toolbar.  Seems to be working now.  Hope it gets fixed soon.

Kudos0

Same issues here!!! I cannot use my Mac at all... Same issues with the browsers and while trying to run LiveUpdate everything else becomes unresponsive... I have to force shutdown my computer. Can anyone please provide an update on this matter...

Thanks

Kudos0

I have a temporary solution to the problem until Symantec fixes the problem. it works on my Macbook Pro with MacOS Sierra 10.12.4
Start Norton, click Advanced, then click on Settings on automatically search and uncheck the two search boxes, then restart computer and run live update and quick scan....

Kudos0

I am experiencing the same problems. Day one I spent several hours on the phone with Comcast because I thought it was an Internet issue. My entire Internet was impacted. Day two I discovered that it must be a Comcast Norton Security and OS 10.12.4 compatibility issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Comcast Norton 8 time. The result is always the same. Appears to work then locks up and bricks my browsers. Comcast Norton Support is telling the world it is a known Norton issue. Norton chat denies there is a problem and want to talk me through installing NortonCORRECTLY. after 8 times I think I'm pretty good at installing and uninstalling. Currently Norton is uninstalled and I'm shopping for a new product. Two questions. Does Norton talk within Norton. Does anyone have a security suggestion. I would be more than happy to talk with anybody in Norton.

Kudos0

Has Norton support been notified of this problem? I've been working on it for two days. Comcast Norton Security support says it is a known Norton issue. Norton support says there is no problem and want to walk me through installing it correctly. After installing and uninstalling 8 times I'm pretty good at it. The only way I can have Internet is to leave it uninstalled. Can you help?
Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The team is investigating this issue and I'll update this thread when I have more information or need additional details from you.

Kudos0

After several hours of frustration, here is a temporary solution... It's simple and has worked for me; The only way to avoid the SymDaemon process running at 100% (which once it does, it bricks my browser and loose all connectivity) it's to disable the "Automatic Scans" and "Idle Scans" it will show you the "At risk" all the time but at least I am able to stay connected... if turn ON will prevent me from use my computer and force quit all applications or a force shutdown.

This will defeat the whole purpose of having Norton Security installed... I guess will consider cancelling my renewal after many, many years of sticking with Norton...

Kudos0

I have uninstalled Norton from my MAC and have installed Kaspersky until the issue gets resolved by Norton.

Kudos0

An update:  rather than live with Norton features turned off, last night I simply reverted to a week-old Carbon Copy Cloner backup and am back to 10.12.3.  Will wait until the issue is resolved before upgrading to 10.12.4.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi everyone,

The team has published a fix for this issue via LiveUpdate.

Could you please run LiveUpdate until all the updates are installed and see if you can reproduce the issue?

Please let me know if you are still facing this issue

Kudos0

For me the fix is not working, the same problem.

Kudos0

Symptoms initially appeared after the LiveUpdate (fresh install of Norton Security).  However, things seems to be better now.  Browsers are working.  LiveUpdate seems to be working.  Looks like NS is now logging into my Norton account.  I'll keep looking for other symptoms.  I will say that it was "wonky" (yes, that's the technical term) on the install/updates on NS and I've rebooted a few times.  I would say the patch still needs work, but you're on the right track.

FYI...I did a full wipe/load/update on mac OS previously thinking I had some other corruption or conflicting software.  But upon the reload, the symptoms were instant after loading Norton Security (first app I loaded on the fresh install).

Kudos0

I did a clean install followed by a live update. Norton required a reboot of the MAC after live update. During the reboot system froze and had to power off and power on again.

After reboot haven't experienced any issues so far especially when awaking the machine from sleep.

Kudos0

Hi,

Just to let people know about my Norton software for mac status I run live update and the updates are installed on my MacBook pro and no problems so far.  I can run quick scan and fun scan without a problem and my internet works just fine.  I am glad Norton was able to fix the problem.

Ryan 

Kudos0

I have tried the patch and things seem to be functioning normally now. Thanks for the fix.

Kudos0

I am experiencing the same issue again and the SymDaemon process is running at 100%. Looks like the patch did not fix the issue. I had to disable automatic scan.

Please provide us a permanent solution.

Kudos0

I take back what I said previously. The problem has returned  :(

Kudos0

Installed it and apply the updates. Result: iMac freeze, need to power off holding the power button. Internet not working, and the same error in NIS. It cost me to format again my iMac.

Kudos0

Still not working after a few minutes....
Kudos0

I am also experiencing the problem and have contacted Norton on several occasions, eventually being told it was my Mac Book Pro that was at fault.  Contacting Apple tests were run and all passed.  Norton were again contacted and they still did not admit that this was a Norton v 10.12.4 issue even though the problem only occurred after the update and informing them that other users were experiencing the same issue.  Come on Norton admit there is a problem and do something about it or offer a refund.

Kudos0

The update didn't work for me, i still need to restart the computer, that means turn off and start from 0.My app store does not work at all since the update. I disabled the browser extension that gave less problems.

Kudos0

The Norton comment Posted: 05-Apr-2017 | 9:18AM • Permalink strikes me as they do not know how to fix the problem.

Come on Norton keep us informed with the truth.  

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Everyone,

We're sorry that the recent LiveUpdate fix did not resolve the issue. Could you please let us know the current error message shown on Norton Interface and my colleague (Mohan_G) has sent a private message to all requesting logs for further investigation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

There is no error message shown anywhere... at least for me. What happens is there is no connection to the internet, apps start crashing etc. and I need to reboot. What I consistently see (using Activity monitor) is that when this situation occurs, the process SymDaemon is running at 100%.

Kudos0

Hi @CurtisJ2, I've sent you a private message via the forum requesting mode details on the issue and new set of logs. Please check it when you get a chance. Thanks. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Still seems to be working for me (don't want to jinx it, but wanted to post status).  Currently running 7.3.1 Build 21 Layout ESD of Norton Security on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013).  Browsers are working, LiveUpdate is Working, Scans are working.  No changes to "default" configuration of Norton Security.

Kudos0

It sometimes works for a few hours and then the problems are back again. Sorry Norton but no solution after almost 2 weeks? I will permanently deinstall Norton and switch to Bitdefender. 

Kudos0

So, the symptoms are back.  Sigh.  Just restarted so I could get out and post this after not being able to get anywhere in browsers and everything locked up mid-typing on the forum.  Took a few minutes to clear.   

Kudos0

This sucks.  I sent back to OS 10.12.2 and no problems with NIS.  I reloaded OS 10.12.4, did a full scan and no problems until I went to the App Store an hour or so later.  It wouldn't open and I couldn't force close it.  Problem is back.  I give up until a fix has been reported for several days.  We were all warned not to download new updates for a while.  I'm a believer now.

Kudos0

I have the same problem.

Kudos0

Update: Yesterday I made a scan just to see what happens, the same thing happened as Berny822 with picture above. I only could start in safe mode and then start in normal mode, everything worked again. Today in one start, only internet takes a little longer, email was oke. If i close the internet again it will not open anymore and it needs a forced stop and restart. I don't try anything else until i am sure that the problem is fixed. I have a Macbook Pro Retina a few month old and did soooooooo many starts already. Please solve the problem, it takes too long!!!  

Kudos0

I have the same problem again.

Kudos0

The only way I found to regain Internet access through any browser was to turn off the Norton Firewall and turn on the Apple Firewall. Norton SW now complains that I am no longer protected. For the short term, I am keeping it so I have the scanning capability. How do I turn the Dam warning off. It keeps popping up. If that doesn't stop, I'm un-installing Norton.

BTW, it's "safe browser" plugin is a nightmare and I removed and refuse to add it to any browser. It over-rides my browser settings with it's own setting, making the browser almost useless. 

Norton wants connection blocking on. I suspect that killed all browsing - in fact, it killed all internet and local ethernet connections. SAFE, BUT USELESS. Too much money for a tool that bricks your entire network.

And I had to force quit Norton or restart my computer while typing this.

Very unhappy long-term customer.

Kudos0

Had to uninstall Norton to get my Mac back. This requires a restart - it better be gone. 

-Really mad now.

Kudos0

I had to uninstall norton altogether in order to get my computer back.(all of the above issues pertained to me too) Until i have learned the problem is resolved I am done!

I can not replace the time lost trying to fix it with tech support.

Just a warning to all of you that are going to do the same-- be sure you remove your auto renew/credit card information from your norton account because they will continue to deduct from your account whether you have it installed or not.  

Wishing everyone luck!

Kudos0

For those people who choose to uninstall Norton Internet Security keep in mind that there is a better way to stay protected from Internet threats for the next couple of days (or maybe even hours) in which this problem persists but if you jumped over to another security solution your problem is likely solved for now.

All you need to sacrifice in order to restore full Internet capability and Internet security is the new Mac OS Sierra Night Shift feature which alters colors on the screen in update 10.12.4 and later. I personally put some of this blame onto Apple for this current bug. Symantec will have to produce a solution with or without Apple's help though.

Here's how you can have everything but Night Shift: If you have gone far enough to create a Carbon Copy Cloner external bootable back-up partition beforehand, in my case I used TechTool Pro 9's cloning utility, I'd recommend going back to Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 (if possible) as all of Apple's important security fixes are on this update.

If you have an earlier version of Mac OS saved as a clone you will likely only be able to jump back to 10.12,2 in Apple's Software Update before 10.12.3  is skipped altogether in favor of the most recent but flawed update. From there you can download 10.12.3 from Apple's website. The only thing really BIG thing that was added in 10.12.4 is Night Shift so if you can live without Night Shift for a while you will be much better off than surfing the web unprotected!

Kudos0

It looks like the only solution to the problem is to use "RemoveSymantecMacFiles" and trust Apple OS security or by another security app.

Norton should be refunding those who have purchased Norton Security.  This problem has been ongoing for over a week now and still no fix.

Kudos0

I unstalled Norton and switched to Kaspersky

Kudos0

I have chosen to stay with Norton Internet Security (for the time being) but only for as long as is reasonable for me personally in my mind. I am staying because switching security on four Macs would be rather expensive. I totally understand and respect why other people with fewer machines to upgrade are abandoning ship now that NIS has this current problem. My reason to stay (for now) is that my current software configuration is as safe and secure on all of my machines as can be under the current circumstances. This is NOT a fix and I did take a loss in time productivity implementing this temporary solution.

I'm running Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.3 very, very, very smoothly on a Mac Mini and two iMacs and all of Symantec's software appears to be running flawlessly and efficiently in that version of Mac OS. The good news for me is that Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.3 has all of the current Apple security updates that are included in 10.12.4 but lacks numerous non-security oriented features. This of course means that Apple's Night Shift feature is absent from all of my machines but I do have similar capability on Android and I am not really impressed with it so far so I can wait until Symantec fixes this problem! LOL!

I am hoping that my input helped at least one person living in a multi-Macintosh home find a more affordable temporary solution around this very serious security issue. Apple is aware of this problem but the responsibility is with Symantec to fix their own software product and service. In my case, having a bootable backup solution to fall back onto saved my bacon BIG time. I'm urging others (who have backed up their data) to seek out my solution by downloading version 10.12.3 of the Mac OS from Apple's website. Good luck to you people out there who may disagree with me for very justifiable reasons.  Hopefully you have found a better solution and hopefully this problem is solved sooner than later for everyone involved... Especially me! LOL!

Kudos0

Anyone have a fix for this?  Sigh.......

Kudos0

Has the problem been fixed yet? If not, let me know when it has been fixed so that I can reinstall Norton Internet Security. Mac os sierra 10.12.4 works fine without NIS. 

Kudos0

No error messages. Just blocks connections to the internet. Works fine with NIS deleted. Reinstalling doesn't solve the problem.

Kudos0

Just looking other options to Norton internet security, very disappointed.

Kudos0

My advice to everyone is to be patient and to implement a solution that works for an extended period of time. While it could be days to repair keep in mind that there is a very good chance that this could take weeks or even months to fix! Either ditch Symantec and jump to another security program or get rid of Symantec and use Apple's firewall or do what I did and roll back your machine's OS to version 10.12.3 while continuing to use NIS. I chose the third option but the other two are not bad choices either!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.