• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

run Windows 10 Check for Updates, I receive error code 0x800705b4

When I run Windows 10 Check for Updates, I receive error code 0x800705b4. After doing some research, I find that this error code is related to Windows Defender, which is locked out by Norton Security. I un-installed Norton Security (saving the settings only). There are two issues:

1. Is there a solution for this error code?

2. If there is not a solution for the error code, how can I remove the block on Windows Defender that Norton Security has left behind?

I would like a simple solution, but a more complex solution such as editing the registry or running the command prompt as an administrator do not concern me.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: run Windows 10 Check for Updates, I receive error code 0x800705b4

hi Scott

When Norton is installed Windows Defender should be automatically turned off, were you able to check when Norton Security was installed that WD had in fact been turned off correctly?

If you check with Norton uninstalled it should be turned on.

When I first installed Windows 10 checking WD all the settings were greyed out and disabled however, the Panel showed WD as turned on and there was no way of turning it off. Whilst it was reported that Norton was installed I did not know if this would cause problems.

I uninstalled Norton then returned to the Security Settings and turned off WD before reinstalling Norton.

Perhaps this will solve your difficulties.

Additionally Windows 10 installs with Fast Start-up enabled which can cause Norton and other programs difficulties, it is suggested that Fast Start-up is turned off.

I guess you will be familiar with the settings for Fast Start-up if not the link below will direct you to information and instructions on how to turn it off:

Windows 10 Fast Start-up

Michael

Kudos1 Stats

As this is a Windows error, try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. From Control Panel go to System and Security - Troubleshoot common computer problems. Under System and Security try the Fix problems with Windows Update.

You might also try any other troubleshooters you feel might help.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thank you. I neglected to mention that I had done that several times. It made no difference.

Kudos0

Thank you.

When I un-installed Norton Security, opted to keep the options. Perhaps that was an error on my part? I am wondering if doing a complete un-install would be better?

Disabling fast start up did not change things.

Kudos0

hi Scott

Perhaps running the Norton Removal Tool would help to complete a more clean uninstall and help, if you are going to reinstall Norton again save settings when asked to do so. the Norton Removal tool may be downloaded from the link below:

Norton Removal Tool

Turning off Windows Fast Start-up would be unlikely to solve your current problem however, it would help to avoid future problems if using Norton or any other program that fast start-up would cause difficulties with.

Michael

Kudos0

Deleted

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Michael,

Thank you. I had forgotten about the Norton Removal Tool,, which I will use when I continue troubleshooting. I have to postpone working on the issue until next week, so I cannot report any results right now.

Scott

Kudos0

hi Scott

I look forward to hearing from you when it is sovled next week.

Michael

Kudos0

Check to see if any of the updates included Windows Defender Definition Updates. If so, uncheck them.

For many AV programs Security Center is showing that both Windows Defender and the A/V are both turned on, BUT if you open Windows Defender you will see that while it may be "On" that Real Time Scanning is Turned Off.

Kudos0

I had the same problem until:
I uninstalled Norton (don't save your settings) then
I clicked Settings, Update and Security, then Windows Defender
I turned off all Defender options.
I then reinstalled Norton
I shutdown the computer, then started it up.  No I didn't restart.
I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Control Panel, Troubleshooter, Fix problems with Windows Update. Advance, Run as Administrator)
I updated Norton definitions and installed all patches. if offered.
I ran WIndows Update and no longer am presented with any Windows Definition Updates.
100% worked for me.  Hope it works for you.

Kudos0

Your solution would have worked for many. The only comment that I can make is that a re-start on Windows 10 (unlike earlier versions of the Window OS) does shut down and re-start.

Subsequently, I found out that I had a deeper issue than I had realized. Actually, the problem turned out to be the installation of updates related to Microsoft Office Suite.

I was still having problems after I ran the Windows 10 1511 (Fall) update, so I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It didn't seem to help, but it may have solved some underlying issues.

It turns out that the Windows 10 1511 (Fall) update didn't like the settings for Microsoft Office Suite, claiming that I had an unregistered copy. I deleted the Microsoft Office Suite and re-downloaded my registered copy of Microsoft Office Suite. All works well now.

Kudos0

Well, as this error is related to Windows update, try to run Windows Update troubleshooter from control panel and then go to system and security. This will help you to troubleshoot common PC problem, but if you are not able to fix it then follow the given steps .

Update Windows Defender from the security center. To locate Windows Defender, click Start button -> Settings ->Update & security -> Windows Defender.

Go to Windows Updates and click “Advanced options”. Click the option to get updates for other Microsoft products.

Restart Computer and check for updates again. The update process will be done without problem. When you receive the message “Your device is up to date”, click “Advanced options” again and recheck update options for Microsoft programs.

Check updates once more time and now you should become able to get them downloaded and installed. Then update other programs.

Try this out hope this help you but if not then this error might be related to registry corruption. So make use of the registry repair tool to fix the error adversely

Kudos0

As you have mentioned 0x800705b4 is a wide spread problem. The most probable solution to your problem would be to disable the firewall of your system. Most of them can be disabled by right-clicking on their icon in the taskbar and choosing Disable.

Kudos0

Why reply to a two year old thread?

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

microsoft forgot to tell us what this error code means. It means something specific internally, but no-one has disclosed what it means.

No wait. I just figured it out from internal error codes from microsoft files.

The "facility code" of "0x8007" means "windows update".

The "Facility error" of "0x05B4" means:

The operation timed out (literally decodes to "This operation returned because the timeout period expired.")

This means microsoft's servers for windows 10 updates were too slow and were unable to provide you with updates.

Either that, or the other user(s) somewhere in the world that you are downloading windows updates from via microsoft peer to peer (p2p) files sharing has a really slow connection.

You can opt out of wasting your bandwidth to save microsoft hosting/bandwith costs (below) but I don't know if you have a choice where your download comes from (or how slow it is).

pcworld.com: How to stop Windows 10 from using your PCs bandwidth to update strangers systems

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.