• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Scheduling in Norton AntiVirus for Mac 2012

I do not see where to schedule LiveUpdate or scans for Norton Antivirus 2012 for Mac.  Has this been removed?  Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Scheduling in Norton AntiVirus for Mac 2012

I do not see where to schedule LiveUpdate or scans for Norton Antivirus 2012 for Mac.  Has this been removed?  Any help would be appreciated.

Kudos0

LiveUpdate automatically checks for updates every two hours.  For peace of mind, you can confirm this by opening Norton AntiVirus 12 for Mac, and viewing the history.

Virus scans are automatically performed when your system is idle.  The scans tend to occur several times a day, and also show up in the history.

You generally don't have to schedule any updates or scans in the NAV 12 product, but if you have a specific need, Mike Romo does have some details about how to setup a schedule for updates, behind the scenes.

Hope that helps!

Kudos0

That's correct. Here's a copy/paste of the explanation I gave for a post entitled "What Happened to Live Update in Antivirus 12 for MAC"...

The "scheduling" of LiveUpdate (LU) and antivirus (AV) scan events is no longer a feature. Instead, both LU and AV scan events are done automatically.

I believe that LU events are done every 2 hours. The log for these events can be found as follows;

1. Launch LU

2. Select Window menu at Menu Bar.

3. Select Show History from drop down menu.

Here log entries are created per update made. Therefore, if there's no update to be had then there's no entry made.

Automatic AV scan events are done differently. The new feature is called Idle-time Scan (ITS) and its settings can be accessed from NAV's Automatic Protection tab.

1. Select the Configure button (authenticate if necessary).

Here you'll see the various settings for ITS. As the name implies, ITS scans occur when the system is "idle." As far as ITS is concerned, an "idle" state is defined by (1) no user interaction, (2) no heavy to moderate system processes taking place, (3) laptop systems must be connected to a power cord or above 70% battery capacity, the system is not sleeping, and (3) all conditions must exist for 5 minutes. When these conditions are met, ITS scanning begins in accordance with the setting you've assigned it. ITS log entries are displayed at NAV main window View History link.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you've any problems.

Thanks.

David

Kudos0

Thank you both.  I was starting to think that was the case.  I just wanted to check.  Thanks again!

Kudos0

This post has been moved to its own thread.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.