• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Seeking ''advance' advices prior installation of NAVISS 2009

Will be installing NAVIS2009 sometime next week but want to have as many questions answered ahead of time as i can manage:

I have Win XP, SP2, ''DIALUP'...Earthlink Server.

Do i want to use Earthlink's spam-control option for mail AND NAV's?  

Do i want to uninstall my current security suite BEFORE installing the C.D. to start the installation of NAV?

Do i want to use first the current security suite's own program's  'uninstaller' BEFORE going to control panel/add-remove of the program?

Do i want to do a Defrag/restart  ''AFTER' UNINSTALLING' my current program and again after i install NAV?

Will i be ''on line' anytime during the installation of NAV ;

I know i will have to be on line after the installation of NAV is complete  in order to do Updates to current ones available...will i be vulnerable to any viruses, etc. while the updating is ongoing (which will be a long time for me since i only have dial=up) ?

If there is anything else i should know about the  preparation of my computer installation or anything else i would be very appreciative ....

Thanks in advance for any input !  so  - Edythe

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Seeking ''advance' advices prior installation of NAVISS 2009

Are you putting N.I.S. 2009 or Norton AntiVirus 2009 on your computer?

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Hello - i'm installing ''NORTON INTERNET SECURITY SUITE, 2009 ''
Kudos1 Stats

EDYTHE wrote:

Will be installing NAVIS2009 sometime next week but want to have as many questions answered ahead of time as i can manage:

I have Win XP, SP2, ''DIALUP'...Earthlink Server.

Do i want to use Earthlink's spam-control option for mail AND NAV's?  

If this is on their servers (filters out spam before sending mail to your inbox), which I believe is the case, you can leave it on and enable Norton too.  If it is local on your computer, only use one program.

Do i want to uninstall my current security suite BEFORE installing the C.D. to start the installation of NAV? 

Yes! Yes! Yes!  This is extremely important to do.  Go offline first, though.

Do i want to use first the current security suite's own program's  'uninstaller' BEFORE going to control panel/add-remove of the program?

Add/Remove basically runs the program's uninstaller, so either way will work, but if the program's own uninstaller is available I would probably use that directly.  If the company offers a downloadable removal tool, you might want to run that as well, although this is not absolutely required.

Do i want to do a Defrag/restart  ''AFTER' UNINSTALLING' my current program and again after i install NAV?

Defragmenting is optional.  I would do it after installing NIS as it is a fairly large program and may fragment as it installs.

Will i be ''on line' anytime during the installation of NAV ;

I know i will have to be on line after the installation of NAV is complete  in order to do Updates to current ones available...will i be vulnerable to any viruses, etc. while the updating is ongoing (which will be a long time for me since i only have dial=up) ?

You can install offline.  Once installed, you can go online to activate and run LiveUpdate (repeat LiveUpdate until it says there are no further updates for you).  Do this before any recreational web surfing as you will be protected by the firewall and auto-protect, albeit without the latest virus definitions.  Running LiveUpdate poses no risk as long as the firewall is enabled, which will block everything else out.

If there is anything else i should know about the  preparation of my computer installation or anything else i would be very appreciative ....

Make sure there is no malware on your system as this is probably the single most common cause of installation problems.  You can scan with your current AV prior to uninstalling it, and/or let Norton run it's preinstallation check when you are prompted by the setup wizard.

Thanks in advance for any input !  so  - Edythe

Message Edited by SendOfJive on 06-19-2009 05:58 PM
Kudos0

What is your current security set up? That is an important one to know on how you need to uninstall this set up. because you really need to uninstall this first.

As soon as you have done that you are safe to install NIS09. After install it is advisable to update and run a full scan,.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Will be installing NAVIS2009 sometime next week but want to have as many questions answered ahead of time as i can manage: I have Win XP, SP2, ''DIALUP'...Earthlink Server. Do i want to use Earthlink's spam-control option for mail AND NAV's?

If this is on their servers (filters out spam before sending mail to your inbox), which I believe is the case, you can leave it on and enable Norton too. If it is local on your computer, only use one program. Sorry for being so 'thick'...i don't understand what you mean by ''local' computer..here's all i 'undersstand:  .i use Outlook Express Mail Program  but it gets my mail  only  after my server, Earthlink first gets my incoming mail (E.L. also has it's own mail program but i prefer the set-up of O.L.E.) ..I can set Earthlink's  filters for  'spam' as it receives my email to check all email arriving...or i can totally shut it off so whatever E.L. would receive would just be downloaded into O.E. without any checks for spam, etc, by E.L. ...  is that the way i should set up Norton - that Norton would be the 'only' source of filtered email?   (E.L. filter also offers gradations of filtering i.e. allowing only those i list to be downloaded into O.E.)

Do i want to uninstall my current security suite BEFORE installing the C.D. to start the installation of NAV? Yes! Yes! Yes! This is extremely important to do. Go offline first, though.  Yes, thanks

Do i want to use first the current security suite's own program's 'uninstaller' BEFORE going to control panel/add-remove of the program? Add/Remove basically runs the program's uninstaller, so either way will work, but if the program's own uninstaller is available I would probably use that directly. If the company offers a downloadable removal tool, you might want to run that as well, although this is not absolutely required. There is a removal tool when i do 'start/all programs/trend micro/''uninstall t.m. iss''

Do i want to do a Defrag/restart ''AFTER' UNINSTALLING' my current program and again after i install NAV? Defragmenting is optional. I would do it after installing NIS as it is a fairly large program and may fragment as it installs. O.K.

Will i be ''on line' anytime during the installation of NAV ; I know i will have to be on line after the installation of NAV is complete in order to do Updates to current ones available...will i be vulnerable to any viruses, etc. while the updating is ongoing (which will be a long time for me since i only have dial=up) ? You can install offline.

Once installed, you can go online to activate and run LiveUpdate (repeat LiveUpdate until it says there are no further updates for you). Do this before any recreational web surfing as you will be protected by the firewall and auto-protect, albeit without the latest virus definitions. Running LiveUpdate poses no risk as long as the firewall is enabled, which will block everything else out.

If there is anything else i should know about the preparation of my computer installation or anything else i would be very appreciative ...

. Make sure there is no malware on your system as this is probably the single most common cause of installation problems. You can scan with your current AV prior to uninstalling it, and/or let Norton run it's preinstallation check when you are prompted by the setup wizard.  Many thanks for your reply -- ps - is there anyway to do a 'quote' of what you answer within my reply - i did a copy/paste so i would be easier to reference your replys to me and mine back to you - LOL   thanks !!! 

Kudos0

Stu wrote:

What is your current security set up? That is an important one to know on how you need to uninstall this set up. because you really need to uninstall this first.

As soon as you have done that you are safe to install NIS09. After install it is advisable to update and run a full scan,.

Hello -- CURRENTLY USING TREND MICRO SECURITY SUITE 2008  IT has an 'uninstaller' tool available ...i know to use that and/or the Add/Remove within the Control Panel ... would there be any 'phantom files' i should look for within I.E. ? and yes i have marked down to do an update and full scan   thanks so much !!

Kudos1 Stats

Hi EDYTHE,

The EarthLink spamBlocker question may revolve around your choice of email client.  The issue here is that according to the EL website, if you are using Outlook or Outlook Express rather than TotalAccess Mailbox, you have to download the free spamBlocker program as an add-on.  When I clicked to get the information on that I was taken to a page offering the Earthlink Protection Center.  The EPC is a Kaspersky based product so I would be wary of installing it alongside of Norton since conflicts could arise.  If you currently have a standalone version of spamBlocker and it is set to only block known spam, it is probably OK  to continue using it alongside Norton.  But if you experience slowdowns in retrieving your email from EarthLink's servers you should disable it.  Or you could check with EarthLink to find out if the Outlook/OE add-on actively scans or is simply a means of accessing and setting your preferences for the server-based program.  If the latter, you could enable it with Norton with no issues and effectively have a two-stage spam filter.

To quote the post you are replying to, click the quote button in the top right of the post editor.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi EDYTHE,

The EarthLink spamBlocker question may revolve around your choice of email client.  The issue here is that according to the EL website, if you are using Outlook or Outlook Express rather than TotalAccess Mailbox, you have to download the free spamBlocker program as an add-on.IHUMMM  I HAVE NEVER DOWNLOADED ANYTHING LIKE TOTAL ACCESS..I AM AWARE THAT E.L. OFFERS THAT BUT NEVER TOOK IT.   WHEN I go to my Earthlink.net mail page by signing-on to the server there is a choice to set the 'spam' controls to 'high/med/low/off.  Nothing else is required.  By that time the mail is sitting in that mailbox and i'm assuming it is filtered (or not per my settings).   When i setup Outlook Express it causes the mail sitting in Earthlink Mailbox to then get downloaded into OutlookExpress...that's all if do!  LOL   When I clicked to get the information on that I was taken to a page offering the Earthlink Protection Center.  The EPC is a Kaspersky based product so I would be wary of installing it alongside of Norton since conflicts could arise.I visited the same link within the E.L. webpage aslo and saw that !!!  of course i know not to have too A/V programs running at the same time  so i never 'subscribed to that 'offer'   If you currently have a standalone version of spamBlocker and it is set to only block known spam, it is probably OK  to continue using it alongside Norton. i'm sorry but i don't know what you mena by 'standalone' ...as i said the only way i can get 'spam' control is to use the choices right there on the E.L. WebMail page...   But if you experience slowdowns in retrieving your email from EarthLink's servers you should disable it.  Actuall i have seen that if i have E.L.'s spam control 'set' and try to 'activate' Trend Micro's (what i have now) there definitely 'is' a conflict so i did have to disable TrendMicro's...so i know what you're trying to say ...Or you could check with EarthLink to find out if the Outlook/OE add-on actively scans or is simply a means of accessing and setting your preferences for the server-based program. Oh boy - i'm confused again !  lol ..  If the latter, you could enable it with Norton with no issues and effectively have a two-stage spam filter.  I guess i could just find out if the two 'filtes' conflict once i install and try Nav's 'spam control' ... trial error i guess   thanks so much for trying to help !!!

To quote the post you are replying to, click the quote button in the top right of the post editor. I FOUND IT 'AFTER' I REPLIED TO THE OTHER POST - LOL - THANKS ANYWAY ! 

Kudos0

Stu wrote:

After install it is advisable to update and run a full scan,.

...dis-connected from the Internet.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Stu wrote:

...dis-connected from the Internet. HI - do you mean be on-line to do updates THEN when finished, log-off and do a full scan?   thanks in advance.. Edythe  (if there is anything else you think necessary please advise) 

Kudos0

EDYTHE wrote:

Stu wrote:

Hello -- CURRENTLY USING TREND MICRO SECURITY SUITE 2008  IT has an 'uninstaller' tool available ...i know to use that and/or the Add/Remove within the Control Panel ... would there be any 'phantom files' i should look for within I.E. ? and yes i have marked down to do an update and full scan   thanks so much !!

Trend is one of them which like to leave some files indeed. Please use this tool to uninstall trend

Kudos0

EDYTHE wrote:

Floating_Red wrote:

Stu wrote:

...dis-connected from the Internet. HI - do you mean be on-line to do updates THEN when finished, log-off and do a full scan?   thanks in advance.. Edythe  (if there is anything else you think necessary please advise) 

Yes. that's what he means. First update --> disconnect --> than run a full scan

Kudos0

Stu wrote:

EDYTHE wrote:

Stu wrote:

Trend is one of them which like to leave some files indeed. Please use this tool to uninstall trend  UNLESS I  missed something i didn't see an 'address' for the tool ?   if i go into Win/I.E./programs/t.m. is that where some files could be remaining that didn't get deleted by uninstall tool of T.M. or Add/Remove  - any other areas i should look ? 

Kudos0

HI Stu -- you wrote about T.M. leaving files .... i realize this is a NAV forum but if you have 'experience' with T.M. what is your feeling about its ISS vs NAV's ?  thanks, Edythe

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.