• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

SHOULD I KEEP DEFAULT SETTINGS IN NISS 2010

Hello - IE8/SP3/ NISS 2010 VER. 17.7.0.12

Just did an  'upgrade' install over NISS 2009 other day - things seem to be o.k. ...current subscription will expire in about three months.

I  Would appreciate guidance regarding the settings=choices for best performance within all sections of the program...... i could leave the 'defaults' for all categories i guess but i did turn-off ''power saving' in "MISC' section since i always use a PC - never run on a battery ...but i'm confused because i thought i read that by doing that,  the 'off' position will  interfer with ''idle full scan'' (or is it if 'power saving' is 'on' that's what interfers with the idle full scan ?!)

I was confused thinking the ''on'' setting showing for ''power-saving'' caused the word ''never' to show in the 'status' section (Norton Tasks) for ''Idle full scan''..   but maybe that's because i didn't have this new upgrade  in place for a 'full' week' ?  

Also, when i disabled 'power saving' , there was a 'battery icon' showing in the 'status' section ...

Also, if i do a manual-full system scan occasionally, will that ''mute-out' the need for ''idle time scan' to function on a given time (right now it's set to 1x a week ... guess you can tell i'm totally confused.

I appreciate any advices.....thanks so much Edythe.....

Replies

Kudos0

Re: SHOULD I KEEP DEFAULT SETTINGS IN NISS 2010

Hello - IE8/SP3/ NISS 2010 VER. 17.7.0.12

Just did an  'upgrade' install over NISS 2009 other day - things seem to be o.k. ...current subscription will expire in about three months.

I  Would appreciate guidance regarding the settings=choices for best performance within all sections of the program...... i could leave the 'defaults' for all categories i guess but i did turn-off ''power saving' in "MISC' section since i always use a PC - never run on a battery ...but i'm confused because i thought i read that by doing that,  the 'off' position will  interfer with ''idle full scan'' (or is it if 'power saving' is 'on' that's what interfers with the idle full scan ?!)

I was confused thinking the ''on'' setting showing for ''power-saving'' caused the word ''never' to show in the 'status' section (Norton Tasks) for ''Idle full scan''..   but maybe that's because i didn't have this new upgrade  in place for a 'full' week' ?  

Also, when i disabled 'power saving' , there was a 'battery icon' showing in the 'status' section ...

Also, if i do a manual-full system scan occasionally, will that ''mute-out' the need for ''idle time scan' to function on a given time (right now it's set to 1x a week ... guess you can tell i'm totally confused.

I appreciate any advices.....thanks so much Edythe.....

Kudos2 Stats

Hi EDYTHE:

The default settings are all good.  Turning the power saving to off on a PC is the way to go.  You only need it for laptops.  NIS would just ignore it if you left it on, since you don't have the battery its looking for.  Just ignore the battery icon.  I have one as well as I have the same situation.

Running a manual scan will not change the idle time scan.  Just be careful not to run the manual too close to the time of the idle time one or you may end up with both running.  You are quite correct in thinking that the idle time scan says it has never run because of the upgrade.  It will do the first 2010 scan in about  7 days.

Things seem to be going very well.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos2 Stats

I would turn on Early load. It may slow down your overall boot time but catching a virus before you boot into Windows is a great optioin.

Kudos0

Dieselman326 wrote:

I would turn on Early load. It may slow down your overall boot time but catching a virus before you boot into Windows is a great optioin.

Hello - alright - i just turned it on ...you make a good point !   i did turn-off ''identity safe' in web settings because i do no banking, etc.   Was that o.k ???   thanks for your help !!!   Edythe
Kudos0

delphinium wrote:

Hi EDYTHE:

The default settings are all good.  Turning the power saving to off on a PC is the way to go.  You only need it for laptops.  NIS would just ignore it if you left it on, since you don't have the battery its looking for.  Just ignore the battery icon.  I have one as well as I have the same situation.  Thank you soo muchhhh !!!! 

Running a manual scan will not change the idle time scan.  Just be careful not to run the manual too close to the time of the idle time one or you may end up with both running.  If i get 'careless' and don't check and run both at the same time what would happen - would i damage the computer/program, etc ?    You are quite correct in thinking that the idle time scan says it has never run because of the upgrade.  It will do the first 2010 scan in about  7 days.  ooohhhh it 'is' now showing as having 'run' !!! and ''complete' ... i think i may have manually started it by clicking on the cute icon on the right side of that area ... i have a tendency to 'touch' what i shouldn't at times !!!    (i need a 'busy-box' for adults !!! =if you ever had toddlers, you'll know the product i'm referring to - LOL)

Things seem to be going very well. i sure hope so ... There was a very kind tech who helped me via private -mail who gave me the courage & help  to do all these recent  updates/upgrades (ie 8/sp3/niss 2010)   ... i'd still be using smoke signals if it weren't for him !!  but you are all so great and helpful here...  ...i've gotten brave and maybe a little too 'overly confident' and then i panic !!!  LOL (thus this inquiry )  -- i replied to the other poster stating i did turn-off ''identity-safe' since i do no business/banking, etc. over the net ...  thanks again !!!!   Edythe

Kudos2 Stats

Hi EDYTHE:

Having them both run at the same time won't damage anything, but it will bung up your system for a while until they both get finished.

I think you are doing great!   Computers just cry out to be fooled with, and the more you fool with them, the better you get at fixing them. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

delphinium wrote:

Hi EDYTHE:

Having them both run at the same time won't damage anything, but it will bung up your system for a while until they both get finished.

I think you are doing great!   Computers just cry out to be fooled with, and the more you fool with them, the better you get at fixing them. 

Hello Delphinium......... WELL thank goodness i can't do too much damage if i 'double-run' a scan ...  thanks for the 'doing great' compliment ... trust me, with all these computer 'gymnastics' i recently went thru, i just gained a few more grey hairs !!  LOL ...  so i need 'rest' for a while ...   Thank you tho for your kind words:

OH PS ...when i said i clicked on the 'cute little icon' next to the ''idle full scan'' that hadn't yet run i said  the icon was on the 'right side' - i meant to say it was on the left side of '' full idle scan'' choice .... see what i mean? ... i'm getting dizzy - best i just leave this poor defenseless machine alone and call it a night !    Best and thanks again - Edythe

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.