• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

slow file/network access with Vista and Norton Internet Security 2009

I am experiencing a significant slowdown when sharing files over a home network. Here is the scenario:

5 computers: 3 have Vista sp2, 1 has Windows 7, 1 has XP sp3

All computers are running Norton Internet Security 2009.

1 of the Vista computers (host) is set up to share documents via the public folder.

When the XP computer accesses shared files on the Vista computer, there are no problems. But when using either the remaining Vista computers or Windows 7 computer to access the shared files on the Vista computer (host), there is a significant slowdown. It takes a long time for the file to open. From what I can tell, Norton is doing a full scan on the shared file before
it "downloads" it. For example, in Excel 2007 there is a status bar in the bottom right corner while the file opening/downloading over the network.

If I disable Norton autoprotect the problem goes away, but obviously this isn't the way to fix the problem.

I'm fairly certain this is as a result of the way Norton is interacting with Vista, but I have no idea how to fix it, other
than removing Norton and using another virus software.

All computers have the latest MS updates. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton, with no success. I have also replicated the issue all the other Vista computers, by setting them up as the "host" computer, to rule a problem specific to the original Vista computer - same problem occurs.

Is there a way to fix this problem, or is it just a function of Norton and Vista interacting poorly? Just to be clear, there are no issues when accessing the internet via the same shared router (all computers are hard wired to the same router). I also just added a Window 7 computer to the network, with Norton 2010, and the same problem occurs (the file eventually opens after a long lag/once scanning completes).

Norton is the biggest anti-virus company out there. I just can't believe this is a known issue that hasn't been fixed. So I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong. This never happened with XP, as described above. 

Thank you.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: slow file/network access with Vista and Norton Internet Security 2009

Hi ctc:

Have you ever tried sharing just two PC's (both Vista and with NIS 2009) via a simple ethernet hub?

Are you running any other Firewall and/or AV type software on these systems along with NIS?

I am curious if the same problem can be replicated in such a simple (and isolated) network.

Kindly advise.

Thanks.

Message Edited by Plankton on 12-17-2009 08:56 PM
      Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8
Kudos0

Hello,

I have tried sharing just two PCs, both running Vista and NIS 2009. It was done via a router, not an ethernet hub. But that shouldn't matter - the router is super fast, and worked fine with file sharing when I was running XP. 

There is no other AV software or firewalls installed. MS firewall is disabled. 

Any thoughts? Is this behavior normal, or is it isolated to my network? Right now that is my biggest question. From my perspective, it appears that NIS is treating each file opened off the network as a "downloaded" file, so it is doing a full scan on the file before it opens it. This is especially obvious in Excel and Word where you can see the progress bar in the bottom right corner (Office 2007). 

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi ctc:

I just tried a file transfer between two Vista-32 boxes running NIS 2010. No problems.

Yet all is ok with XP (SP3) <-> Vista (SP2) - no slowdown with NIS 2009 on both of your systems.

Are the TCP and NIS Firewall settings between the two Vista boxes identical?

Additionally, you could do a "Firewall Reset" on both systems, just to test.

VISTA PC <--> [ROUTER] <--> VISTA PC (no internet connection, just local)

Let us know. Thanks.

Message Edited by Plankton on 12-17-2009 10:00 PM
Kudos0

Hi, thanks for the response.

The TCP and NIS firewall settings are identical (NIS = default settings, shared security). 

Can you please clarify by what you mean on a "firewall reset?" 

Also, just curious, when you did your test file transfer, how did you access the files on the host computer? Did you use UNC (I currently access files via a UNC shortcut), or did you map the drive? I'm wondering if accessing files via a mapped drive will fix the problem? I had attempted to exclude the shared drive in autoprotect using the UNC address, but NIS wouldn't let me. Now I'm wondering if I map the drive and attempt to exclude it if that will work?  I won't be able to test this for a while due to the snow storm we're getting and I won't be at the network location for at least a week. 

In the mean time, please advise on the firewall reset and mapping vs UNC. 

Thank you.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi ctc:

Just go into Network settings in NIS and drill down under Smart Firewall until you find the selection for Firewall Reset.

"The Firewall Reset option resets firewall settings such as firewall rules and trust control settings. For example, if you reset the firewall, any custom rules or settings that you have configured are removed. All computer networks are removed from the trusted list and the restricted list in Trust Control. Therefore, Norton Internet Security prompts you with a confirmation dialog box when you reset the firewall."

As for file access, I also have mine configured with via the UNC, which works fine.

Let me know how you do.

P.S. Have *fun* in the snow!

Message Edited by Plankton on 12-19-2009 09:19 PM
Kudos0

Hello,

After a ton of testing/experimenting, I think I've given up. I've removed Norton and installed MIcrosoft Security Essentials, and the problem is now gone. For the record, here is what I did:

-restored NAV to all default settings, reset firewall

-uninstalled/reinstalled NAV

-somewhat narrowed the problem down to the issue occuring when the computers resume from sleep. if all the computers were off, then turned on, the problem did not occur. once a computer had been put to sleep and then woken up it had trouble with file access (very slow access to opening shared files). this happened with both a Vista and Window 7 computer. this was replicated across machines.

-at all times if I disabled "AntiVirus Auto-Protect" (right click on the norton icon in system tray) I have no problem accessing shared files, even if the computer has been sleeping.

Thanks for your help. I never had this problem with Norton and XP so who knows what the solution is.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.