• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

So how does one shut norton nis 2010 off?

Im sorry to ask such a dumb question but ocas" if I unhook the net and need to load programs or maintainance I want to shut norton

nis 2010 off, well I used the slide switches and told it to stay off till restart, they all were on red off.  Yet it began running maintainance

in background per notice on screen while I was doing other things!?

Okay so how then do I shut norton down entirely ?

I prefer not to do the whole safe mode thing...when doing maintainence. (should it be shut down for defrag by the way?)

thanks for help I guess Im not so smart as i thought LOL!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: So how does one shut norton nis 2010 off?

Its not designed to be turned off as your would wish. After all it is an av and security product and if it was that easy arguable malware could take advantage. You can disable firewall and av, you can turn off each setting within settings, or your can go to msconfig for example and turn off NOrton Internet Security service. However, I do not recommend this course of action. Rather one should examine why you are disconnecting the net to load a program!

Kudos0

No question is dumb, but this answer might be.

Have you tried going into 'Miscellaneous Settings' and turning ON 'Silent Mode'  ?

And clicking 'APPLY'.

When you turn it ON, after you click APPLY, a popup with dropdown let's you select up to 6 hrs.

During this time, it stops all Alerts and Background Activities.

Would this be long enough for you ?

Would this be good enough, or do you really want to switch it right OFF ?

Kudos0

Thank you for info, thought maybe I was missing some obvious button on the console. I did a search on here and in norton

and online but no straight answer so I posted, thanks for saying its not a dumb question LOL.

Well for instance when I was downloading and loading new norton it told me to disable old one, I think or am I dilusional LOL?

Or other times when running programs offline.

Is it ness' to turn it off when say...defrag'ing or running malware bytes (not real time) ?

If not well then okay.  I have used silent and turned them off all one at a time, guess I wasnt missing it LOL.

I didnt know I could do it in ms config, well makes sense just didnt think of it rather.

Thanks for input much appreciated.

Message Edited by artfreak on 01-09-2010 05:54 AMMessage Edited by artfreak on 01-09-2010 05:55 AM
Kudos2 Stats

Only when doing Service Pack maintenance or the like, it's advisable to turn off the Antivirus part of NIS.

For the rest, there is no reason to turn off NIS as a whole or parts of it, IMHO.

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Only the antivirus part needs turned off eh? Wow that makes life easier! I will try it next time thank you! 
Kudos0

Yes, and then only in the case of major maintenance, like Service Packs of Windows!! Not even for Office SP's or Windows Update.Message Edited by hvgsel on 09-01-2010 05:19 PM
W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Hi

Some programs will ask you to disable your antivirus program when you are downloading and installing them for a short period of time.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I don't use nor download programs that ask me to switch off antivirus or even firewall. They are suspected in the first place.
Kudos0

Hi artfreak:

Is your question one of curiosity, or are you having a problem of some kind?

I just want to be sure!

Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.