Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Solution to "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done" error
Like some others, I encountered the "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done" error five times on installing Ghost 15 in Windows 7 (64-bit). I read about possible workarounds. Here is what seems to have worked for me:
1. Remove the installation of Ghost 15 from Windows in the regular way (I did not use the removal tool).
2. Restart Windows
3. Create another user account in Windows, with Administrator privileges. I called mine "test"
4. Switch users to that new account
5. Install Ghost 15 in the test account
6. Switch users, back to your main account
7. Open the Security Configuration Tool (in Start -> All Programs -> Norton Ghost folder)
8. Add your main account to the list. Just putting your Windows user name there will work.
If you don't do steps 7 and 8, you will get the error about this user having "read-only privileges."
Now, Ghost does not complain, and all seems well.
Note: if you try to run Ghost after receiving the "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done" error, it may seem to run, but it will not back everything up. It will skip everything on the disk that is under your user name.
Like others, I am disappointed that I was forced to waste so many hours in finding this workaround. I spent three fruitless hours with chat-line support as well. Better testing please! Possible clue to the problem: my Windows account name has a space in it.