• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Is SONAR.Heuristic.120 a real threat?

Dear All,

I have hired an individual to develop a GUI program for me. The GUI program includes a server file and a client file (both are .exe files). Basically, I need to run the server file on my computer so that those who run the client file on their own computers can link to my server and take some quizzes.

When I scanned those .exe files with Norton 360, no virus was reported. However, if I executed the .exe files, they would both be blocked and quarantined by Norton 360 due to the "SONAR.Heuristic.120" threat, and the security risk level was HIGH.

I'm not sure whether this is because the program is self-developed and is very new and will allow other computers to connect to my computer, so it is reported as a high level of security threat. (In other words, is the "SONAR.Heuristic.120" threat just a precaution which Norton 360 will report for any new program of this kind?) Or, is it a real security threat?

Is it safe to run those two (server and client) .exe files? Please advise.

Thanks!

Labels: SONAR

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Is SONAR.Heuristic.120 a real threat?

Hi. This Norton KB article links to this detection.

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-011016...

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current
Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

A heuristic detection is based on a file's characteristics, behavior, and actions, unlike a signature detection where a file is positively identified as a match for a known threat.  Heuristics are prone to false positives.  While the situation you have would suggest that the files are probably safe, I would recommend submitting the .exe's to VirusTotal to see if they are known to be dangerous, just to be sure.

Kudos0

Thanks F4E and SendOfJive for your comments.

I think both .exe files are safe. Below is the reply I received from the person who composed the program for me.

--
Most likely, it is the action or request of TestServer.exe to collect data from local computer that catch the attention of Norton. For self-created exe file, it is normal that anti-virus software kills the process by mistake.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.