• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Spam/not spam buttons not active since latest Office 365 update

Norton Security 22.10.0.85

Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.8229.2086) 32-bit

Since the latest update to Office 365, the manual "This is spam" and "This is not spam" buttons are disabled. The toolbar is still there, it's those two buttons that are not working. I rebooted the computer, ran the Norton fixup program, checked the Outlook side to make sure the COM is installed and active, and checked the settings on the Norton side to make sure it's enabled there.

I had a chat with Norton Support, and the agent told me that Norton Antispam would only work if my POP3 connections were configured for ports 110 and 25. The agent directed me to contact my ISP.

Well, I'm actually using four different account with different mail servers. None of them use those "standard" ports anymore. On top of that, the manual buttons should work even when I'm not connected to a server, so I can't see how my POP3 configurations should interfere. They operate directly on the local message store, don't they?

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Spam/not spam buttons not active since latest Office 365 update

JerrySNB  Indeed only POP3 is supported. Please refer to this article:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v115546062_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

I accept that AntiSpam only listens to certain ports when scanning incoming mail. I presume that's the way it's been for a long time, and I'm used to it. In fact, I don't trust any spam filtering software, so I always review the messages anyways.

That's beside the point.

The buttons on the Norton AntiSpam toolbar that the plugin adds to Outlook 2016 have always worked. As of a few days ago, they don't work anymore. They stopped working after an Office 365 update.

The menu item and toolbar are still there; but the "This is Spam" and "This is not Spam" buttons do not work. They are inactive. See the attached screen grab.

Kudos0

Jerry, per the article I aforementioned have you attempted to ADD the ports for those accounts to the protected ports listing as it outlines? On the client integration tab have you clicked "register add-in" in blue lettering that is just to the right? Please see my screenshots.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Kudos0

I have registered the addin multiple times.

My email providers use port 995 for POP3 and 465 for SMTP.

Norton AntiSpam does not let me add 995 or 465. I get the message "This port is used by programs other than the supported email programs. It cannot be added to the list of protected e-mail ports."

These providers use SSL/TSL encryption, which is not supported by Norton AntiSpam for obvious reasons. That might have something to do with not being able to add the ports.

My question, though, was prompted by the fact that the buttons for manually handling spam stopped working.

I suppose it really doesn't matter. I can just delete the messages. I was using the Norton buttons to educate Norton's central ruleset, thinking I was benefitting others.

I'll just uninstall the AntiSpam addin. It's not doing me any good.

Kudos0

We have the answer to at least one aspect of this. Validate your port findings on my end as well as I have never had to add ports before. The limitations on protected ports are baked into NIS never the less and not something that will be added back anytime soon. If ever. Wondering why that feature is even there in the first place really if its of no use.

Regarding the buttons issue. I would reinstall the product, backing up the data files and .pst files before doing so. If for no other reason than to lay that to rest as a possible fix in the event it did fix the issue. That would be a call on your part but recommended from my point of view.

Cheers,

SoulAsylum

Kudos0

Since I'm not getting any active spam filtering, the delete key is as good as anything else and won't take time to load.

I don't know why the port limitation exists, but the SSL problem is probably a function of where the Norton shim fits. Outlook probably handles the decryption. If the Norton shim sits between Outlook and the incoming traffic then it can't see the content of the messages. Since it can't do that, it can't filter them.

I had never thought about it, but if I had I would have expected the shim to be inserted after the decryption.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.