• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Standalone version of Norton Identity Safe (2014) no longer unavailable

I'm kinda stuck in a bind here because I just saw the announcement about Norton discontinuing IDSS without warning. Does anyone know where I can get an older copy of the installer?

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: Standalone version of Norton Identity Safe (2014) no longer unavailable

Check your PMs.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

delete

Kudos0

I don't understand the announcement. Does this mean?

a) Norton Identity Safe for Windows is discontinued

b) Norton Identity Safe for Windows, iOS, Android is discontinued

c) Norton Identity Safe is only available if you purchase a Norton security package

d) Norton Identity Safe standalone on PCs is is discontinued, but the Firefox, Chrome extensions continue to be supported and downloadable without additional Norton software

I'm grateful for to Norton for letting me use this software for the last few years for free, but I'm wondering how to move on.  The browser extensions no longer work on my pc so it looks as if moving on means migrating to another software. But maybe I'm not interpreting the announcement properly.

Tom

Kudos0

Hi Tom,

As I understand the announcement,

ictag:

I don't understand the announcement. Does this mean?

a) Norton Identity Safe for Windows is discontinued

NO

b) Norton Identity Safe for Windows, iOS, Android is discontinued

NO

c) Norton Identity Safe is only available if you purchase a Norton security package

YES and NO - ID Safe is still available as part of the download of Norton package.  However it is no longer available, nor supported as the standalone version.

d) Norton Identity Safe standalone on PCs is is discontinued, but the Firefox, Chrome extensions continue to be supported and downloadable without additional Norton software

Actually the standalone version download is discontinued, as is the support for it- meaning it will still function - until some technical advancement makes it incompatible. 

I'm grateful for to Norton for letting me use this software for the last few years for free, but I'm wondering how to move on.  The browser extensions no longer work on my pc so it looks as if moving on means migrating to another software. But maybe I'm not interpreting the announcement properly.

Actually by purchasing a Norton product would permit you to continue using your current ID Safe Vault nd laos provide the full Norton protection.  Other users have given LastPass high ratings.

Tom

Please remember I am a user, the same as you are and this is just my 2¢ worth. 

Kudos0

Thank you Yank, for historical reasons I use different security software so I'll have to rethink. I guess the browser extensions require Safe Vault standalone to be present so that wouldn't be a solution. And using only the mobile app would be uncomfortable. Tom

Kudos0

I guess the browser extensions require Safe Vault standalone to be present so that wouldn't be a solution. And using only the mobile app would be uncomfortable. Tom

Not necessarily. The vault is stored online, and is accessible in a number of ways. You can always log into   https://identitysafe.norton.com   to access the vault logins. 

The Firefox and Chrome extensions were not downloaded from the Identity Safe web site, but from the Mozilla and Google extension pages. There was no connection to the code in the Standalone ID Safe. There has been no mention of these features being removed. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks Peterweb,

Sounds like if I could figure out how to get the Identity safe (with the Norton toolbar) extensions working in chrome or firefox I'd bee good to go. Failed again just now so I'll try something else for the time-being.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.