• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Strange appearance of Norton 2010 taskbar icon

I noticed that the Norton 2010 taskbar icon had changed appearance from what I'm used to seeing. Instead of the yellow circle behind the smaller green cirlce with a white tick in it, the yellow part of the icon had a different appearance a bit similar to an astrological sign with a kind of crescent moon shape sat upon a letter 'T' shape that was on it's side. This has disapeared now I have re-booted my computer, but does anyone know what this was, sorry I cannot provide a better description. I thought it might be when Norton is performing pulse updates, but I never noticed it before now. It is odd that it changed appearance as the only time I ever notice it change appearance is when the monthly report is ready, and that is a totally different appearance, having a blue square shape over yellow circle. Hmmm, very strange a couple of weeks ago I had a small white square appear under the 'star' icon in the address bar of Firefox, that disapeared also after I re-started Firefox. My computer appears to be going all twilight zone on me. Cue the spooky music.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Strange appearance of Norton 2010 taskbar icon

HI reactivate

This is the symbol that appears when NIS has gone into Silent Mode e.g. if you are using a movie player or some other program that is a Full-screen program then NIS will automatically go into silent mode and not disturb you with messages. When it does that its system tray icon changes to what you are seeing.

Yaso_Kuuhl posted a picture of the icon here

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Product-Ideas/Different-icon-for-Silent-Mode/idi-p/247783

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos1 Stats

Hi reactivate,

As mdturner has said, the mysterious icon stands for Silent Mode and was recently described as a banana (in addition to eyebrows and a spider)  ;-)

If you open NIS 2010, go to "Help & Support" and to "Help", then you can call up the Norton Help Center and it will give you the following information on Silent Mode and when it is triggered; you are perfectly right about the icon supposing to display a crescent moon - it is confirmed in the copied description below :-)

Norton Internet Security provides many solutions and features to handle viruses and other security threats. Norton Internet Security displays alerts and notifications to inform you how viruses and other security threats are detected and resolved. When you perform important tasks on your computer, you likely prefer not to receive any alert messages. Norton Internet Security suppresses alerts and notifications and temporarily suspends most of the background activities based on the type of Silent Mode that is turned on.

Norton Internet Security has following types of Silent Mode:

Silent Mode

The Silent Mode that you manually turn on for a specified duration.

Full Screen Detection

The Silent Mode that Norton Internet Security turns on automatically when it detects a full-screen application and turns off when you stop using the full-screen application.

Quiet Mode

The Silent Mode that Norton Internet Security turns on automatically when it detects a disk burning task or a Media Center TV recording task. Norton Internet Security also turns on Quiet Mode automatically when you run a program that you included in the Quiet Mode Programs list. Norton Internet Security turns off Quiet Mode when the disk burning session or TV program recording session is complete. Norton Internet Security also turns off Quiet Mode when it stops detecting running instances of the programs that you included in the Quiet Mode Programs list.

The Norton Internet Security icon displays the turn-on status of Silent Mode in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar. The icon changes to a crescent-shaped icon when Silent Mode is turned on. Norton Internet Security also notifies you after Silent Mode is turned off.

You can view the summary of the Silent Mode sessions under the Recent History, Full History, and Silent Mode categories in the Security History window.

• The turn on or turn off status of Silent Mode
  • The type of Silent Mode, such as Silent Mode or Quiet Mode
  • The type of program that turns on Silent Mode, such as disk burning or TV recording
  • The name of a user-specified program that turns on Silent Mode
  • The time and date when Silent Mode is turned on or turned off

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Thanks guys that is the icon. There is just one problem, I was not running any program when this happened, nor was I using any cd/dvd/burner drive, I am 100% sure of that, so why did Norton go into silent mode? Is there a way I can find out what it was that caused my computer to go into silent mode?
Kudos2 Stats

Hi reactivate,

The only way to find out what triggered Silent Mode is to open NIS 2010, go to "History" and then choose "Silent Mode" from the menu indicated next to "Show".

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos1 Stats

Hmmm.  The Silent Mode entries in History are not cooperating.  The more details button is greyed out and there appears to be no information on what program it was that was using it.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos1 Stats

I get same thing on my Win 7 system when I look at Silent Mode entries. All it says is "a progam entered silent mode - silent mode is on" but does not allow for "more details".

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos1 Stats

Ditto here. This looks like a bug in NIS. At the very least it should tell you which program caused Silent Mode to kick in.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

I would appreciate it if a symantec employee would give some answers to this, it needs looking into.
Kudos1 Stats

reactivate wrote:
I would appreciate it if a symantec employee would give some answers to this, it needs looking into.

Hi reactivate,

I have reported this issue to Symantec and passed along your request.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thanks AllenM

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.