• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

symquald high CPU usage after upgrading to Sierra 10.12.5

What's this Norton process and why is it constantly using 25-35% of CPU even there is no scanning going on?

This behaviour started after upgrading to 10.12.5.​

Replies

Kudos0

Re: symquald high CPU usage after upgrading to Sierra 10.12.5

And todays offending process using one thread's worth of CPU without any scanning activity going on.

Norton is really killing the battery life of my MacBook. Any fix? 

Kudos0

Solution seems to be uninstalling Norton and not renewing my subscription. 

Kudos0

...and before I could uninstall, I restarted and now it's even worse. I'm "at risk" and I can't open anything. The About dialog is the only thing I can get to open and even that doesn't work as it displays "Unknown" for all fields.

This has actually happened before and the only solution was to uninstall (and lose settings) and then reinstall. I find it unbelievable and totally unacceptable from Norton to provide this kind of product (beyond bad) and this kind of service (i.e. nothing at all).

--> Every time I see this dialog I rage because the "click here" links leads just to the reinstall instructions.

Sometimes I can't get even the "At risk" screen to open, instead this just happens:

Kudos0

Hi @allua,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for reporting this issue. I've passed it on to the team and they are looking into it.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

The NFMWPS high cpu usage mentioned in this thread has been a long standing issue since at least 2016, that needs to be addressed.  Additional mention here: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/nfmwps-issues

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.