• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

There needs to be an option at boot up time for LiveUpdate for definitions. Please read! I am a Norton 360 user.

I do not run my Windows PC 24/7. My PC is powered completely down when not in use to prevent the board components & peripherals from excessive wear and tear during the time it is not used. There are more than one user in my household and we all power off when not in use. I am am sure I am not alone in my user habits, as there are other people in the community that power off when not in use. I have fast internet, so idle time is not an issue for updates interrupting my user experience. 

Please correct me if I am wrong here but when the PC boots up NIS does a boot scan, then windows starts and then user logs in. After the PC goes idle from the user, it is only then that LiveUpdate checks for new definition updates, etc.

My concern is that ANY PC just booting up could have not been powered on for any length of time, maybe weeks for some homes. Not all users are aware that definitions are current or not.  Maybe they just assume that the PC has loaded the new definitions and continues to access the internet and quickly check email accounts, social networks, etc. before the PC goes idle. In fact they may hurry to power off the PC and go on with their day. They do 30 minutes of busy activity and the PC never goes idle for LiveUpdate to work automatically. This type of activity could go on for days without getting the proper LiveUpdate automation to update NIS definitions and patches.

In my experience working with NIS, every time I boot up I have to manually run LiveUpdate before proceeding to do any activity.  About 95% of the time there are new updates for Norton. Why can't I have an option so that the PC will do this at user log in automatically? Being protected with latest updates before proceeding to use the internet is more important than a delayed boot time or user log in in my opinion, so I would like to have that option. Additionally, I realize some people want fast boot time, but I really want my PC to be running the latest definitions for all users BEFORE they proceed to internet, email, and social media accounts

Please advise if it is possible to configure my current version to accommodate my needs, or if will be implemented in the future for NIS.

Labels: LiveUpdate

Replies

Kudos0

Re: There needs to be an option at boot up time for LiveUpdate for definitions. Please read! I am a Norton 360 user.

The future of NIS is already here... sorry yank !

Norton Security employs the cloud so that it is always up to date.   You may do what we all do at boot with NIS/N360/NAV.  Run LU and you may change timer for Tasks in Settings.   Settings > General > Norton Tasks

N360 is EOA.  Meaning N360 is not available for new sales.  You may still renew through your product.  New offering is Norton Security / Norton Security with Backup 

Norton Security  ~  The New Norton Permalink
Features of Norton Security Permalink
System Requirements for NS Permalink
Subscription information re NS Can I use Norton Security or Norton Security with Backup with my Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, or Norton 360 Subscription?

Norton Security (no backup) is akin to Norton 360 and NSwBU is akin to N360 Premium (25GB backup)
Norton Security has Tune-up tools ~ (registry cleaner dropped with NS)

Norton Security addresses the issue of first-day exploits with a cloud-based approach. By comparing scan results to real-time definition updates, Norton can warn you about potentially malicious files making their way around the Web. Also, the cloud-based scans mean Norton Security has been able to shrink the size of the local definition to a fraction of what it used to be. The antivirus still keeps a small local definition to watch out for prevalent troublemakers, in case you want to perform offline scans.

Symantec added a number of under-the-hood enhancements that should, in theory, offer even better protection than the previous edition. Among these are fast classification using sample clustering, automated generic definitions, real-time cloud lookup of all scanned files, and a new behavioral signature engine.

Norton Security is a cross platform service ~ features vary by platform
Here are Product Manuals to compare.
NS offers 5 user/devices   NSwBackup offers 10 user/devices
You may consider a Trial to help you decide http://us.norton.com/downloads
Please post back if you need install advice or how to retain the Local Vault
You may review the Norton Security Forum to see what others are saying.
What is Norton Virus Protection Promise?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469519,00.asp (link is external)Permalink  & Permalink & Norton video tutorials

There is no direct upgrade path at this time.  User will have to purchase / install / activate NS / NSwBU for Norton Support to add remaining days from current Norton product. 

Kudos0

Re: There needs to be an option at boot up time for LiveUpdate for definitions. Please read! I am a Norton 360 user.

LiveUpdate checks for updates every hour, regardless of idle time.  You can set the Automatic Tasks Delay to 1 minute in order to have background tasks, which include LiveUpdate, start early after booting up.  I would not worry too much about this.  In this age of polymorphic malware, protections other than signature detection shoulder much of the responsibility to block new threats.

Kudos0

Kudos0

My AV works fine

Kudos0

The subscription I have is another 90 days. I will upgrade to new version when the time comes.

Kudos0

Hi, dbowen. As bjm_ says, you can purchase NS or NSwB, which is closest to 360, and Support will add the remaining subscription days from your 360 product.

If you do it that way, you can upgrade at any time.

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.