• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Is there a way to stop NAV 2011 from automatically resolving 'High-Risk' threats?

I am a developer and security auditor who has recently switched over to Norton. Certain tools and files which I use are known backdoors, trojans or exploits.

On Kaspersky I was able to set the software to notify me whenever it has detected a threat, and I would review each object and make the call on whether it was legitimate or not. NAV 2011 on the other hand, automatically quarantines all of these, and the only option I am presented going forward is to either permanently delete them, or to restore them, at which point they would be detected by auto-protect and re-quarantined.

I could have missed something, but is there a setting on NAV such that it "ask(s) me every time" it encounters a threat?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Is there a way to stop NAV 2011 from automatically resolving 'High-Risk' threats?

Hi

Currently thier is no way but symantec is considering to provide an option to users regarding the removal of high risk items

If you wish to have the option please take a loot at this idea

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Product-Ideas/Let-the-user-decide-whether-or-not-to-quarantine-a-file/idi-p/307052

Midou
Kudos0

Re: Is there a way to stop NAV 2011 from automatically resolving 'High-Risk' threats?

Please hang on for futher suggestions.

I don't have any background on exclusions but you may be able to exclude specific locations if the "non-threats" are or can be located in specific folders.

I know I've run into this kind of problem when I downloaded a copy of a reputable file to make a bootable linux CD and one of the tools was a key decrypter for the old, no longer used Compuserve log-on passwords.

See what others have to suggest.

Hugh
Kudos0

Personally I feel that exclude locations is a work-around. Illegitimate malware reading/writing files to an excluded location would consequently be ignored.

As in the feature suggestion by BanMidou, per-file exclusions decided within a prompt seems to be the best way forward, though for the present, I really hope some one has a better way. 

Cheers :)

Kudos0

In all fairness to Symantec, it 's goal was to develop a security product for a non-technical user and to minimize his risk in using the product. In that regard, I think Symantec has suceeded. However, the product is far from perfect and improvements are needed.

For IT techs like myself and others from what I can glean from the forum posts, this product is extremely frustrating to use. I am constantly being "hamstrung" by it. I will probably return to Comodo which I used previously when my current Norton subscription expires.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.