• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos7 Stats

Tom's Guide Norton Security 2015 Review

Hello

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/norton-security,review-2550.html

Please take a look at this review for some nice things said and parts of program explained. Test results also.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Tom's Guide Norton Security 2015 Review

floplot
Thanks ~ That's a good write up.  Even with the Two caveats: AV-TEST's August evaluations were performed on Windows 7, whereas this review was done on a Windows 8 machine. Because Norton Security 2015 was not yet available, AV-TEST examined Norton Internet Security 2014. Because both programs use the same antivirus engine, the scores should be comparable.

Kudos0

Kudos to you 'floplot', I don't have Ns yet, still on NIS 2014, but found this very a informative read.

Kudos0

One of the complaints was Norton didn't have a secure browser. I don't know of many other AVs that do.  Avast pushes Chrome and Comodo AV offers a stripped down version of Chrome with no included Flash player. "Comodo Dragon" version lags regular Chrome updates and the fixes for security Chrome releases. That makes Dragon less secure than the regular Chrome as far as I can see.        Have to agree the tests on a different operating system that the one being used aren't as meaningful.

Kudos0

Thanks for posting floplot. Nice review.

"Top Safe Web Reviewer with over 23,000 Reviews."
Kudos1 Stats

jim123:

One of the complaints was Norton didn't have a secure browser.

I posted product suggestion for Safe Pay Technology  and / or Safe Money Technology
I'd like Norton to have a hardened browser environment for financial traffic.  Not getting any traction on my suggestion though

Kudos0

bjm_:
jim123:

One of the complaints was Norton didn't have a secure browser.

I posted product suggestion for Safe Pay Technology  and / or Safe Money Technology
I'd like Norton to

have a hardened browser environment for financial traffic.  Not getting any traction on my suggestion though

I appreciate your comment. Did not understand the reviewer's criticism.

FWIW: I used to use a well-know security suite with a "Safe Browser."  It never worked right and often prevented me from completing a transaction. It made no difference if I "disabled it." It was always on. (I believe the reason for that is that it seemed to have a "safe browser" and a "safe-pay banking browser."One of which could not be disabled apparently.

I would never use online banking - I think that anyone who does, no matter how secure a browser or bank claims to be, is taking a huge risk. I know it is a popular convenience, but I will not accept such a risk merely for convenience or to save the bank some expenses. For whatever on-line purchases I make I use a highly respected and accepted  re-loadable prepaid debit mastercard that I bought at a drug store,so I consider no safe browser a plus :-)

LOL- I have a partial handicap so not using online banking is very inconvenient. I do use ATMs to withdraw cash. Two years ago my bank was taken-over by another bank and issued new ATM cards. I only recently realized that the ATM card that it issues is also a Mastercard debit card, so the jokes on me,since the vast majority of ATMs in the US run on Windows XP, now making them highly susceptible to exploits and skimmers :-(

Kudos0

hok:
bjm_:   FWIW: I used to use a well-know security suite with a "Safe Browser."  It never worked right and often prevented me from completing a transaction.

So, I'll consider that a NO re my suggestion.      Surely, Norton Secure Money environment would be a vast improvement.  I have to get a new PR agent. 

Kudos0

bjm_:
hok:
bjm_:   FWIW: I used to use a well-know security suite with a "Safe Browser."  It never worked right and often prevented me from completing a transaction.

So, I'll consider that a NO re my sN

suggestion.      Surely, Norton Secure Money environment would be a vast improvement.  I have to get a new PR agent. 

Nope, not a no. Just an anecdote. A safe browser that works correctly is fine with me.

(The Kudo you received was from me :-)

BTW-FWIW: I was writing and posting an edit to my post as you posted this

Kudos0

hok:
bjm_:   The Kudos you received was from me :-)

Too late, I already fired my PR guy.  

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.