• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Trouble with Norton 360 and Windows Live Messenger

Hi there,

I have a unique problem that I still can't find a solution to. I just got a new Sony Vaio CS36GJ laptop with Vista 64bit and bought a norton 360 v3.0.0.135 for it. As I didn't like the newer Windows Live Messenger (e.g WLM 8.5 onwards), I'm using the oldest possible WLM available now which is 8.1. The problem I'm facing now is that after I've set up my entire laptop, I had problems signing into the messenger where it would take minutes instead of seconds and the contacts would take forever to load. Other problems I noticed would be a general slowing down of my laptop periodically. I searched for a conflict and after a reformat of my brand new laptop, I narrowed down to the Auto-protect function of the Norton 360. When the auto-protect function is off (which triggers the alarm for norton to be fixed), the messenger works fine and this is confirmed before even installing norton 360. I've tested with nothing else installed and it came down to norton's auto-protect. The moment its enabled, the messenger suffers the same issue again. I've tried the auto-protect exclusion of of the messenger's .exe file and the entire folder but it would work only once right after I apply and then reoccur subsequently.

I was just wondering, if theres any definite way to push the auto-protect to always ignore the messenger folder or the .exe file so it can be run properly since turning off auto-protect totally would defeat the purpose of having norton in the first place.

My old laptop running NIS with autoprotect works perfectly with this WLM 8.1 so I got half a mind to buy a new NIS and save the hours of trying to find a way but if anyone has any idea kindly let me know please?

Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Trouble with Norton 360 and Windows Live Messenger

Hi there,

I have a unique problem that I still can't find a solution to. I just got a new Sony Vaio CS36GJ laptop with Vista 64bit and bought a norton 360 v3.0.0.135 for it. As I didn't like the newer Windows Live Messenger (e.g WLM 8.5 onwards), I'm using the oldest possible WLM available now which is 8.1. The problem I'm facing now is that after I've set up my entire laptop, I had problems signing into the messenger where it would take minutes instead of seconds and the contacts would take forever to load. Other problems I noticed would be a general slowing down of my laptop periodically. I searched for a conflict and after a reformat of my brand new laptop, I narrowed down to the Auto-protect function of the Norton 360. When the auto-protect function is off (which triggers the alarm for norton to be fixed), the messenger works fine and this is confirmed before even installing norton 360. I've tested with nothing else installed and it came down to norton's auto-protect. The moment its enabled, the messenger suffers the same issue again. I've tried the auto-protect exclusion of of the messenger's .exe file and the entire folder but it would work only once right after I apply and then reoccur subsequently.

I was just wondering, if theres any definite way to push the auto-protect to always ignore the messenger folder or the .exe file so it can be run properly since turning off auto-protect totally would defeat the purpose of having norton in the first place.

My old laptop running NIS with autoprotect works perfectly with this WLM 8.1 so I got half a mind to buy a new NIS and save the hours of trying to find a way but if anyone has any idea kindly let me know please?

Thanks!

Kudos0

Re: Trouble with Norton 360 and Windows Live Messenger

kenshi

I would like to make a suggestion please.

turn anti-virus auto protect on 

run task manager - note the entries

run windows live messenger

wait for everything to load, add 2 minutes

close windows live messenger

re-examine task manager and advise if there are any entries which were not present before running wlm

thank you

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.