• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Turn off N360 while migrating to new Hard Drive?

Hi,

I need to migrate my PC to a new hard drive, as Windows (XP Home) is in a  really bad state now and needs re-installing, and the system drive is getting full anyway. I have lots of installed software, so I don't want to re-install everything 'from the ground up', and have to re-register everything.  I'm using Zinstall to migrate the software and settings, and will have my new system (target) drive (with a clean install of Windows already in place) in the PC, with the old system (source) drive in an external caddy connected by USB.

But I'm instructed by Zinstall to at least turn off Norton 360 - or preferably uninstall it - to prevent it from interfering with the migration process. I'd prefer not to uninstall it, but the options for temporary turning off, with a maximum duration of 5 hours before it reactivates, are not long enough.

First question: If I select 'Permanently', does that really mean 'permanently' or just until I manually re-activate it?

Second question: If the worst comes to the worst and I have to uninstall, I don't think I have my installer still - lost that in an unrelated HD failure recently. Can I  re-download my installer from my Norton account?

Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Turn off N360 while migrating to new Hard Drive?

1. Selecting Permanently does just mean until you manually restart the protection.

2. If you need to reinstall your product you can log into your Norton Account at  https://manage.norton.com From there you click on the Services tab and find your current product subscription. Then click on the Download button. This will download and install a pre activated copy of your product.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I can confirm about "Permanently" since I've used it when I couldn't be bothered to try and decide how long ..... but make sure you remember to turn it back on.

If you are transferring via hard wired internet and have a router between you and the internet, I'd be inclined to uninstall N360 (or any other security program) if you are using some form of automated transfer since it's unlikely to do it successfully with N360 or any other security program that is so tightly integrated with the operating system.

NOTE THIS HOWEVER

I had a look at a review of Zinstall at

http://pc-migration-software-review.toptenreviews.com/zinstall-winwin-review.html

And it says you can't select files and folders AND it says you have to have an internet connection although another review indicates that is not live over wireless but Ethernet cable connected which would be much faster and safer..

Because the software requires download on both systems and internet activation.......

Although I read elsewhere that you can use a hard drive as an intermediary.

One review says there is no way to undo a faulty transfer except a restore .....

Are you going XP to XP or can you go to a more modern Windows OS?

Please do let us know how it goes....

Hugh
Kudos0

I'm using Zinstall to migrate the software and settings, and will have my new system (target) drive (with a clean install of Windows already in place) in the PC, with the old system (source) drive in an external caddy connected by USB.

Sorry I missed the part about having the clean install waiting for the transfer. You will not just be able to transfer your program files to the new drive and expect them to run. They need to be installed with the program installers so that the Windows registry gets the necessary entries.

What I first thought you were doing was an image transfer of the old drive to the new.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Peter

I unfortunately missed this CNet Zinstall

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/zinstall-looking-for-info-experiences-616084/ 

I hope grafyx has better luck than some who reported. As we know here we get some comments that seem extreme but I found this, the first one, pretty straightforward and believable:

by wpgwpg / April 4, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

I have a friend who just bought a new Windows 7 desktop. The store he bought it from is going to use Zinstall to move all his data and applications from the old Vista PC to the new PC, he tells me. ....

continuing in another message

I'm still just getting bits & pieces of feedback from my neighbor who tried Z-install, but here's what I've learned so far. His old PC apparently had some form of registry corruption which Z-install transferred to the brand new Dell desktop along with all his apps. The apps were fine, but he spent a couple of weeks with tech support getting things working.   

So anything wrong with the source computer goes across to the new one which rather defeats the purpose of grafyx's reason for doing it?

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.