• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Unable to send email - 550 this message was classified as spam

I am currently unable to send email due to Norton. Every single email I send out through a Norton monitored machine gives me a "550 This message was classified as SPAM and may not be delivered" message. It's not my ISP as I'm able to send an email using a web client through my ISP with no issues. I'm also able to send email using my phone on my wireless network through the same ISP with no issues. Norton, on my local machine, is blocking EVERYTHING! I tried help with the Norton Chat folks (Praveen Alur) and he was no help - told me 1) That he HAD to log onto my machine to Fix - I'm not letting an unknown person on my machine remotely; 2) I needed to uninstall and reinstall Norton - but couldn't tell me where the issue is; 3) find a directory that doesn't exist on my machine (c:\program files\Microsoft\signature) and then berated me when I told him it doesn't exist on windows 7 and proved it; 3) would have a supervisor call me because "Since you are not satisfied and I will go ahead and arranged an call back from my Supervisor within next 24-48 hour" because I was patronized and couldn't find a directory that doesn't exist on my PC. This began happening a week ago for absolutely no reason. I checked Spamhaus and my domain isn't on there. My ISP (ATT) doesn't have me blacklisted. The only blocking I'm getting is because of Norton. Need help immediately!

[Edit: Removed attachment that contained personally identifiable information to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Unable to send email - 550 this message was classified as spam

What email client are you using?

This link might help: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100811171...

You might want to check your SMTP outgoing authentication settings too. Make sure that "outgoing email server requires authentication" is enabled.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.16.x
Kudos0

I'm using the Outlook client. Nothing has changed on my machines- I was able to send email last week and now I cannot. As an additional note I turned off outbound email scanning and am still getting the Norton pop up that email is blocked.
Kudos0

Have you tried what chat support suggested?

This link provides a tool that'll remove and reinstall Norton. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_End...

It wouldn't hurt to check your SMTP settings in Outlook. Your ISP might've changed the outgoing server requirement. Outlook and your web mail could have different settings.
Kudos0

The only thing they suggested was a reinstall. That doesn't address the root cause and will give me no assurance that it won't happen again.
Kudos0

Here is a link to check Outlook's SMTP settings; http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570&cv=812

Generally like the chat tech and also my first link said. "If the ISP rejects an outgoing email immediately, your Norton product carries the message. But the message is really from the ISP."

Like I said above just because email is successfully delivered via web mail doesn't mean that it's Norton. Web mail and Outlook can have different settings.
Kudos0

Another thing to try would be to open Norton, click settings, click anti-spam and turn off anti-spam OR client integration.
Kudos0

It's not blocked by my ISP and that's been verified. Additionally, email is not blocked through my phone which is on the same network, using the same settings as my machine. What's the larger implications of turning off the AntiSpam or Client Integration options?
Kudos0

Aaron M. Reiff:
What's the larger implications of turning off the AntiSpam or Client Integration options?

Sorry I should've said to try those things as a test. If you turn them off and then try to send email using Outlook as a test. To see if the emails would send successfully or still give you an error.

It's not blocked by my ISP and that's been verified. Additionally, email is not blocked through my phone which is on the same network, using the same settings as my machine.

I'm fairly certain Outlook isn't on your phone. Have you verified that all of your settings in Outlook are as your ISP would like them to be?

I think the chat tech suggested a removal/reinstall to see if that would fix the problem. It wouldn't hurt to try it. With removal/reinstall your Norton settings remain intact. The more drastic step would be to use Norton Removal Tool where you could delete the settings.

Kudos0

The 550 is an SMTP error code, which means that the messages are being rejected by an email service provider's server.  So Norton is not blocking the messages, and if you have disabled outbound email scanning, then Norton isn't doing anything with the messages.  If you are able to send through webmail, it may be something the email client is adding to the messages.  Are you sending all of the messages to one address?  Are you sending a lot of messages at the same time?  If you have a signature that contains a lot of information, try removing some of the signature content to see if something in the signature is tripping a spam filter. 

I realize that being able to send from other devices may make it appear to be a Norton issue, but the 550 error is definitely being returned by a server rejecting your messages for some reason.

Kudos0

the 550 pop up is coming from Norton before the message leaves my machine - see the pdf in my ticket. I'm not getting a bounce back from my server - only from Norton on my local machine.
Kudos0

Norton displays the message it intercepts from the email server in a Norton window because Norton sits between the server and your email client.  Were Norton not installed, your email client would display the rejection message.  The fact that Norton displays the message does not implicate Norton as the cause of the message.

Norton does not block outgoing messages.

Kudos0

Hello Aaron

I am going to flag your attachment containing the error messages. Unfortunately, it's the weekend and I don't think anything will be done about it. It's too late for you to edit your first attachment also.

550 is definitely a code used by a email client. It could be either your ISP's email server or it could be the recipient's email server who has done it. You can do a Google search of that 550 error code and you will see an explanation about it if you still think it is from Norton. It could even be a mistake on the part of some server connected with your ISP or some ISP.

What O/S and which Outlook version are you using?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.3.21 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

In his first post he mentioned his ISP is AT&T. I provided this link from AT&T that shows the settings to use for various email clients (all versions of Outlook) http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570&cv=812

His operating system is Windows 7.

Like SoJ said it could be the subject line, signature or whom he's sending to. The chat tech was asking him to delete the signature folder in program data but the folder wasn't there. So I'm assuming he doesn't use a signature.

@Aaron try sending an email with the following;

Subject: Hi Message body: Test (no other text) See if that successfully sends. If not, do you have another email account in Outlook to try from? If so, try from that account and see what the results are. I noticed the "From" address is from a website. Maybe try your AT&T email from Outlook.

When I go to https://tribearchery.com/ Safari said "could not verify server identity" that could be one reason the emails are rejected. You may need to contact the webmaster or host to see if they can sort the issue.

Kudos0

Hi Aaron,

I understand your frustration. After all you have paid for software whose features should work as advertised. Most security suites have a long history of issues with spam filters. Norton Security is still behind ISPs. It “protects” ports 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3 which are actually obsolete. There is a field where you are supposed to add ports, yet it does not work. If you try to add a port, you get an error notification that the port is being used by other programs. I myself do not use this feature because it has never functioned (Windows 7 32 bit, outlook 2013). Therefore I have disabled it permanently. However, you cannot prevent LiveUpdate from continuing to download spam definitions which are in this case rubbish on your HD/SSD.

You are right, uninstallation and reinstallation of Norton using the Remove and Reinstall Tool is not a universal remedy. At times it leads to success, often it does not. Try to disable the AntiSpam add-in, restart outlook and test > enable the add-in, restart outlook and test.

Otherwise you stress that your data in your outlook account still comply with the requirements of your ISP. Nothing has changed. So it seems likely there is a related bug which has to be fixed. It could be helpful if an administrator or a “Guru” would forward the issue to the developers, technical support or whomever they could reach.

Eventually you have 2 possibilities, either disable AntiSpam and wait until Norton patch their flaw, or use another security suite.

In addition to disabling AntiSpam you could try the following, before you ditch Norton:

Go to Settings > Antivirus > Scans and Risks > to the right of Email Antivirus Scan click Configure > uncheck scan outgoing email messages and scan outgoing messages for suspected worms > for duration check permanently. Save your changes and test. You will get a ridiculously scary notification that your security were at risk, as if you were on an infested machine sending infested mails and contaminated attachments in the wild. If it works for you, you can simply ignore this absurd warning.

Kudos0

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately the Norton Level 2 tech call I had scheduled was blown off by them. I'm frustrated for A lot of reasons but most especially because I've converted many people to Norton because I believed in the product. However I've got to rethink my allegiance because they can't get their customer service together.
Kudos0

Hi Aaron,

You should not believe in any software. You should only consider its functionality and effectiveness, no more and no less. It is up to you to test my suggestions or decide otherwise.

Thanks

Kudos0

AntiSpam would not be a factor, since the issue involves outgoing messages and AntiSpam only checks incoming messages.  The Norton warning about turning off email scanning can be disabled by hovering your cursor over "Email Protection" in the Norton "Advanced" screen and selecting "Ignore."  And again, any SMTP error, such as 550, would be returned by a server rejecting the message; it isn't something that Norton would be doing, as Norton does not block outgoing messages without prompting the user first (and even then, it would only be to remove attached malware).  Ultimately, the 550 error is returned because the message is not being allowed to pass through the email server's outbound filter.  We could be of more help if the OP could provide answers to the questions I posted in my first reply.

Kudos0

Hi SendOfJive,

You believe that error 550 is solely an SMTP error returned by a server. Yes, that is usually the case. But do you know what the Norton developers have imbedded in their code? I have no idea. The thread starter has clearly said that without Norton he can send mails. This error is probably imbedded in Norton. Because mails cannot be sent for some reason, Norton shows error 550 without any clarification. As is well-known security suites are not designed to inspect their own flaws.

I remember the agony of users of a famous security suite getting the error “The operating system is currently not configured to run the application.” This appeared while doing full scan with Microsoft Office 2013 installed, or with remnants thereof in the registry. The respective “Technical Support” exasperated affected users telling them to uninstall and reinstall Office 2013, not telling them that this task is actually a mess. With remnants in the registry Office would not reinstall properly. Of course the error persisted after those poor users engaged in uninstallation and reinstallation of Office 2013. In fact this is a Microsoft error which appears if something during the installation of Office went wrong.

So the famous security suite insisted that the affected users had some corrupted installation of Microsoft Office, although their installation was immaculate. It took their developers a year to correct their code in a new (again flawed) release of their software.

Thus I would not insist on anything.

Thanks

Kudos0

I would not completely rule out that the email delivery may be failing due to something that Norton might be inadvertently causing while scanning outgoing messages.  But that is probably the least likely explanation for the 550 error, and therefore not the first thing that should be suspected.  Furthermore, it is still the email server rejecting the messages, so the way to troubleshoot this is to closely examine the messages for anything that might set off an email service provider's spam filter.  Checking with the service provider about their policies on content and permitted quantities of messages that may be sent at one time will frequently clarify why particular emails are not getting through.  There have been a number of threads similar to this one over the years and I cannot recall one where Norton was found to be adding anything to the messages that made them look "spammy."  Almost always, it is something about the message itself, a signature, or the number of messages being sent in a single session, that is in violation of the ESP's policies, causing the server to block delivery.

Kudos0

I'm sending single messages in text format. I've tried multiple email addresses and still have the issue. I'm here with an issue and need help, not a lecture on my semantical use of the word "believe." Norton tier 2 support promised me a call two days ago at noon. They have chosen to not reach out to me as promised. I would, at this point, move to mcafee but I have little faith in the capabilities of that application. Kaspersky is next on the list but I don't know anything about it. I've been with Norton for over a decade and have been generally happy with the application. However from this experience it's clear that the support is atrocious, they don't seem to understand their own application, they don't do what they promise and blame everything on their customers without understanding the issue first. $39.95 does not buy my loyalty. A solid app with good technical support and respectful csrs does.
Kudos0

Is this all messages you send, or only certain ones?

Kudos0

all messages are affected regardless of content or domain being sent to.
Kudos0

Do you use a commercial signature?  You can also send an email to this site to have the message checked for things that might be blocked by a spam filter:

http://isnotspam.com/

Kudos0

My signature is Name Job title Email address Website url Phone number
Kudos0

I have seen cases where a website URL will cause a spam filter to block delivery.  Have you tried removing parts of the signature to see if the mail gets delivered?

Kudos1 Stats

@Aaron - As a test you could also try Mozilla Thunderbird or even Windows Live Mail (since you're on Windows 7). To see if the email would send. If it did send that would tell us Outlook is causing a problem. Trying this would help troubleshoot your issue. Although its up to you.

It would also help to know what version of Outlook you have.
Kudos0

Hello Aaron

You could try checking to see if your IP is on any spam lists. Try one of the methods of changing your IP to see if it's on a Spam List. From your description of your signature, it sounds like it's business emails that's involved. Does this business have a spam detector or spam rules or firewall involved?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.3.21 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

Hi Aaron,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been encountering and would like to help. I've sent you a Private Mail to follow-up.

Thanks and, again, sorry for the frustration.

Matt

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.