• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Uninstalled Norton 360, now my computer won't boot up

Last night I uninstalled Norton 360. It had previously expired, so the message to renew my subscription was getting annoying. After uninstalling it, it asked to restart, in which I did. However, the boot up screen never came up. The motherboard just kept trying to post, but never got to the boot up screen. I need help!!! My system: CPU: Ryzen 7 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aurous -AX370-Gaming K7 OS: Windows 10 GPA: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Uninstalled Norton 360, now my computer won't boot up

Hi Jose Martinez 5:

Are you able to boot your Win 10 computer in Safe Mode?  See the MS support article Start Your PC in Safe Mode in Windows 10 or the How-To Geek article How to Boot Into Safe Mode on Windows 8 or 10 (The Easy Way) for instructions.

If you have Fast Startup enabled in your Win 10 power settings this hybrid shutdown might be interfering with complete removal of N360 services and drivers that are trying to load at boot-up. If you can boot up in Safe Mode and disable Fast Startup as instructed in the How-To Geek article The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode, performing a full shutdown and restart of your system might solve the problem.

If disabling Fast Startup doesn't help, boot your computer up in Safe Mode with Networking and download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode as instructed at https://www.norton.com/nrt (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) to wipe of any remnants of N360 off your computer.
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB v3.3.1

Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestions, however, it doesn't boot up at all. It doesn't even get to the motherboard logo screen. The motherboard keeps cycling through various debug codes. My opinion now is to buy a new motherboard and never, ever get Norton in my computers.
Kudos0

Have you searched for the MB debug codes to see what they are trying to tell you? Just uninstalling a program, even your anti virus program, would not stop a system from posting.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Jose Martinez 5:
...My system: CPU: Ryzen 7 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aurous -AX370-Gaming K7 OS: Windows 10 GPA: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080

Hi peterweb:

Uninstalling Norton would automatically activate the Win 10 Windows Defender AV, and I'm wondering now if the problem Jose Martinez 5 is having is actually due to a conflict with Windows Defender.

Did Symantec ever inform the Gurus about the root cause of the BSODs on the ASUS computers discussed in njsind's recent thread Norton Security Causing x299 Chipset Motherboards to Crash?  It looks like Jose Martinez 5's motherboard has a different X370 chipset but Guru SoulAsylum noted <here> that video drivers for the GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card might be implicated in those crashes.  According to the 10-Nov-2017 product update announcement <here> a bug fix for the X299 chipset was released with the latest Norton v22.11.2.7 but no one from Symantec explained the exact cause before njsind's thread was locked.

I've seen several users with Gigabyte motherboards posting in this forum about about BSODs in the past few years and the problems were usually traced back to an "apparent" conflict with drivers for Gigiabyte utilities like EasyTuneEngine - see Phoenix365's thread Norton Security Blue Screen from Background Tasks for one example.  I say "apparent" because these conflicts were not unique to Norton and were reported in other AV user forums.  From the November 2015 ESET support article Blue screen error (BSOD) on systems with ASUS/Gigabyte motherboards with chipsets H87/Z87 and H97/Z97:

"AI Suite (ASUS) and APP Center (Gigabyte) applications use drivers that create memory-mapped I/O to access hardware ports in a non-standard way. If the memory is subsequently read by another process utilizing a Windows API function (for example, during a memory scan by ESET), it may have unpredictable results on the system and the system may crash...ESET is working closely with ASUS and Gigabyte to make sure this issue get resolved as quickly as possible."

---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB v3.3.1

Kudos0

Uninstalling Norton would automatically activate the Win 10 Windows Defender AV, and I'm wondering now if the problem Jose Martinez 5 is having is actually due to a conflict with Windows Defender.

This might be involved if the computer was getting to the Windows boot up. This user reports the system does not even get past the post process.

Did Symantec ever inform the Gurus about the root cause of the BSODs on the ASUS computers discussed in njsind's recent thread Norton Security Causing x299 Chipset Motherboards to Crash?  It looks like Jose Martinez 5's motherboard has a different X370 chipset but Guru SoulAsylum noted <here> that video drivers for the GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card might be implicated in those crashes.

No. There is no news yet on the x299 Motherboards. And the graphics driver issue still would not be involved yet, as the drivers do not load until after the MB post process is completed. 

We need to hear back from Jose about the debug codes.

Kudos0

See the attached file. These are the codes the motherboard is cycling through.
Kudos0

The one error that sticks out for me is the    50 Memory initialization error occurs.  This looks like you may have an issue with your system memory.

Try removing your memory and re seating it. If more than one memory stick is installed, try installing one stick at a time to see if there is one faulty stick. 

Kudos2 Stats

So, I bought a new motherboard and everything is back to normal. So, that tells me the problem was at the motherboard. That being said I won't risk it and won't be installing Norton any longer. Thanks for the help.
Kudos0

Thanks for posting back.

As for suggesting that Norton had any part in a motherboard failure, I think you will have a hard time finding any proof that any software package has damaged a motherboard. Unless it was malicious software/malware, which a security suite is not.

Good luck with your new choice of security software. Be sure you fully remove Norton using the Norton Removal Tool before installing your new choice.    www.norton.com/nrt

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.