• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Update 22.5

Tom Weiss says:

We are pleased to announce that a Windows 10 compatibility update is now available for Norton Products, updating the version to 22.5.0.124. The following products and versions will receive the Norton 22.5 update:

Norton Security v22
Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus & Norton 360 v21
Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus & Norton 360 v20

This update is available via LiveUpdate, and will be automatically downloaded and installed. If you wish to receive the update immediately, simply run LiveUpdate manually. This update is currently available for English only. More languages will be available shortly, as well as an update for Norton Security with Backup.

Has anyone received this Windows 10 compatibility update?  My Norton Internet Security version is 21.7.0.11 and I have been looking forward to see it updated to this new version announced by Tom but no luck, so far.

The reason I'm raising this issue is NOT because I'm eager to get ready for Windows 10. In fact, I still need to decide if I want to go ahead and upgrade on July 29th or soon thereafter or if I'll wait for the dust and excitement of the early birds to settle first and then take the appropriate action...

No, I just wish to find out if I have read Tom's message correctly and my NIS version is actually to be upgraded to version 22.5.0.124. If so, will this upgrade have any bearing on the Vault location, I mean, "local" vs. "cloud"? I believe it won't but just want to be sure.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Update 22.5

The latest from Norton is the following:

NIS/NAV/N360 version 20 & 21 are not being updated through LiveUpdate. If you wish to get the update, visit the Norton Update Center or update through your product through About > Get Latest Version. I apologize for the confusion.

Another confusing point: the Automatic Download of New Version applies to major updates. So for customers with this setting disabled running Norton Security 22.2, they will receive the update to 22.5, as it is a minor update for that version. However, customers running NIS/NAV/N360 versions 20 & 21 would consider the update to 22.5 a major update, and this setting would be honored.

I don't know if the update has been rolled-out to everyone yet as it's supposed to a random phased release.  But if the above is correct, You will need to have 'automatic download of new version' set to 'on' in your settings to get the update via Live Update.  If not, it sounds like you'll need to use Norton Update Center or About > Get Latest Version to manually update.  Hopefully this update will not get pushed automatically for folks who don't want it yet.

Kudos0

hi LinYu2

I have Norton360 installed on 2 Windows 7 laptops and 1 Surface 8.1.

Yesterday I downloaded the new update without problem on the Surface, I've yet to do it on my 2 laptops.

It looks like the NS I've seen although I don't know if it works the same way. I have done most things with it, update, scan, run the various things that Norton does, it seems to be working in the same way that the older versions have. It's been running all day without any apparent problem. It just takes a few moments to find everything and how it works, the colour scheme looks a bit odd at first but this is no real difference to when software changes and no doubt in a few days it won't be "new".

With NS and NSwB there seems to be a problem using iTunes which does not seem to be replicated with the new version of N360 (22.5.0.124). When looking at my Norton Account and the Norton Studio app when it first opened it shows as a Trial version but after a couple of minutes it changed to show the key and that it was a full version.

Apart from the look and different ways to use the features it seems little different to the old version although, I have no idea what differences there are in the background, if any.

Michael

Kudos2 Stats

michaelsalis:  I have Norton360.  Apart from the look and different ways to use the features it seems little different to the old version although, I have no idea what differences there are in the background, if any.

My Norton product looks different
eg: Total Cloud Protection - a feature that scans your PC directly using cloud-based virus definitions.  (124 info may change)

Kudos0

Hi Michael! Thanks for sharing your experience, so far, with Norton update 22.5.0.124. You don't address the main issue I tried to relay, which is the "location" of the Vault after you apply this update. One way you can tell whether your Identity Safe is located in your PC or in the cloud is to look at the box used to enter your Password for opening the safe (please see image in the link below). It only mentions "Open Local Vault" if, of course, it is located in your System. Otherwise it is located in a server somewhere, God knows where...

Norton has implemented this cloud feature for the Vault starting with the 2012 edition of NIS, if I recall correctly. However, there has always been a way to keep it local for all those folks, such as myself, who are reluctant (to say the least) on trusting a "vault" containing all their most important passwords to some unspecified "cloud", somewhere in the sky, no one ever knows exactly where... In my humble view, this "solution" is even more vulnerable than keeping it at your place. I intend to keep resisting this until I can no longer resist...

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

When you see > Open Local Vault = the password you'll enter is for Cloud Vault.
When you see > Open Cloud Vault = the password you'll enter is for Local Vault.

Kudos0

hi LinYu

I did not mention the Vault as on the Surface I originally had NIS installed which was of a date which meant the local vault was not available which then automatically transferred to N360. I do have a local vault on my 2 laptops but as these have not been updated to 22.5.0.124 I do not know what happens in practice.

I do understand that if you have a local vault and save the settings it remains local when changing to NS & NSwB but it will probably be best to check the NS forum for the steps to take if you are unsure as to how to do it.

Sorry I should have mentioned about the vault in my earlier post.

Michael

Kudos0

@bjm_

michaelsalis:  I have Norton360.  Apart from the look and different ways to use the features it seems little different to the old version although, I have no idea what differences there are in the background, if any.

My Norton product looks different
eg: Total Cloud Protection - a feature that scans your PC directly using cloud-based virus definitions.  (124 info may change)

It's an interesting text, but aren't most of those so-called "new features" already part of the product for quite some time? Also, I notice they left the paragraph about the Vault quite vague... Or is this just my impression?

What is your own take? Can you please elaborate a bit?

Thanks.

Kudos0

LinYu

Navigation around the software is different rather than the type of feature.

eg instead of the yellow colour scheme with the menus in the squares in the middle of the UI the colour is white and green and the menus are at the bottom of the UI in a bar. It looks like the NS/NSwB UI I've seen so the changes appear to be cosmetic rather than in function as far as accessing Updating and scans and the like.

Michael

Kudos0

@bjm_:

When you see > Open Cloud Vault = the password you'll enter is for Local Vault

Really?... Do you mean to say that I have been fooled all this time? I never opted for the Cloud Vault, much on the contrary, you yourself showed me how to keep the Local vault!... 

By looking at the picture I attached above and according to what you're saying, it means that mt Vault is in the cloud? I can't believe it!

Kudos0

LinYu2:  It's an interesting text, but aren't most of those so-called "new features" already part of the product for quite some time? Also, I notice they left the paragraph about the Vault quite vague... Or is this just my impression?

Yes, Cloud Protection is with v22.  Now, as v21 transforms to v22.  NIS/N360 will inherit Cloud Protection from v22.  (eg: no pulse updates)
Norton tech writers imo are infamous for leaving to the imagination. 
As always subject to interpretation.

Kudos0

LinYu2:

@bjm_: By looking at the picture I attached above and according to what you're saying, it means that mt Vault is in the cloud?

I have Local by.... I only need vault password.  If your Vault requires Norton account login + vault password. You are Cloud.

Kudos0

@bjm_:

So, what you're saying now is if one has a cloud vault then the Norton Account pw has to be entered;  if local, then only the vault pw is required... If so, then I would have a Local Vault, which is what I want to have.

I thought you were saying something different before, but I may have misread you:

Actually, once in a while I get a message before entering my opening password asking if I want to go cloud or stay local... Which seems to indicate I'm Local.

Wow... You scared me for a moment!...

Kudos0

Hi LinYu2:
Well, if you compare your vault pic with my vault pic....pics differ despite we both have Local.   My pic suggest Local as password field awaits password and link for Open Cloud Vault awaits connecting with Norton server.  
Local Vault is tied to Windows user account.  In Windows user account.  Local vault asks password.  If I also had Cloud Vault. I would access by Open Cloud Vault link.
As to why your pic shows Open Local Vault.   Um, not in the know scenario.   Sorry

Kudos1 Stats

Hi LinYu,

I am on NSBU V 22.5.0.120 and as I had before the update I have retained both my Local and my Online Vault.  From experience over the years I have learned  to never merge vaults when asked (if you desire to retain the Local Vault) as that will get rid of the Local Vault and if asked , as in my and others cases who have both Vaults,  always answer keep both vaults. I see the keep both vaults question about once a month.

As I understand it, the 120 update has added the Cloud virus checking to NIS and also changed the appearance of the UI and perhaps some settings, but what I am not sure of is, if in fact it also automatically created an Online Vault.  From your log in image it appears you have both a Local and an Online Vault since both log-in options are available.

Kudos0

Um, what does my pic Permalink show.  Do I have both a Local and an Online Vault..? w120

Kudos0

Hi bjm_,

That is what it appears to be (both Local and Online), but what happens when you select the Open Cloud Vault Option?

I'm curious too.

Kudos0

what ever I remember about Vaults.  I've learned from you...

Kudos0

@yank:

Well, I seem to have both the local and the cloud vaults. How this came to be, it beats the heck out of me... I just logged in to both of them. I did not knowingly create a cloud vault. Would this be some case of automatic merging the vaults, local and online, you think?

Does anyone know if there is any way of getting rid of the online vault?

Chucks!...

Kudos0

LinYu2,

Select the option to Open Cloud Vault as bjm_ did and see what you get.  If you get the same thing as bjm_, then you do not have an Online Vault.

@bjm_  Thanks, that tells me you do not currently have an Online Vault - but is offering it to you.

<EDIT> Sorry LinYu2, I didn't  comprehend that you did log into your Online Vault.  Interesting - so you must have one set up.  Now we need to figure out if it was created when you updated your NIS to 120 or if you unknowingly had it prior to that (on NIS) and it just carried it along?

Kudos0

I made a few trials and came out with these results:

-- If I toggle the line in the box to read "Open Cloud Vault" or "Open Local Vault" and then click on "Open", the vault will open in both cases using the same password.

-- Also in both cases, if I enter the password and click on either "Open Cloud Vault" or "Open Local Vault" the password clears out and I am prompted to enter the Password again.

So, it seems to me that I may actually have both vaults but I need to always click on the "Open" button.

Also, please note that I am still on 21.7.0.11 version. I still did not receive the Windows 10 compatibility update. So whatever I have is being carried from behind, not because of the update. All I know is I always tried to avoid the "Cloud Vault" as if it were the plague!... And still, I come to the realization that I got it, somehow or another.

Can I still get rid of it or is it an incurable "virus"???...

Kudos0

LinYu2: Also, please note that I am still on 21.7.0.11 version.

Sorry, ...I may have skewed your ver... by contributor ver to your Thread...

Kudos0

Can someone explain this to me?  I'm still on NSBU 22.2 and today I received a patch via Live Update requiring a reboot. When I checked the log for what was downloaded, this is what it said. Is this in preparation for upgrade to 22.5...124?  Did anyone else get similar? I haven't seen this before. 

BRANDING,NSBU,BRANDINGDIR, Symantec, ESD  2.48MB

MUI,NSBU,MUIDIR  1.77MB

MUI,SSBU,MUIDIR 1.69MB

Kudos0

Just received similar with NSBU 22.5.0.120
"BRANDING,NSBU,BRANDINGDIR,Symantec,ESD","MUI,NSBU,MUIDIR",Reboot Required

Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2:

@yank:

Well, I seem to have both the local and the cloud vaults. How this came to be, it beats the heck out of me... I just logged in to both of them. I did not knowingly create a cloud vault. Would this be some case of automatic merging the vaults, local and online, you think?

Does anyone know if there is any way of getting rid of the online vault?

Chucks!...

If you give the vault the wrong password 3 times it will let you delete it.

Jim

Kudos0

Hi PhoneMan!

This is great news! Just one question before I run into trouble: By doing what you stated, which vault (local or cloud) will be deleted?  Or both? My password is the same in each case.

Kudos0

Oh, and by the way... I just noticed they are not exactly the same. One is NOT the picture of the other... And this is one more detail that brings additional confusion to my unsophisticated mind. Why have two vaults at different locations, if one is not a replica of the other? Why increase my exposure to potential risk, if one vault will not substitute for the other in case of loss?... I must be missing something. But what exactly am I missing?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi LinYu2,

What PhoneMan states is correct and here is the Knowledge Based Article that covers it.

Thanks for the additional information re the contents of both vaults being different (not replicas of each other).  The reason for that later.

I would suggest the first thing you do is Export both sets of log-ins.  In other words, log into the Local Vault, Export those log-ins in both .csv format and .dat format to a safe location (I use a USB stick) and then log out of the Local Vault log into the Online Vault and do the same Exports.

Now, after Exporting, while still logged into the "Online Vault",  do the three incorrect password entries  (as explained in the KB above) and delete the Vault - please note the three passwords must be three different incorrect passwords.  Repeating the same incorrect password three times will not work.

This should leave you with just the Local Vault.  Now I am basing this on the reason why the passwords are different.  The Local Vault is tied to a Windows User Account and the Online Vault is tied to your Norton Account.  There is no syncing (link) between the two.  If you retain both Local and Online (as I have done - mostly for troubleshooting purposes on this forum), there will be a difference between the two (as you noted).  FWIW, my Local Vault has 68 entries and my Online Vault has 155 entries.  There is a way to make them both agree (Export the largest, Import into the other) but it would no longer agree after the first change to either one.  Hopefully that is not too much information.

Hopefully this will assist you.

Kudos0

I am very grateful, yank, for your detailed instructions on how to get rid of the Online Vault. I can't wait to see it going the way of the sunset... But, perhaps with a small dose of over-caution, I need to be sure that if I delete my online vault I'll still keep my Local Vault. As you may or may not remember, I had to go through a substantial lot of work and effort a couple years ago to keep hold of my Local Vault (many thanks to you and others who provided invaluable help at the time for this purpose) and I strongly remain willing to keep it local. At least until I no longer can...

I also followed the link you provided and read all the information there. I feel reasonably comfortable about the steps as described. But still, my password to access both vaults is the same. Would this have any bearing, you think? Coincidentally, my local vault contains 68 passwords (same as yours... ) and my online vault shows 70. Also, as I mentioned before, some of the passwords differ from one to the other, most likely due to updates done in my local that were not synched to the online vault.

I also understand that if I see "Open Online Vault" in the password box, this means I will access the online vault and not the other way around (like an "invitation" to go online instead of local) as it was suggested somewhere before. By the same token, if I read "Open Local Vault" in that same box, I understand it means I will get the local vault, am I right?  

Bottom line and worst scenario: Should I end up losing both vaults while trying to eliminate just the the online one, is there a way to "restore" and use again my Local Vault? This, I believe, is the one million dollar question...    

Many thanks for your continued great help.

LinYu

Kudos1 Stats

Hi LinYu,

It sounds like you got it backwards - when you see this:

You are in fact going to log into the Local Vault.  If you see Open Local Vault, the log in will be to the Online Vault.  That is the way to change which vault you will log into.

As bjm_ said before:

FWIW, the password I have for my Norton Account is the same as my Local Vault password and they do not interact, so I believe you'll be OK.

BTW elsewhere and others have provided excellent info on regaining your Local Vault (if you lose it)

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

I'll be gone for awhile, so it'll be a few hours before I see your next response - just so you do not think I have given up on you.

Kudos0

Oh, gosh!... And I thought yank had put it upside down... Sorry, yank. Please accept my sincere apologies. 

P.S. - I was the one who had it wrong from the very beginning. I can't believe it; this means I have been logging in to -- and using -- the Cloud Vault all the time, the very same "plague" I wished to avoid!... I always thought that the phrase meant that you were logging in to that vault, not that it meant an alternative vault that you could sign in to. What an embarrassment!...

Kudos0

Well, time to go back to work...

@yank:  I did all the steps as outlined above in your post as well as instructions contained in the KB article. Everything went smooth, as far as I can tell, but I got stuck at the point after having deleted the Online Vault. After confirming deletion, this box came up (see figure under link below).

I still didn't go further because of that warning note at the bottom-left "If you already have a Vault, continuing with this step will cause your Vault to be deleted..." I am assuming I still must have a Vault -- my Local Vault -- right?  So where do I go from here?

I'll wait for your directions. Thanks.

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks LinYu, I needed a laugh this afternoon. 

So you have been using the Online vault that you thought you were treating like the plague all along.  In that case it would appear that your Online Vault may be more current than the Local Vault, as that is what you have been using and the one that's being updated with any recent changes.

Kudos0

Indeed!... But I still don't like it...

Well, I'm glad I could provide you with a few light moments in your daily routine...

Now, no less importantly, how do I proceed from where I got stuck? Where is my Local Vault?!?!...

Note: If I try to login, this is what I get (click on link below)... Seems that there is no Vault left, either Local or Cloud. "No Vault for this account..."  Should I proceed to creating a new Vault and then import the data from one of the old vaults? And would this establish a local or a cloud vault?

File Attachment: 
Kudos2 Stats

The first thing is to go to this link and copy the IDDStor2.dat file. This is the Local Vault.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Let us know if that file is still there.

Then I would cancel out of that create page as that is for Online vault only. Then you can logout of your Windows account and login back in (very important to do this) and see if the toolbar says Vault Closed.

Jim

Kudos0

Hi PhoneMan, good to see you around...

Yes, the file IDDStor2.dat is still there, dated 6/25/2015. Also, without having done anything else (I still have that create page open) the Norton toolbar still shows the VAULT IS CLOSED icon. However, when I click on it, the create page pops up. Perhaps I should do a system reboot. Please let me know what I should do next, please.

And many thanks for your "divine" patience...

P.S. - Edited for the name... I may be getting a little tired... Sorry.

Kudos1 Stats

Did you backup that IDDStor2.dat file?

Did you log off and back on your Windows account?

If that does not work a clean install of Norton and adding back the IDDStor2.dat file is the only way to create a  Local Vault.

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

PhoneMan: is the only way to create a  Local Vault.

LinYu2 has Local Vault... 
(you may offer how retaining a copy of IDDStor2 for future new machine to create Local)

Kudos0

OK, I still did nothing, being afraid of doing anything wrong. The IDDStor2.dat file is still there, as I said, and I have it backed up both in my HD and in a pen drive. The Vault Closed icon is also in the NTB. Should I now log off and back on or reboot?

Kudos1 Stats

As you entered different wrong password three times to delete Online.  Online is deleted.
Try Sign In here > https://identitysafe.norton.com/
Try Sign In to Local Vault from Windows User account + Local password. 

Kudos0

Hi, bjm_... Thanks for being here too. Do I have Local Vault???

Kudos1 Stats

logoff/logon is quicker but reboot will work.

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

PhoneMan has chimed in...so, I'll follow from the cheap seats. 

Kudos0

Just rebooted. The Vault closed icon is there. Should I login to Norton Account?

Kudos1 Stats

No Just click on the Vault and see if it opens the Local Vault.

Jim

Kudos0

Just a reminder - the Norton Account has nothing to do with a Local Vault, the Local Vault is tied to a Windows User Account.

Kudos0

Thanks. I clicked and the box shows up for the PW. The phrase is "Open Local Vault". I did not try to sign in.

Kudos0

The box actually asks for my email address to sign in OR to create a new account...

Kudos1 Stats

Click on Open Local Vault and then login.

Jim

Kudos0

Aleluia!!! I have the safe open in LOCAL... Will check contents....

YES... I have the Local Vault and my PWs are there. Will check which ones, if those from the Cloud or from the previous Local...

Kudos0

OK. I already checked - they are those from the old LOCAL, which is... Oh, God! The ones that I was not using, so they may not be all up tp date. But this is nothing I cannot solve for myself.

Now, can I say that my Cloud Vault is actually GONE?...

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.