• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Upgrading Norton 360 v. 2.0 to 360 v. 3.0

After installing IE8 on my desktop and laptop, I began to have problems with Norton telling me my "browser is not set to detect fraudulent...".  Further reading informed me that 360 v-2.0 and IE 8 did not like each other, so with over 8 months left in my subscription, I downloaded and upgraded to 360 v-3.0.  On my desktop, it was really a smooth upgrade.  On my laptop, an older Sony Vaio with Xp Pro SP2, the new program first removed the earlier version and went thru the procedure to install 360 v-3.0.  After several minutes, it showed that it was collecting errors and sending them to Symantec.  After a couple more attempts, I used "Live Chat" and allowed access to my computer.  The eventual outcome was something about there would be an update to address this problem.  That's it. No estimate of when it will come.  I had the same problem installing v-2.0 on the Sony and spentto afternoons with the tech installing it for me, which he finally accomplished.  Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have a solution?  Thank you.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Upgrading Norton 360 v. 2.0 to 360 v. 3.0

Have you tried the NRT and reinstall of N360?  There might be some 'issues' with the upgrade uninstall / install that a clean install will solve.  You can get the Norton Removal Tool here . 

Also, just curious, but why have you not installed SP3 on this laptop?

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Actually there are several threads on the issue between (then beta) IE8 and 360. The main problem that had been reported was that the Phishing filter of IE8 was taking over the Phishing filter of N360 and thus 360 was reporting that it was not in control of watching over the phishing part while surfing the web.  It helped me when I was running V2 of 360 to turn off the Smart Screen filter in IE8. 

360 V3 will be getting updates as testing of compatibility issues are addresed. No official timetable, that at least I am aware of for when when Symantec feels they have addressed the issue fully to say they are working fine together. Although that is the only issue I have experienced between that browser and the 360 v2 or v3.

I hope that is at least of some small help.

Take care,

Mumford68

Kudos0

I have done the NRT and re-install a couple of times, and I think the Norton Tech did also.  I have been away a few days and have not given up.  I am keeping the laptop off, since it is not protected.  As for updating to SP3, there is a possibility I have done so already.  I will certainly check that tomorrow when I am alert.  Forgive me I am getting old. : )  Thank you for your input.  I will eventually get it done. 
Kudos0

Thank you Mumford68.  I did read a lot of the threads and other places.  At least one place, but maybe more, clearly stated that  IE8 and 360 v2 did not play well together.  Since I am running it on both my Dell Dimension and Sony Vaio laptop, I upgrade the v2 to v3, as I have 8 months remaining on these subscriptions.  As during the install, I was able to seamlessly make the change without any problem.  I am running Visa Business on the desktop and it is up to date on all upgrades and fixes.  As I began the change on the laptop, I swallowed hard and dove right into the upgrade.  I had several attempts under my belt while installing v2 and at least two techs from support tried.  The first5 passed me off to his supervisor, who took control for about 1 1/2  hours and managed to get it done.  The tech I talked to before posting tried, failed, and told me they would do an update to address the problem, but once again, he didn't say when it would be forthcoming.  I have been using NIS prior to purchasing 360, which I feel is a good program, but it is too difficult to install on some systems.

Regards,

Attaloss

Kudos0

Hi Attaloss, 

I'm glad that you were able to find the threads and information that pertains to the issue that you were dealing with. I was running very short on time and was not able to get back to my system until now.  So I apologise for not posting at least a couple of links to ongiong threads that deal with this.

Should you have related issues or future issues please feel free to come back and let us know about it so that we can all learn and perhaps be of some assistance to you.

Take care,

Mumford68

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.