• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

[URGENT] NIS 21.7.xx automatically updated to 22.6.xx despite having "Auto download of new version" set to OFF

Have been using NIS 21.7.xx and have set the "auto download of new version" to off.  Have no plan to update to 22.x.x due to the various software crashing.  (Running on XPSP3 with a bunch of programs crashing under v22.5.xx until after v21.7.xx is restored)

Recently renewed subscription (one week ago) and v21.7.xx still runs properly, until this morning when I turned on the computer, Norton automatically downloaded the latest 22.xx and prompted me to restart to complete installation!!  What the heck!!

Just to reiterate, I've tuned OFF the "auto download of new version" to prevent from upgrading, and now Norton is doing JUST THAT!!   I need to retain v21.7.xx and I have no idea what to do now!!  HELP!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: [URGENT] NIS 21.7.xx automatically updated to 22.6.xx despite having "Auto download of new version" set to OFF

Here's a more detailed description of the problem:

1. Have two PCs still running on XP SP3 (one laptop, one desktop).  Laptop has only one user account.  Desktop has three, with one used daily.  Both have NIS v21.7.xx installed (carried over from previous versions but with valid subscriptions).  Both automatically upgraded to v22.x.x but discovered program crashes since October.  Prior to that "Automatic Download of New Version " tab was enabled;

2. On notebook PC, uninstalling v22.x.x and reinstalling with v21.7.xx (without running Norton Removal Tool, since Ghost 10.x is installed) would solve the program crash problem, with all programs affected reverting to working order.  On desktop, a ghost-back was needed to restore system into order.  Since then, both PCs had the "Automatic Download of New Version" option DISABLED;

3. Subscriptions on both machines expired a while ago and have been renewed as part of the "Norton Security Premium 10-PC " license pack.  Desktop's subscription was renewed last week.  Laptop's subscription was renewed a day or so ago;

4. Desktop PC was still in working order and under v21.7.xx, until this morning, when turning on the desktop and logged into XP, was off the desk for a couple of minutes (to wait for system to initialize fully).  Upon return, an NIS pop-up message on right-hand corner indicates new version has been downloaded and prompts to restart to complete installation (restart immediately or restart later, no other options provided).  v21.7.xx was still operative at that point, but the new version installation could not be disabled or cancelled;

5. Restarted desktop and NIS was updated to 22.x.x.  Ran update a few times, restarted a few times;

6. Logged back in and check for previous program errors.  All errors returned, every symptom as reported in last October;

7. Programs that crashed on my systems:
a. Acrobat Pro 8 (installed from CS3 collection): conflicts with "check for update" plugin/operation.  Launch problem and error message occurs within 15-20 seconds with very same symptoms as reported last October.  Also shows C++ script error etc.

b. Firefox/Thunderbird: clicking a direct email link under FF would not launch TB's write message window but instaed shows error message similar to (a);

8. Eventually uninstalled v22.6.xx on desktop but did not use Norton Remove Tool (due to Ghost 10 being installed as well).  Completed installation, restarted, updated program.  However, the program crashes described in (7) persist instead (unlike on laptop where the same operation would solve all program crash problems);

9. Eventually ghosted back to fomer state where original subscription license was installed.  Renewed with new license.  Currently checking for other errors but have not proceeded to chedk the affected programs yet.

10.On desktop with three user accounts, NIS settings are the same, with "Automatic Download of New Version" option DISABLED on each account.

Will post more with screencaps later.

In short, the "Automatic Download of New Version" option under NIS 21.7.xx, when disabled, somewhow got overrided and proceed to v22.6.xx update just like when the tab is enabled.  How come?  Also checked the Norton account page online and there's NO option to automatically download new verion.  So what exactly is the bug here?

Kudos0

Re: [URGENT] NIS 21.7.xx automatically updated to 22.6.xx despite having "Auto download of new version" set to OFF

Hi anon743,

Look at #3 above:

3. Subscriptions on both machines expired a while ago and have been renewed as part of the "Norton Security Premium 10-PC " license pack.  Desktop's subscription was renewed last week.  Laptop's subscription was renewed a day or so ago;

I may be mistaken, but renewal using the Norton Security Premium (NSP) key will install version 22.6 (even on an older NIS install).   I'm guessing you entered the new NSP product key using "I have a Product Key" option... and things progressed as they should - showing the new days remaining etc.  Later (as in when rebooted), Norton detected that NSP key was used and Norton updated itself.

That is my opinion - not Norton's - hopefully someone else has a better answer.

You can try to uninstall 22.6, and install using www.norton.com/oldnis in order to try to return to 21.7.

Kudos0

Yes it's the license from the NSP 10-PC pack.  When NIS v21.7.xx original subscription expired, I simply updated subscription with new NSP key, and product subscription was updated without automatic v22.6.xx install.  Since then there's no "days remaining" on the home screen but instead "Active" where I click in and can still check how many day are remained.

However, when I asked in this forum previously if a new subscription key would work on an older NIS version, the answer was a definite YES.

The problem is that, as I've described earlier, on the desktop, even with "Auto Download of New Version": disabled, Norton DLed v22.6.xx in the background and installed it without my permission, and exactly ONE WEEK AFTER subscription renewal.  At least after that new version installer's download Norton should prompt me a message to choose between "accept" or deny" new version installation.  But that's not the case -- instead there's a message asking to restart "now" or "later" to complete installation.

But here's the problem: on the desktop, even after uninstalling 22.6.xx and restoring to 21.7.xx the program crashes as mentioned earlier REMAINED and cannot be fixed whatsoever.  Probably some kind of C++ script corruption after v22.6. install but I just cannot tackle the problem.

The problem is really annoying and I've never seen this before in my life!  Now, even after ghosting back (which is the current state as we speak), I have no idea when Norton would hijack NIS 21 again and forcibly DL and install v22.6 again.  Very very scary indeed and YES, could some dude at Symantec explain??

Kudos0

OK so here are some screencaps on the Acro Pro 8 (installed as part of CS3 bundle) failure.  To reiterate:

1. Program crashes within 15-20s after launch.  Also checking for updates will receive the same symptom.  To continue using Acro8 normally, Updater plugin must be manually disabled;

2. Similar messages appear when under Firefox a direct email link is clicked on.  Normally, Thunderbird's "send message" box should appear.

And just to confirm: latest v22.6 does NOT solve the said (and other) program crash problem, so it MUST be avoided under XP.

So another big question: next time when I start up my system and if Norton forcibly downloads v22.x.xx again, how should I stop it from proceeding??

Kudos0

Just curious - I see no response from peterweb's question in the following post:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6986361#comment-6986361

"Did you enter the new product key into all your computers? "

Just thinking perhaps if the new key was not entered in all - that could be the difference between your laptop and your PC's reaction?

Kudos0

I don't think you're hearing me clearly, and the discussion is getting more and more off-topic.  Let's get back to my real issue please!

Anyway, what I understand is, when a subscription expires there's only one way to enter the new subscription code or new product key, and as long as either is entered, the new subscription continues.

Also on a multi-PC subscription, when the first PC's subscription is activated the clock starts counting down (say, N days left).  So for any subsequent PCs that get activated with the new subscription will get fewer days left, ie. N - X days left where X is the days after the first PC's subscription activation.  There's no requirement to have ALL PCs' subscription activated at once.

In the past, when using an older software version, there may be prompts on the right hand corner asking if the user is interested in updating the the latest version (ie. when new versions are released), and that the user can always decline the offer.  Like I said, this is NOT the case here and that the v22.x.x update forcibly started.

And let me reiterate: on the laptop and desktop concerned, keys for the new (and same) subscription have been entered accordingly.  And all PCs subscriptions are synced with the Subscription Server properly.

Kudos1 Stats

I still feel your real issue is that you permitted your previous subscription to expire.  By it expiring, it completely stopped working. 

That means when you entered the new subscription key for NSP, your old install was removed and the NSP 22.6 was installed.  That happening put all your settings in NSP to default (including the auto download of new version). 

If you in fact have NSP installed and it the new key removed NIS, then NIS should not be shown in your Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs).  Also what does it say under Help > About for the name of the product you have installed?

I totally understand how a license works in regards to multiple activations - BTW, under Management - how many seats are available on the Services Tab?  This will also tell you if you have NIS or NSP installed.  Total of 3 available for NIS and 10 total for NSP.

You may have missed it, but I did include a link for the download in a previous post if you desire to go back to 21.7

Sorry you think this thread is going off topic, but if you do not respond to questions, we have no way of seeing your system and can not help you as well as if you answered our questions so we can get a feel for exactly what you have installed on your system.

Kudos1 Stats

anon743:

I have NIS v21.7.0.11 installed on my 32-bit Vista computer and unless there's been a recent change in policy that I'm not aware of, you should not be automatically upgraded to v22.x as long as Settings | Computer | Updates | Automatic Download of New Version is disabled.  You've noted that this setting is disabled when you log in under all three Windows user accounts on your desktop, but there are still ways that you can start an upgrade e.g., clicking on Support | Get Support or Support | New Version Check and accidentally starting the offered upgrade, logging into your Norton Account and clicking the Download button, or running the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool [which is different from the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) which wipes all Norton products off your system]. 

You might find some helpful information about product keys in frzhoc's thread renewing NIS 2014 v 21.7.0.11.  As I noted in that thread, I had a 3-PC license for NIS that was about to expire and was able to use a cheap 10-device product key I purchased for Norton Security with Backup (now called NS Deluxe) to renew my NIS 3-PC license for another year. I contacted Norton Customer Service at www.norton.com/chat and they simply added 365 days to my about-to-expire NIS v21.7.0.11 subscription and I've never been prompted to upgrade to v22.x.  I didn't enter the new product key myself at Support | Enter Product Key to activate the subscription as you did but I'm not sure why that would make a difference - but yank might be correct that allowing your subscription to expire and then entering the product key via your Norton GUI might somehow override your Automatic Download of New Version setting and schedule an automatic upgrade.

Is it possible you have more that one active subscription / product key that's complicating matters?  Log into your Norton Account at https://manage.norton.com/, select Services, and choose Active from the Show dropdown list.  If you have more that one active subscription this might be something that Norton Customer Service can straighten out for you via a Live Chat at www.norton.com/chat.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you've rolled back the problem XP SP3 desktop back to NIS v21.7.0.11 with Norton Ghost and that your only concern now is that you will be forced to upgrade to v22.x at some point in the future even though Settings | Computer | Updates | Automatic Download of New Version is disabled.  This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the unexpected upgrade had something to do with the fact that the desktop was upgraded to v22.x and then downgraded back to v21.x after Adobe Acrobat started crashing (i.e., before you used Norton Ghost to roll back the entire system) without running the Norton Removal Tool.  If it's possible that you still have remnants of that old v22.x installation on your system after rolling back then your only option might be to uninstall your Norton programs (including Norton Ghost) from the Control Panel, re-boot and wipe all your Norton products off your system with the Norton Removal Tool, re-install NIS with the offline v21.6 installer at www.norton.com/oldnis while disconnected from the Internet, and then immediately disable Automatic Download of New Version prior to re-connecting and running LiveUpdates to patch your system back to v21.7.0.11 to avoid another accidental upgrade.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0.1 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550@1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

@lmacri

I've checked the Norton Account online and currently there's only ONE subscription running (ie. NSP 10-PC license), and that my machine is on the list.  And all but only two (or three) machines still running on XPSP3 still have v21.7.0.11 installed.  As I check the web account interface there are limited settings, let alone any option to "Auto DL of New version," although there's a big "Download" tab, which I've NEVER touched myself.  Although, another family member also has access to this online account and MIGHT have clicked that by accident.

But even so, I don't see why clicking Download should command Norton to DL the newest versions to ALL the PCs within the same subscription, and automatically initiate installation without any override option.  But if that is the case, then perhaps Symantec has some big explanation to do as to why the "Auto DL of New Version" setting in the original NIS GUI is being invoked?

On the v21.7.xx interface I have NOT done the following:
1. Clicked for "New Version check" under Support
2. Clicked  "Check for New Version" under taskbar icon menu

A few other details:
1. I've had NIS for many years.  From NIS 2013 (20.x.x) to 2014 (21.x.x) I let v20 updated to v21 while still under v20's subscription, and when that expired, I simply continued with the v21 license key (3-PC two years), which recently expired and was succeeded with the current NSP 10-PC subscription;
2. v21 was updated to v22.x sometime last September for the first time under v21's subscription, and was running until after the program crashes were found.  (Prior to that, "Auto DL of New Version" tab has been enabled.)  The system was then ghosted back to a state where NO traces of v22.x components were present, and "Auto DL of New Version" tab has since been disabled;
3. After the most recent rollback the PC is now in a state where no v22.x traces are present.  Live update with v21.7 still works properly, without prompting to install v22.x whatsoever (at least for now);
4. Instead of renewing subscription a few days prior to the old one's expiration, I always let the one one expire before proceeding to the new subscription, where I type in a new key as usual.  I've never extended any subscription from an about-to-expire key since this is NOT the way my household treats subscriptions.

> This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the unexpected upgrade had something to do with the fact that the desktop was
> upgraded to v22.x and then downgraded back to v21.x after Adobe Acrobat started crashing (i.e., before you used Norton Ghost to
> roll back the entire system) without running the Norton Removal Tool.

The only time that occurred was in my laptop (w/XPSP3 Home) when I had to manually uninstall v22.x and reinstall v21.x without running NRT.  That was back in October, and out of no choice since that laptop has not been ghosted for a very long time.  However, such uninstall and reinstall process has successfully fixed the programs crashing problem.

Unfortunately the outcome is NOT the same when I did the same uninstall/reinstall on the PC concerned (XPSP3 Pro) during the most recent fiasco, where the program-crashing scenarios remain and cannot be fixed, until after ghosting back to a clean state (ie. w/o v22.x gunk).

Nevertheless, one thing is confirmed: current v22.6.xx still has not fixed ANY of the program-crashing issues (C++ script errors for example) reported in previous threads, and as long as this remains, people should avoid v22.6.xx and stick to v21.7.xx as long as possible.

Simply put, Symantec is definitely screwed up on this one.  Now my PC is in a clean state which has also been ghosted recently with absolutely NO v22.x traces.  But still, anything could happen, so we'll see.  If my desktop is being hijacked again this week with the v22.6.xx install then I'll report the new case in the Forum, along with new screencaps. 

Kudos0

anon743:

The only time that occurred was in my laptop (w/XPSP3 Home) when I had to manually uninstall v22.x and reinstall v21.x without running NRT.  That was back in October, and out of no choice since that laptop has not been ghosted for a very long time.  However, such uninstall and reinstall process has successfully fixed the programs crashing problem.

Unfortunately the outcome is NOT the same when I did the same uninstall/reinstall on the PC concerned (XPSP3 Pro) during the most recent fiasco, where the program-crashing scenarios remain and cannot be fixed, until after ghosting back to a clean state (ie. w/o v22.x gunk).

Nevertheless, one thing is confirmed: current v22.6.xx still has not fixed ANY of the program-crashing issues (C++ script errors for example) reported in previous threads, and as long as this remains, people should avoid v22.6.xx and stick to v21.7.xx as long as possible.

Hi anon743:

Just an aside on your program crashes.  I'll comment about your forced upgrade to v22.x in a separate post.

I recall from your Oct 2015 thread Problem with NIS 22.5.x.x on WinXP that you were one of many users who were unable to run  Mozilla Firefox, Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc. after Norton v22.5.4 was released on 28-Sep-2015.  I know you downgraded to NIS v21 to fix your crashes but here's an update on the issue.

Symantec released an update for the Intrusion Prevention System (IP engine v7.4.0.83 / IP engine v15.0.2.19) via LiveUpdate around 20-Oct-2015 that fixed a known conflict with Norton v22.5.4 and Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) - see Symantec employee miket's post <here>.  Unfortunately, this didn't fix the program crashes for all affected v22 users and Symantec employee Tony Weiss' thread Hot Fixes & Issues - Norton 22.5 (last updated 23-Mar-2016) still lists the following item as a known issue for v22.6.0.142:

"2) Certain applications such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Acrobat Reader, Outlook, MS Word etc, don't work with Norton installed. Forum Link"

I don't have definitive proof, but I suspect these program crashes are related to the Protective Exploit Protection (PEP) feature added to Norton v22.5.4 back in Sept 2015 - see Symantec employee jblake's product announcement Introducing Proactive Exploit ProtectionNorton v21.7.0.11 does not have this PEP feature, which is why a rollback to v21 likely solved your problem.  If you ever experience similar crashes with Acrobat, Firefox, etc. on a Norton v22.6.x or later product, try disabling PEP in your Smart Firewall settings (Settings | Detailed Settings | Firewall | Intrusion and Browser Protection | Exploit Prevention) as shown <here> to see if that stops the crashes.  That temporary workaround has helped a few other v22.x users who chose not to downgrade to v21.x. - see Emile L's and BigKahunah's recent posts in the thread Microsoft Word VFPODBC Issue since recent Norton Update for one example.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0.1 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550@1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

anon743:

4. Instead of renewing subscription a few days prior to the old one's expiration, I always let the one one expire before proceeding to the new subscription, where I type in a new key as usual.  I've never extended any subscription from an about-to-expire key since this is NOT the way my household treats subscriptions.

Hi anon743:

I agree with yank that allowing your subscription to expire could be part of the issue, and you might have to change how you renew your Norton product going forward now that NIS (3-PC) licenses are no longer available for purchase.  If you're going to use a new NS v22 product key (1, 5 or 10-devices; PC, Mac or mobile device) to renew your NIS subscription then you're going to have to be hyper-vigilant to prevent an upgrade from v21.x to v22.x.  Next year, I'd suggest that you contact Norton Customer Support via a Live Chat at www.norton.com/chat a few days before your subscription expires and and ask them to do what I did this year - have them add 365 days to extend your current NIS subscription and void the new NS v22 product key you purchased.  That way your old 25-digit product key won't change and you shouldn't have to worry about an unexpected upgrade.

Microsoft has used some very aggressive tactics to push Win 7/8.1 users to accept their free upgrade offer to Win 10, and many users with these older OSs have installed programs like Never10 and GWX Control Panel to prevent their systems from "accidentally" upgrading to Win 10 during Windows Updates.  I don't know if Symantec is taking the same approach to "encourage" Norton users to upgrade from v21 to v22, but I'm grateful that they still maintain download links to the offline v21 installers, allow 32-bit Win XP and Vista users to renew their older v21 products with NS v22 product keys, and even support old Win XP machines with single core CPUs (Pentium III or older) that do not support the SSE2 instruction set - see the support article <here> with instructions for installing v21.x products on machines with these older CPUs.

As I check the web account interface there are limited settings, let alone any option to "Auto DL of New version," although there's a big "Download" tab, which I've NEVER touched myself.  Although, another family member also has access to this online account and MIGHT have clicked that by accident.

I'm not a Symantec employee, so if someone from Symantec doesn't reply in this thread you should contact Norton Customer Support directly via Live Chat and ask them if a user with NIS v21.7.0.11 (and the Automatic Download of New Version setting disabled) could be automatically upgraded to v22 when they allow their subscription to expire and then use a new NS v22 product key to start a new subscription. You should also ask them why you have a Download tab in your Norton Account - that might be normal for some users but I only see Home / Devices / Services tabs when I sign in at https://manage.norton.com/.

------------

Kudos0

Hello anon

I would solve this issue by having a chat with Customer Support and tell them what has been done and ask them directly if the household Norton Security Premium key can be used on your XP SP 3  which has NIS21.7 on it and you just want to use that key on your 21.7 computer and keep it on 21.7 while the rest of the household has upgraded to 22.6.. Ask them if it is possible..Symantec Employees only seldomly post in the Forum.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

@lmacri
Thanks for detailed input.  A few things to clarify:

1. The said program-crashing scenarios occur in just XPSP3 machines when v22.6.x is installed.  On W7 (Pro x64 for example) environment such scenarios don't seem to occur, which is why on the W7p netbook concerned (now W10p unfortunately -- some old goon "raped" it) I've continued to let v22.5.xx run back then.  Also, on the W7 environment concerned EMET apparently wasn't installed;

2. Regarding PEP: the first time program crashes occurred was last September when v22.5.4.xx was installed.. Not sure if PEP could be disabled back then but I think I've tried to disable something within v22.5.xx's settings, but that didn't solve the program crashing problem.  The only way to see if PEP is the culprit is to wait till another instance when v21.7 is hijacked again and upped to v22.6.x (but let's hope that doesn't happen again).  But still that doesn't explain why on the W7 environment and with PEP on, no such program crashes have occurred;

3. You said Norton v21.7.0.11 does not have PEP feature.  So if PEP is the culprit, then uninstalling v22.6.x and reinstalling v21.7.xx should solve the problem, correct?  But such uninstall/reinstall was successful only on my XPSP3 laptop but NOT on my main XPSP3 desktop, where the program crashing scenarios continue to reside -- until the machine is ghosted back to a state not sullied by v22.6.  Can you explain this?  (Although, I nave not run NRT during uninstall, so I don't know if uninstalling with NRT would solve the problem.)

4. All previous and present subscriptions of my household are two-year plans.

Anyway when I have a chance I'll contact Norton Live Chat to address the issues.

@floplot
Only XP machines need to run on v21.7.xx after all those rigorous testing.  The rest of the machines run on a concoction or 7, 8.x or 10 and probably v22.6.x as well (although, I have no control of those machines' behavior and usage since it's some old dude's preference to run on new stuff, without thinking of the repercussions).

Anyway it will be up to me to manage anything still on XP.  I'll address the issues and refer the staff to this thread when I get a chance to deal with Norton Live Chat

Kudos0

floplot:

I would solve this issue by having a chat with Customer Support and tell them what has been done and ask them directly if the household Norton Security Premium key can be used on your XP SP 3  which has NIS21.7 on it and you just want to use that key on your 21.7 computer and keep it on 21.7 while the rest of the household has upgraded to 22.6.

Hi floplot:

I don't believe there's any restriction on the version number you use if you have a NIS 3-PC license.  If I purchased a new Win 10 computer tomorrow and wanted to install Norton on that computer I'd have to use one of  my available seats to install the Win-10 compatible NIS v22.6.0.142.  I would not be forced to upgrade to NIS v21.7.0 11 on my Vista machine. 

The problem anon743 encountered is likely due to the fact that he allowed his NIS 3-PC license to expire.  When he entered the new product key for NS Deluxe (10-device PC, Mac or mobile) he started a new 1-Year license for NS, and the new NS product line does not have a v21 installer.

By renewing my NIS 3-PC license as described earlier (i.e., asking a Norton Customer Service rep to add 365 to my current NIS license and void the NSBU product key I purchased at Staples), I kept my old product key as well as the terms of my old license - I still have a 3-PC license and don't enjoy the benefits of the 10-device NSBU product key that was voided.

Symantec employee Tony Weiss's posted the following  in frzhoc's thread Norton 360 vs Norton Security, when asked if a NSBU key would work with N360:

"It's difficult to explain. Norton Security with Backup is the top product we offer, and because we're still transitioning from our older NIS/NAV/N360 product line, we offer those as available to be activated with the new key. We know that most people will eventually get on the current products, but for now, this is a perk of purchasing a subscription to the new products."

I agree with you that the best thing for anon743 would be to contact Norton Customer Support via LiveChat to see what his options are - and hope that he catches someone who's willing to accommodate his requirement for NIS v21.7.0.11 because of the Acrobat, Firefox, etc. crashes with v22.6.0.142.
------------

Kudos0

anon743:

1. The said program-crashing scenarios occur in just XPSP3 machines when v22.6.x is installed.  On W7 (Pro x64 for example) environment such scenarios don't seem to occur... Also, on the W7 environment concerned EMET apparently wasn't installed;

Hi anon743:

Sorry, I have no idea if Norton v22.x users who still have issues with the Acrobat, Firefox crashes all have older 32-bit XP and Vista machines or if they have some other third party software (perhaps security software similar to EMET like Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit) that is causing the conflict with Norton.  This issue has been listed in Tony Weiss' Hot Fixes & Issues - Norton 22.5 thread for nine months now so you'd have to ask Norton Customer Service for a status update on the bug fix.

2. Regarding PEP: the first time program crashes occurred was last September when v22.5.4.xx was installed.. Not sure if PEP could be disabled back then but I think I've tried to disable something within v22.5.xx's settings, but that didn't solve the program crashing problem.

When PEP was added to Norton v22.5.4 in Sept 2015 and third party programs like Acrobat, Firefox, etc. started crashing on some systems, there was no setting to disable PEP. The firewall setting to disable PEP was only added to Norton v22.6.0 in Feb 2016 per the product announcement Norton 22.6 Product Update available now.

3. You said Norton v21.7.0.11 does not have PEP feature.  So if PEP is the culprit, then uninstalling v22.6.x and reinstalling v21.7.xx should solve the problem, correct?  But such uninstall/reinstall was successful only on my XPSP3 laptop but NOT on my main XPSP3 desktop, where the program crashing scenarios continue to reside -- until the machine is ghosted back to a state not sullied by v22.6.  Can you explain this?  (Although, I nave not run NRT during uninstall, so I don't know if uninstalling with NRT would solve the problem.)

I'm not certain that PEP is the culprit, but I always recommend that users who are downgrading to uninstall Norton from the Control Panel (selecting the "Please remove all user data" option), re-boot, and then run the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) to ensure that old registry entries and user configuration files (e.g., static files with extensions like .dat, .txt, etc.) are wiped.  The only exception is if the user still has a local (.dat) vault for their Norton Identity Safe password manager - see my instructions in guit30's thread New NIS interface is awful.  I understand that you don't want to run the NRT because you also have Norton Ghost installed, so rolling back your system with an older image might be the better option for you.
------------

Kudos0

@Imacri

Just to clarity, yes I have to allow any original subscription to expire and be renewed with a new key, as this is how my household treats subscription matters and I really have no say (or veto power).  So subscriptions from older keys rarely get extended and are simply supplanted by newer product keys instead.

Back in NIS2013 days (v20.x) I wasn't aware of the "Auto DL of New Version" tag so when 2014 (v21.x) came out and with the said option set to on I was prompted a few times to upgrade, but I declined -- and there was no instance of any forced upgrade whatsoever.  Eventually I upgraded to v21.x which IMHO is one of the best (and stable) NIS versions.  Not quite so with v22.x.x and this forced update fiasco is still bugging me.

It's almost two weeks since I've renewed the NIS subscription as we speak, and I have no idea what would happen to NIS on the 14th day.  Whether Norton would force-update my v21.7.xx upon my next startup, I have no idea.  Fortunately, I've a new ghost image ready this time just in case.

Anyway I'll update this thread on the latest situation (on both laptop and desktop) by then.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.