• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Using an existing key on a new laptop with a running trial of NIS 2014

ok I bought a slightly useed laptop from a friend. I mean he had it like a week before his work gave him another laptop to use. Laptop runs a windows 8.1 OS. No the laptop came with a trial version of NIS 2014 which my friend activated. So it is running on the laptop. I have a 3 user license of NIS 2014 of which I still have one key remaining. So my question is can I use that key to changethe trial to a full length subscription to NIS 2014? I know one can if they started a trial and want to keep it But in this case the other person started the trial, so I imagine the trial is under his account. If I use my key will it make the NIS on the laptop fall under my 3 user license?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Using an existing key on a new laptop with a running trial of NIS 2014

The OEM Trial was probably under a Trial key and not linked to a Norton account.  You have nothing to lose.   How many days remain under the Trial.  Try your key a day (or two) before Trial expires.  When ever your ready before Trial expire.  Register as required.   Then make sure Remote Management is enabled in NIS.  Your Norton Management account should reflect new device after awhile.  If your friend named the new computer.  You may want to make note of the name or change the name.   As long as you're sure Trial and your key are for same Norton product ~ eg: NIS.    Also, update the warranty info with the computer vendor.  If your friend registered new computer with vendor. eg: HP   You'll need info on box.  Model and Serial number etc.  

Kudos0

ok the trial version is the latest version of NIS 2014 which is the same product I have a key for. So I suspect I just hit renew on the trial UI and enter in my key?
Kudos0

Sorry all I have butchered this question by asking parts of it within other question So I’m hoping to succinctly pose it here Have a laptop with a trial of NIS 2014. I currently have NIS 2014 3 user on two of my other computers. Would like to use the 3rd license on the new laptop that is running the trial version of NIS What is the process to do so
Kudos1 Stats

Try the key on the Trial.  If it works you golden.  If not...pull a pre-activated install from your Norton account. 
Since, the Trial I presume is a limited Trial....you're wanting to activate and extend Trial term to match your subscription. 

Try the key...if no joy.  I suspect a clean install of subscription NIS is best ...even though you are working with the same product.  Trials' just have "stuff" that is best cleaned out before installing subscription Norton.  IMO

How-To: Download and Install your Norton Security --- NRT 

Kudos0

thanks you saying that the trial should be removed and a fresh copy installed?
Kudos0

Mott72:

Trials' just have "stuff" that is best cleaned out before installing subscription Norton.  IMO

Kudos0

bjm_:
Mott72:

Trials' just have "stuff" that is best cleaned out before installing subscription Norton.  IMO

Sorry, but I need to call BS on that response, Norton trials are full blown products that need nothing more than an active key to be activated - as I responded on Mott72's other thread - which only included general info - not the info contained here about the prior activation!

Now that said knowing that another user may have activated the trial on their system, it is possible that this trial needs to be removed prior to installing an activated product - but from what I have read, the trial is past the 30 day point already.  Of course we do not know how long a trial was activated by the previous user neither?

Kudos0

the person had the laptop maybe a week before we got it. The NIS 2014 trial was running fine, getting updates, scanning, etc. why would it matter who initiated the trial version on the laptop? so now I'm way confused. As I understood the same thing that trials are the same as the product, just a shorter coverage I would hate to think that I need to uninstall the "trial" version rather than extend the subscription
Kudos0

As I stated and will state again.....try the key.   If key does not work....IMO ~ I would go for a clean install. 

I have no way of knowing the T & C and License criteria for the Trial.   If the key works..  You're golden.   If the key does not work... pull a pre-activated install.  

Kudos0

OK Mott72,

You posted on Dec 30that you bough a one week old laptop from a friend who has already activated a trial of NIS 2014.  That started the trial (but did not impact the registration to a product key).  Now it is Jan 30 - more than 30 days after the time the other user activated the trial - had it expired? 

Please look and tell us how many days are left on the trial, it should be counting down on the main page of NIS.  If you have days left, you should be able to just enter your key (as I said in the other post).  If in fact the trial has expired, you'll need to start all over again with an install - I would suggest from your Norton Account.

If the previous user in fact registered (using his own key), then the current NIS would have to be uninstalled and reinstalled (once again from your Norton Account) using you own product key.

Hope that clears things up.

Kudos0

ok first thanks to you all for helping. Sorry I was so scattered. The lap top came with the free trial of NIS 2014.The trial was turned on or whatever the term is by the friend, but was not added to his Norton account ( i dont think he even has one). NIS 2014 was running and scanning, getting updates, etc. Yesterday, the subscription status showed 2 days left in the trial. We had also been getting Norton notifications about needing to renew or some type of terminology So here is what I did, some of the link names and terminology may not be exact as I neglected to write down my steps So last night I opened the NIS 2014 User interface. I clicked the renew link. there was some type of link that said something about if one had a key. Since I had 1 license still left on a current 3 user NIS 2014I clicked that link and there was a product key type set of boxes to enter the product key. I entered the key and hit I think "next". It took a little time, maybe 30-85 seconds and then indicated activated when I looked at the subscription status it showed the same number of days remaining that my other two computers show like around 225 days On my other LapTop I went ahead and opened the NIS 2014 UI and clicked on "Account" then was taken to that webpage. I logged into my Norton Account. When I looked at devices, it ony showed 2, not the Laptop I just extened the subscription for But I did look at my current product and it showed all three license are now used, one for the older lap top that has my name, one for a windows 7 Desk Top and then one for the new Laptop I just activated the subscription for ( this laptop has no name, just the manufactuer name) so it sounds like the new laptop is good to go huh? My only sticking point is it doesnt show under devices when I log onto my Norton account

Kudos0

Hello

On the new laptop, click on help--->subscription status. That will synchronize the laptop with the Norton servers. If you do have any questions about your Norton Account, you can have a chat with customer support and tell them what you have done. Wait though a couple of days to see if your account catches up to what has occurred. If after a couple of days and it still not showing up, then try the chat program.

.Please contact the free chat program by using this link.

http://www.norton.com/chat

Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.