• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Vault Freezing on NIS 2013

About a week ago, the PC started to freeze a few seconds after the Vault password was entered and had to be rebooted. There was also random freezing when using the Web, but not when using normal Windows apps. After a lot of playing about, I found that if the Norton Desktop page was running in the background then Vault worked properly and there was no freezing up. But, as soon as the Desktop page was closed, IE9 immediately froze. Any suggestions? PC uses Windows Vista with SP2 and IE9. All the MS updates are installed

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Vault Freezing on NIS 2013

Hi npTiger,

Quick queston - has NIS 2013 been updated to version 20.3.1.22 yet?  I ask as it cleared up quite a few of the weird Vault problems. You can tell your version by opening NIS and then selecting Support > About.  If not the current version, please run LievUpdate (rebooting when requested) unitl LiveUpdate responds "no updates found".

Please let us know how you get on.

Kudos0

Thanks

Confirm version as 20.3.1.22

Kudos0

Thanks npsTiger for the version number.

Is there any reason you are using IE9 instead of IE10?  I'm not saying upgrading will help, so we'll try other things first.

If you can get logged into your ID Safe Vault, please use the Export function to backup your ID Safe Data.

Open NIS and select Support from the Main page and then select Get Support from the drop down.  Let it update and scan and see if it finds errors or fixes anything. 

If that doesn't help please run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. Remember to run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) untilLiveUpdate responds "no updates found".

Please let us know if anything improves.

Kudos0

Removed and Reinstalled with symptoms persisting. Autofix reported failure to fix LiveUpdate, so used Intelligent Updater, which reported success. Re-running LiveUpdate found three more updates but symptoms persist. Autofix again reports failure to repair LiveUpdate. On rebooting, the Norton icon on the toolbar has a red cross until the Norton desktop is started, then it changes.

I use IE9 as IE10 download site says it needs Windows 8 and I have Vista.

Kudos0

Now getting an Error 3039, 65543. I suspect we have a virus somewhere.

Kudos0

npsTiger wrote:

Now getting an Error 3039, 65543. I suspect we have a virus somewhere.

Error code 3039,65543 appears to have a newish knowledge base article dated March of 2013.  You can try it, but I have my doubts.

Why do you suspect virus - just a gut feeling?

BTW - that is a good reason to stay on IE 9 - sort of like the XP users on IE 8! 

Kudos0

It feels rather like something is trying to spoil the exercise, rather like a sophisticated virus might try to - for want of a better phrase - defend itself.

Interestingly, I repeated the remove/reinstall/update procedure and then ran a full system scan. NIS reported checking just over 300,000 whereas a couple of days ago a full scan reported over 700,000. Not sure if that is significant though.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi

Progress at last!! I changed the video card and the problems appear to have disappeared. The original was a NVidea 8300GS and I've read reports of problems with driver updates with this card, so I'll call it a day for this query. Thanks for all your help

Kudos0

Glad you got it sorted - who would have thought the video card?  Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.