• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Vault Open/Close & Share Via doesnt appear in Norton toolbar in Firefox v42.0

I have just gone back to FireFox as my browser to see if Norton Identity Safe was working again. To my surprise, the toolbar appeared, but the most important parts were missing.

All that appears is: Norton Safe Search and if the page is secure or not. The option to Open or Close the Vault is missing, and the Share Via option is also missing.

I have checked my Nortons via "Live Update" to make sure I have the latest updates, and made sure I have the latest version of FireFox -- so I know thats not the issue.

Is anyone else having this issue - or should I just go back to Google Chrome where everything works fine???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Vault Open/Close & Share Via doesnt appear in Norton toolbar in Firefox v42.0

Kudos0

Re: Vault Open/Close & Share Via doesnt appear in Norton toolbar in Firefox v42.0

India called me yesterday... they have no estimated time for a fix.  This is disgusting.

Kudos0

Yep, me too. REALLY ANNOYING!  It seems there are three dots on the toolbar and you have to select those, then select identity safe. So the simple method to simply select the VAULT button is GONE!  More keystrokes and why, oh why?  It's not that they need the space on the toolbar, it already takes up a huge blank swath of desktop space, which in itself is really annoying.  Norton, are you listening? Please put the VAULT back on your toolbar.  Then, figure out a way to get rid of all that blank space you are using up with your toolbar!

By the way, I am not a "newbe."  I have been contributing to the Norton community for years but they seem to have lost my credentials so I had to sign up again. What is happening to this once fine company?

Kudos0

TBH I have had enough, it makes firefox unusable with this update, since the whole point is to be able to use the vault automatically with the browser.  After years of using Norton, I think this will be the last. Currently avoiding the update to keep the vault working with Firefox 39 until I have found something that will work and can then xfer my vault info to something else ...

Kudos0

Captain Bruce,

FWIW, I m using IE 11 and have no problems with using ID Safe (either Local or Online Vault) and can also  combine my NTB  and IE Menu Bar on the  same line.  I know IE is not for all users, but I am just trying to show it is possible to continue using the  NTB and save real estate on your screen with the change to another browser. 

Kudos0

You are quite right yank in your assertion that the vault does work with IE BUT as you also rightly point out IE is not for all users.  That is why so many (discerning, dare I say) users prefer Firefox and to keep switching between FF and IE is a pain in the backside which is also why so many people are saying that if they have to choose between FF and Norton then it will be Norton that goes.

I am being patient with Norton in the hope that they will get their fingers out and get it sorted soon.  If not I'll be voting with my feet too.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

The Vault will be back on the Toolbar for Firefox. Try and think of it like this. You live in a house that is getting an addition built on it and you are also remodeling the place.  Doesn't it take time to do? Don't the different parts in the house have to be tested out before you can use all the parts. I know people who have had to go to a motel to live in while their house is being fixed up after a fire. It takes time to rebuild a house. In the mean time you still have to pay the property taxes even though you are not living in the house or you have to rent a motel for a week or 2 depending on what is getting fixed. It takes time to build a house. It takes time to build a Toolbar also. You have to pay property taxes while you can't live in the house and you have to lose time without a completely working Toolbar. I know it's a inconvenience, but that's how it is I guess some people would sell the house if they get tired of living in a motel while the work is being done. Don't forget how nice a new house is after it's been furnished. Perhaps the same thing will happen with this Toolbar.

You will probably all say it's not a good analogy.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Well, it certainly took some time to write such a lengthily reply.  Are you with Norton? Do you know for sure that the vault will be returned to the tool bar? 

If you are with Norton, can you guys do something about the vast amount of (wasted) space taken up by the Norton toolbar in Firefox?

Sincerely - Captain Bruce

Kudos0

Hello CaptainBruce

I am a Guru. I volunteer my time here trying to help customers with their products. As a Guru, I do have limited contact with some of the Symantec Employees. I would say from almost certainty that the Toolbar with the Vault will be returned to the Toolbar and it should be working better like a new car would work if you bought it new from a good company after having a 10 year old car. However, today you can usually get a new car right off the lot with only a few days wait, so I guess that's not a good analogy.

Right now the Toolbar may seem to have wasted space because not all the functions of the Toolbar are there yet. I believe you can hide the toolbar when you are not using it.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Nice thoughts but I have been having incompatibility issues for a long time, recently since Firefox 39 was updated and I had to revert to 39, every time since when I have checked a firefox upgrade I am told that the Norton tool bar etc. will not work until it has been upgraded by Norton. I wait patiently - Firefox is now at 42 and Norton is still not working properly with it.

Due to a recent auto upgrade from Norton my wife has had to go to Chrome just to get the Vault working with the browser because she lost the Vault in Firefox and without some reversion of upgrades (Norton) I will not be able to get it back again.

Seems to me that the Firefox and Norton folks need to talk about compatibility and synchronise releases or maybe Firefox just is not that important to Norton or Firefox don't want us using Norton :-)

Kudos0

Hello Anthony

Please see the FAQs listed on top of the Forum for some information which was just released late this afternoon.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks for the info floplot, it really only confirms my concerns. Months before anything comes out to resolve this and meanwhile the alternative is go to Chrome or IE or cut and paste passwords. My wife is so pleased :-(, she has headed to Chrome for now but I am looking for sensible ways to handle this, meanwhile I am avoiding updates from Norton or Firefox. Ho hum ...

Kudos0

Hello Anthony Mayes

You shouldn't avoid updates from Norton as you will miss your security updates which are important for your protection. A new Norton Version has just started to be given out in a phased manner. It is version 22.5.5.15. Please don't confuse it with 22.5.5.14 that was released last week but was pulled before everyone received that update. As far as having a password manager, a lot of customers are using the free version of Last Pass. I think that is the name of the program. You can export your identity safe using a CSV file and import it into that program. Using that, you can still use Firefox.

Thanks.

Kudos0

22.5.4.24 is the version it updated to auotmagically yesterday and then I lost my vault in firefox as well. Not sure where your versions are, but update check tells me mine is up to date, so 22.5.5.14/15 are not available to me. Would they help me in this situation? I thought Norton announced yesterday that they were going to take months to fix this vault issue.

Anyhow - I will find an alternative, thanks for the suggestions but the baseline remains the same.

Kudos0

Hello Anthony

You are behind in your versions, but 22.5.5.15 just started to be distributed on Wed. in a phased in manner. Not everyone has received this version yet. The newer versions do fix some parts of the Firefox Toolbar.

Read some of the posts in this forum from customers who have tried other security programs. They will tell you that the other programs have problems with getting their Toolbars to work with all the new Mozilla rules that are present now and will be in the near future. Look up user hok and see what he has to say. His name comes to mind now.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Dear Floplot,  In spite of your assurances, the Vault still does not work. VERY annoying. Not your fault, I realize but why are you championing these guys? Norton really doesn't seem to care about this.

Kudos0

Well after my last post Norton did an auto update - I guess the Wed upgrade you talked about floplot, low and behold - no more vault in firefox and no obvious way to return it to a previous version to get it working. Much to my disgust I am now having to use Chrome. I am with Captain Bruce on this - why are you championing these guys when clearly they are making life impossible for Firefox users?

Currently looking for a working alternative to xfer my vault to with a security supplier that has a better track record with this when I have more time over Christmas.

Kudos0

Hello

If you had a local vault and it became a online one, you can get back. If you want to do that, I can find you the directions. The vault is not working temporarily according to the Norton announcements.. Its supposed to take several months.  The contents are still there. You can use your cell phone to access your vault.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Unfortunately, my vault is online. Thanks, I know you are trying to help.

Several months?  That is BS!  Again, why are you championing Norton? Several months in the software world is an eternity and that's not what I am paying for.

Otherwise, merry Christmas, or whatever your holiday is.

Kudos0

FWIW,

Please see the following link, specifically #4 for workarounds.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/faqs-norton-toolbar-compatibility-issues-firefox-42

Also staying  topic in regards to the Share Option (from the three dots), Share is still available in Internet Explorer. 

Kudos0

Hello Anthony

I am not championing Norton. I am trying to point out the information that Norton has made available to it's customers. As yank has pointed you to the actual thread by Sunil, one of the Symantec Admins for this Forum, you will see what I was trying to inform you about. As a Guru, I try to help my fellow users as I am a user of Norton products also. I don't use Firefox, I none the less to try to pressure Norton to get this Vault done faster for you users. You do not see what I try to do  with Norton because it's behind the scenes. And just because I am a Guru does not mean I agree with everything, but I still do point out what they have announced.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Just one more piece of information. I do have the "3 dots" and if I click on them the vault appears. If I click on the vault, it asks for my password and even though I put in the correct password (and it is accepted,)  it still doesn't actually work. Very frustrating.

Kudos0

Just one more piece of information. I do have the "3 dots" and if I click on them the vault appears. If I click on the vault, it asks for my password and even though I put in the correct password (and it is accepted,)  it still doesn't actually work. Very frustrating

That's right. The Vault is still under construction so it will not actually work yet. When the Vault is a finished product, I would think that the final instructions would be given out when the Vault is completed and ready for public use.

I know you are all waiting to hear when that is going to happen, but there is no information about a date as of now. Sorry about that.

Thanks. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.