• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Ver 18.5.0.125 auto downloaded and wants to install !!???

I am running Win XP-Pro SP3 & IE 7  and NIS 2010 17.8.0.5.

I have not ,and do not intend to install NIS 2011 for a while until all bugs are fully worked out.

Today - I received a Norton popup saying that the new NIS has been downloaded and ready to install !   Fortunately there was a "remind me later button" to abort the process.

I searched my computer and found the following new files and folders:

Norton Folder (not new)

File > NAU.exe

Folder > _lck

Folder > {NIS_prod_1.6.18_18.5.0.125}

Files > NIS-UPGRADE-ESD-NoDefs-18-5-0-125-EN.exe

> Symcdefs.exe

> 2011 Plugin.dll

Please confirm that:

1)  these are the offending folders and  files that auto downloaded

2) are there any others?

3) that they can be safely and simply deleted (or advise procedure).

4) how to prevent them from re-downloading  (I will manually download the complete full offline program when I wish to upgrade to NIS 2011).

Your responses are appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ver 18.5.0.125 auto downloaded and wants to install !!???

I am running Win XP-Pro SP3 & IE 7  and NIS 2010 17.8.0.5.

I have not ,and do not intend to install NIS 2011 for a while until all bugs are fully worked out.

Today - I received a Norton popup saying that the new NIS has been downloaded and ready to install !   Fortunately there was a "remind me later button" to abort the process.

I searched my computer and found the following new files and folders:

Norton Folder (not new)

File > NAU.exe

Folder > _lck

Folder > {NIS_prod_1.6.18_18.5.0.125}

Files > NIS-UPGRADE-ESD-NoDefs-18-5-0-125-EN.exe

> Symcdefs.exe

> 2011 Plugin.dll

Please confirm that:

1)  these are the offending folders and  files that auto downloaded

2) are there any others?

3) that they can be safely and simply deleted (or advise procedure).

4) how to prevent them from re-downloading  (I will manually download the complete full offline program when I wish to upgrade to NIS 2011).

Your responses are appreciated.

Kudos0

Hi,

Here is a bit information about Norton Update Agent (NUA.exe)

What is Norton Update Agent (NUA.exe)

Vineeth

Kudos6 Stats

Hello Lexus2456,

The first time you see the Update Notification, it will look like this: 

If you click on "Remind me later", the next time you see the notification it will show this: 

If you click on Don't show this message again, it will remove the download from your computer and not notify you again.

If you don't want to update to 2011 and want to have the downloaded files removed, it would be best to allow the Norton Update Agent to handle the removal using these steps. 

Let me know if this helps!

Kudos0

Thanks for the link. 

To correct my original post, the file in the Norton folder is NUA.exe.

According to this Norton article, at some time in the future the prompt will reappear and I can select "Do not show me this again".   Hopefully the "nag" will go away.

However the partially downloaded NIS 2011 program (only 32MB) still resides on my computer as well as this new program - Norton Update Agent, as well as the other files listed.

So can I simply delete everything I listed and get rid of this "nanny" intrusion?  Concern about NUA is that there is no apparent uninstaller or way to disable it from downloading NIS 2011 again.

And, if this partial download remains on my computer will it in any way interfere with my updating to NIS 2011 in the future utilizing the complete NIS 2011 download so my computer can be disconnected from the internet while perfoming the update?

Thanks

Kudos0

Tim,

Thanks for your response (I was typing my second response above while you must have been posting yours).

As long as the folders and files will be removed from my computer after selecting "Don't  show this message again", I'm good.

If it doesnt, we need to revisit my previous questions/concerns.

As an aside, why doesnt Norton forewarn customers what they are doing?   And why not simply ask a customer if they want to upgrade BEFORE downloading anything onto their computers vs removing files after they are already downloaded?

From what I read NIS 2011 allows the user to "prevent" this from happening, so why was the NUA.exe even automatically downloaded to NIS 2010 users with no option to stop it??

Kudos3 Stats

Hi Lexus2456,

The files are download automatically at the convenience of the user, so that when they see the prompt with the option to update, it can take less than a minute to do the update (rather than having users download afterwards, which depending on the connection speed might take some time). 

2011 DOES include the option to prevent this, which should be even more of an inventive for you to update to 2011. This option isn't available in previous versions of the Norton software, so NUA will automatically run and download the latest version, and give the option to the users if they wish to install. 

Over the years there has been a balance war of "how much information does the user want from Norton" when running the software. A lot of people want the software to just run and do it's thing and not bug them. Other people want more control over everything and don't mind getting "too much information" from the Norton product. Thats why we have (for example) firewall settings that allow you to see a dialog for every connection, or to just let the Norton product handle everything. 

With the 2011 products, we're giving more power to users by allowing them to choose to participate or not in New Product Updates. Once you update to 2011, all future updates to newer versions should be in your control. 

There's still a lot of users out there who don't know they get free updates to new versions of the product. This is targeted towards them to help keep them protected.

Check out these previous threads on NUA for more information:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Update-Agent-Process-in-Task-manager-appearing-today/m-p/178911#M89715

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/what-is-NUA-exe/m-p/183884#M91932

Kudos1 Stats

Tim,

Thanks again and I won't belabor this but the NUA.exe was installed on my computer 1/4/2011 and then it downloaded the NIS 2011 stub file creating the notification, etc. and now an hour's worth of my time.

Why not simply create a popup and inform the user they can update and ask if they want it before installing all this stuff on their computers?  Hopefully all will be deleted when I properly refuse on the next notification screen, but if it doesn't or causes issues on the way  out - then what?

And will this process take the NUA program with it?  Cause right now its running as a "process" taking up valuable processing time with no purpose what so ever. 

Also I found and read the thread regarding the poor guy who is on dial up that had this auto downloading totally clogging up his phone line with no choice.  And there are many rural people in that same boat, yet Norton is force feeding all this to everyone instead of simply asking if you want it to begin with.

Can you pls confirm that the NUA program/process will be removed with the other files when I click on the notification next time?

Thanks for your help, responses and links -  I wont shoot the messenger any more !!

Kudos0

Hello Lexus2456,

Yes, It will remove those components as I stated in my previous message. 

Kudos0

Moved post to new thread for better exposure.
Kudos0

OK - the Norton pop-up came up again today and I selected the:

"Dont show this message again".

After that the previously downloaded files were removed from my computer - yea!!!!

The NUA..exe is still in the Norton folder, but it appears that its "process" is no longer running.  I can live with that, but wonder why it is still there?

Appears no harm done, but still feel sorry for the people on dial up that have to accept the stub download before they can opt to not install it and then remove it.  W/be much better to simply remind customers that it is available if and when they want it.

To that end, can someone post a link to the current full NIS 2011 download for offline installation?

Kudos0

Lexus2456 wrote:

To that end, can someone post a link to the current full NIS 2011 download for offline installation?

ru serious? after you said you want the nortons 11 files off your computer you want to now know where to get them?

just go to the norton update center. i forgot the link tho.

----"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
Kudos1 Stats

The fact that I choose for now not to install 2011 until more debugging is done does not mean that I will not update at some point in the future.  But when I do it will be from a fully downloaded program file which will allow one to disconnect from the internet during the process.

(I have yet to hear a complete explanation on how one can remain connected to the internet while a partial program deletes your old program and installs a partial new program without some vulnerablilty to the internet during the process).

Anyway at some future point I will manually update, but some may want to update now - but not via the auto stub download.  So for their convienence I made the request.

The update center requires you to remain connected during the uninstall/ install process, it is not the stand alone program I requested.

Kudos0

Just wondering how long it took for the other pop up to come up after the first one happened because i have yet to see another one. Tho befor this post i read "Try going to mecilinous settings and turn off in product advertising and restart" in another post and did that but i unchecked that once i saw this post hopefully i see the other pop up soon :(

Kudos0

Hi Lexus2456:

You can currently download the English NIS 2011 v. 18.5.0.125 installation file from http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/CLT/NIS/US/2011/18.5/ESD/NIS-ESD-18-5-0-125-EN.exe .  This link was posted by PapauZ in pd417's thread here

The normal NIS offline download page at http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis11/ is still linked to the previous v. 18.1.0.37 as of January 10, 2011 but it should be updated soon.

If you ever decide to upgrade to NIS 2011 at a later date please remember that you'll need your NIS 2010 product key to finish the NIS 2011 registration process.  If you ever loose your product key you should be able to view it by logging in to your Norton Account.

_________

MS Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit) * IE 8 * NIS 2011 v. 18.5.0.125 * NU v. 14.5.0.120
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Kudos0

Some reason i can't edit post but i ment to add to the previous post:

Will it take a couple of hours or a couple of days for the 2nd pop up to appear.

Kudos0

On my system the pop-up came back 2 days after the 1st one showed up.

Kudos0

I too had received NUA.exe on 1/4/11. It shows in C:\ProgramData\Norton

However, I do not see NUA.exe in my task manager or active programs

I also have yet to get the "would you like to install the new version" pop up yet. It is over a week. While I'm glad I don't have to deal with it yet, I do wonder why It hasn't happened

Also, I do love the Norton Protection. BUT I do think it rather cheap tactic to download on one's PC without one's permission. As I read the NIS 2011 product has the option to stop this, can't NORTON stop the process from their end for us 2010 users? I mean you guys stopped the roll out of the funky NIS 2011 update. Why can't this other process just be stopped from being delivered from Norton's end??

Kudos0

let me be clear, I'm still VERY happy with Norton protection, just not so happy with this particular method

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.